• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Modulus-686: 380W (4Ω); 220W (8Ω) Balanced Composite Power Amp with extremely low THD

MOD686 Build

I built up at MOD686 a few months ago, now it has proved itself to be a reliable setup (my build not tom's boards) I thought I would post some photos and information.

I used the SMD pre-populated boards and the metal backed LM3886's. In hindsight I would have made my life a lot easier by using the plastic insulated ones :rolleyes:

Power supplies are Chinese SMPS's that I bought directly from the manufacturer and ordered at +/- 32 V, I chose that voltage as they are slightly unusual in that they "stiffen up" as more load is applied, so I played it safe with the voltage. I have used them before and found the quality of construction to be good and the important parts seem to be of good quality. At 328 Yuan they are also very cheap.

I already had a 5U Dissipante case sitting around doing nothing from another project that I abandoned so it made it easy to pull the trigger on the MOD686.

I would like to have used tom's mains controller but with the horrible US/AUD rate the bare boards were already comparatively expensive for me so I cheaped out and found some good looking boards from Taobao that would work with a momentary switch.

I've been putting my power switches underneath instead of on the front panel for a while now, keeps the front looking clean and the LED doesn't burn a hole in my head :)

I bought keratherm insulators to use but had to abandon them them due to getting continuity from the heatsink to the modules. They do not like alcohol anywhere near them it seems. I wasn't prepared to risk it so I used some ceramic ones I had, no continuity with them, but they were sensitive to splitting torquing the LM3886's down so there was an amount of trial and error to get it right.

I have been using the amp in my system and I am pleased with it. I was using and still have a First One 1.4. They both sound good, there is a difference between them. I haven't made any attempt to compare them more fully as I have had trouble with DC protection tripping the First One with certain tracks. I haven't included any DC protection on this build, no tripping on any track no matter how much low Hz is in the track :) If I fix that at some point I might try and do a longer comparison.

The pictures are fairly large so I've left them as attachments below.

Attachments

• IMG20190809155517.jpg
    IMG20190809155517.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 650
  • IMG20190809155542.jpg
    IMG20190809155542.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 658
  • IMG20190809155600.jpg
    IMG20190809155600.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 640
  • IMG20190809155617.jpg
    IMG20190809155617.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 609
  • IMG20190809155634.jpg
    IMG20190809155634.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 605
  • IMG20190822173919.jpg
    IMG20190822173919.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 326
Reactions: 1 user
What a fluid build! Seriously!

Looking forward to your subjective comparo between the 686 and First One. Given how unreliable I have seen so many First One amplifiers (to no fault of their owners), that alone would make me veto the design. An unreliable design isn’t conducive to preserving my sanity no matter how good it sounds!

Best,
Anand.

Lovely clean build - congrats!

+1

Thanks sharing your build here fluid :)

Nice build fluid! Enjoy the music!

Do
Thanks for the positive comments :)

What a fluid build! Seriously!

Looking forward to your subjective comparo between the 686 and First One. Given how unreliable I have seen so many First One amplifiers (to no fault of their owners), that alone would make me veto the design. An unreliable design isn’t conducive to preserving my sanity no matter how good it sounds!

Best,
Anand.
I burnt the zobel on two of mine but that was me being careless :eek: They aren't universally stable so care is needed.

Beautiful build Fluid. Ive built two stereo 686 amps about 7 months ago using the same power supply you have. I'm using them to power my Lxmini speakers. I'm happy to report everything's still working fine.
I recognised the supplies in your build which was another reason for me to pull the trigger :) Good news on the reliability too.

Would you share the source of the Chinese SMPS units, Fluid?
No problem. This is the 800W version ?? P800 LLC????? 800W??? ????????????-???

Use google chrome to open the page to make translation easier

Looks great with a fine level of detail. Superb clean looking job!

I'm not surprised you had problems with the ceramic insulators cracking. The Dissipante heatsinks (in fairness in common with any other extruded heatsink) is banana shaped, and it is also difficult to get the two halves of the heatsink in perfect alignment.

Manufacturers of such heatsinks often have a caveat regarding flatness, and if that is important (it always is, of course!) that they should be machined flat. I don't have a machining capability, so the last Dissipante heatsinks I used I laboriously flattened using abrasive strip glued to a piece of plate glass.

So just came across this amp design. Looks very interesting. Saw a guide of supply voltages VS. power output. What is the upper limits of this amp as far as power supply voltages and power output?

I recommend staying at or below ±36 V.

There are some rare circumstances, under specific conditions, where I will support pushing to ±40 V (for example to eliminate the whine of the Mean Well RPS-400 series of SMPS). If you do push beyond ±36 V, the power supply must be regulated and the heat sinks must be large (~0.2 K/W or lower).

Tom

Thanks, folks. My impressions with the CBT24s are excellent. They have pinpoint imaging, and they create a giant sweet spot that is very evenly filled with sound. I built them about 2 1/2 years ago when the kit was first released.

The Modulus 686s power them as I hoped they would. I have a Modulus 286 stereo amp that I used previously with the CBTs, so I had a good idea of what to expect. I've only had the 686s up and running for a couple of days, so I'll hold off on further impressions until I've spent more time with them.

My stereo system is currently in my garage / billiard area which is a bit messy for staging photos, but here's a pic of one of the CBTs back when I had them in the living room.

35551628675_bb8f32e7bf_c.jpg