• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

VHex+ amplifier modules, kits and boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last edited:
Hi Maty,

I have actually never measured its SNR some proper way, as I didn't see any practical reason for that - it's one of the quietest amplifiers I ever dealt with :D

Anyway, if I have time, I will measure it for the marketing purpose ;)

Cheers,
Valery

By the way, I don't see any sense in measuring the SNR of a power amp at 1W if you know the SNR value at 100W. Just take the one at 100W and subtract 40db, right? The signal is 40db lower, the noise is the same.

The problem with the SNR is in how it has been measured. Very few times the manufacturers specify it!

To be able to compare the easiest is to use A-wighted to 1 watt / 8 Ohms.

An example, John Atkinson (Stereophile) with Pass Labs XA200.8:

Pass Laboratories XA200.8 monoblock power amplifier Measurements | Stereophile.com

The unweighted, wideband signal/noise ratio, ref. 1W into 8 ohms and taken with the input shorted to ground, was an excellent 83dB. This improved to 88.2dB when the measurement bandwidth was restricted to the audioband—and was even better, at 92.1dB, when the measurement was A-weighted. Like the other Pass Labs amplifiers we have reviewed, the XA200.8 is quiet.

As with the XA60.8 monoblock that we reviewed in December 2017, both the odd and even harmonics of the 60Hz power-supply frequency were present in the amplifier's noise floor, though these all lay at or below –100dB ref. 1W into 8 ohms (fig.3).

218PXA25fig3.jpg

Fig.3 Pass Labs XA25, spectrum of 1kHz sinewave, DC–1kHz, at 1W into 8 ohms (linear frequency scale).

Last edited:
SNR

OK, guys... it appeared to be not that easy with the gear I have in hand.

My True RMS voltmeter has got the resolution of 100uV and it shows 000.0 mV with no signal at the output.

I switched to the oscilloscope - minimum value it can measure is 80uV, however, it also shows zero. OK, let's take the worst value that would be rounded down to zero - that would be 39uV of the noise signal.

That gives us:
SNR (2.83V) = 97db (1W @ 8 ohm)
SNR (28.3V) = 117db (100W @ 8 ohm)

Then I have connected my audio analyzer and tried to see the spectrums.
The first picture shows the spectrum with the amplifier off.
We see a 50Hz artifact - some kind of a ground loop caused by the way the analyzer is connected to the amplifier.
The second picture is 28.3V RMS output (same measurement scale, I didn't touch any settings) - we see the same artifact a little bit grown up, all the rest is very close to the "off" situation.

That's the best I can do at the moment. Need some uV RMS meter for more precise measurements.

Attachments

• zNoise-01.png
    zNoise-01.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 419
  • zNoise-02.png
    zNoise-02.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 438
ODNF

Searching info about ODNF I found:

ODNF or no GNFB power amp

No-global-loop amplification

Investigation of feed back techniques 12 by Paulius Jurkstas

[PDF] Paulius_Jurkstas_investigation_of_feed_back_techniques.pdf - Google Drive

Chapter 1

Theory

Two distortion reduction techniques were investigated:

• Hawksford’s distortion correction technique for unity gain output stage (Hawksford’s stage or EC) [1]

• Only distortion negative feedback (ODNF) [2]

Both techniques use feedback to reduce distortion. The main difference from a regular negative feedback systems is that in these techniques only distortion signal is fed back.

Last edited:
H2 dominance

No-global-loop amplification

I have no idea about the soundcard performance, plus a high-sensitivity microphone input adds a lot of noise, but we can still see the harmonics profile and the way ODNS suppresses high-order harmonics. This is 25W output @ 8ohm resistive load.

H2 is reduced by 6db; H3, H5 and H7 - by around 15db - resulting in excellent profile with H2 dominance and rather low higher order components.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.