Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Modulus-686: 380W (4Ω); 220W (8Ω) Balanced Composite Power Amp with extremely low THD
Modulus-686: 380W (4Ω); 220W (8Ω) Balanced Composite Power Amp with extremely low THD
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2018, 08:17 PM   #721
Mark Whitney is offline Mark Whitney  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledwards12375 View Post
daansan:

I plan on using one PS per channel rather than two.

Does this mean that you want to run each amp with only one 36V power supply connected? This will not work as the amp needs +/-V.
Old 14th September 2018, 09:51 PM   #722
TioFrancotirador is offline TioFrancotirador  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchr View Post
Brackets in action!
+1 that rocks!
Old 14th September 2018, 11:58 PM   #723
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Whitney View Post
Does this mean that you want to run each amp with only one 36V power supply connected?
No. What this means is that he will use one pair of RPS-400-36 to power two Modulus-686 modules.

Tom
Old 15th September 2018, 12:05 AM   #724
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TioFrancotirador View Post
+1 that rocks!
Thank you. I rather like the new brackets myself. I was inspired by the Parasound JC-1, which uses a similar bracket design. I happened to see a "help me fix my JC-1" thread somewhere here that showed the insides of the JC-1.
I went with pressed in (self-clinching) nuts rather than the self-tapping screws used in the JC-1 (and just about any other commercial product). I never quite trust self-tapping screws to cut clean threads without leaving shards behind. With the self-clinching nuts, I get to use regular M3 machine screws.

Tom
Old 15th September 2018, 01:36 AM   #725
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Modulus-686: 380W (4&#937;); 220W (8&#937;) Balanced Composite Power Amp with extremely low THD
Tom,

Besides these new brackets, will you still have the previous ones available for builders who prefer those?

Btw, the new brackets look good form and function wise. I might be wrong, but probably the older bracket would allow the builder to get away with fewer holes tapped into the heat-sink?

Last edited by zman01; 15th September 2018 at 01:41 AM.
Old 15th September 2018, 02:29 AM   #726
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Besides these new brackets, will you still have the previous ones available for builders who prefer those?
Nope. Maintaining inventory is a pain in general. Also, inventory is basically stacks of cash sitting on a shelf, except you can't spend it (or invest it in your business) until someone buys something. So maintaining two items with identical function is not my cup of tea.

The main advantage of the old brackets is that they made for a very nice module with the critical part of the thermal interface handled on the bracket (so by me for the assembled modules). Unfortunately, I was not able to get them manufactured to the level of quality I needed. The ones I shipped were selected from a batch of brackets and I stand behind those.

The new brackets offer a better thermal interface (direct connection to the heat sink on the LM3886es) and are less critical of production tolerances. They're also much less expensive ($25 instead of $40).
The drawback of the new brackets is that they require more holes in the heat sink (10 vs 7 in the old bracket) and the holes are smaller (M3 vs M4).

That said, ModuShop charges 25 Euro per heat sink to drill and tap the holes. I find the cost to be well worth it. I will also offer a drill template that you can use to get the holes in the right spots. Gimme a day or two to get that drawn up.

Quote:
Btw, the new brackets look good form and function wise. I might be wrong, but probably the older bracket would allow the builder to get away with fewer holes tapped into the heat-sink?
True. That's one of the drawbacks. On the other hand, the brackets eliminate the needs for board mounting holes in the bottom panel. It's way easier to drill and tap all the holes in the heat sink than to drill and tap the heat sink and align that pattern with the holes in the bottom panel.

Tom
Old 15th September 2018, 03:03 AM   #727
diyAudio Member

Modulus-686: 380W (4&#937;); 220W (8&#937;) Balanced Composite Power Amp with extremely low THD
Quote:
The main advantage of the old brackets is that they made for a very nice module with the critical part of the thermal interface handled on the bracket (so by me for the assembled modules).
Yes, that was definitely a plus point. The assembled modules had a really nice "finished product" appeal, with all the LM3886es fixed onto the bracket.

Quote:
On the other hand, the brackets eliminate the needs for board mounting holes in the bottom panel. It's way easier to drill and tap all the holes in the heat sink than to drill and tap the heat sink and align that pattern with the holes in the bottom panel.

Tom
In full agreement.

Since there is no back plate with the new brackets, would you still be soldering the LM3886 on to the PCBs?

Have the prices of the fully assembled modules on your website been adjusted to reflect the savings from using the new brackets? My assumption was that previously the fully assembled module came with the brackets, as the image showed as such, but I might be wrong.

Last edited by zman01; 15th September 2018 at 03:09 AM.
Old 15th September 2018, 05:04 AM   #728
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes, that was definitely a plus point. The assembled modules had a really nice "finished product" appeal, with all the LM3886es fixed onto the bracket.
I absolutely agree.

Quote:
Since there is no back plate with the new brackets, would you still be soldering the LM3886 on to the PCBs?
It wouldn't be a "fully assembled and tested module" otherwise.

Quote:
Have the prices of the fully assembled modules on your website been adjusted to reflect the savings from using the new brackets?
Nah... I charge what the market can bear (or likely less, actually). I think I'll just buy myself lunch with the change.

Quote:
My assumption was that previously the fully assembled module came with the brackets, as the image showed as such, but I might be wrong.
The previous fully assembled module option was the Modulus-686, fully assembled, on an angle bracket. You bolted the bracket to the heat sink. I even included the thermal paste with the module.

You're asking good questions, though. I'm not bringing the old bracket back, so the question is what the finished module should look like. I have a few options:
  1. Build a jig to allow me to assemble the modules and get everything aligned correctly. Deliver modules as fully assembled boards with a bracket on each end. The builder would then need to attach the LM3886es and brackets to the heat sink.
  2. Have a custom back plate machined. That would be pretty simple. A piece of rectangle extrusion, possibly with machined faces, with some threaded holes poked in it. I'd assemble everything and the builder would bolt the module to a heat sink just as with the old bracket.
  3. Have ModuShop machine a stack of heat sinks for me and deliver the Modulus-686 module mounted on the heat sink.
I gotta admit that Option 3 is pretty attractive. Supporting both options 1 and 3 would be workable as well as the heat sinks could double as jigs.

Tom
Old 15th September 2018, 05:29 AM   #729
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You're asking good questions, though. I'm not bringing the old bracket back,
Tom,

Sorry if it came across that way, but no pressure on bringing the old bracket back. I very well understand the challenges of a small business, and also not in favor of sinking $$$ in building up inventory of items that might be sitting there for a long time...!

Quote:

so the question is what the finished module should look like. I have a few options:
  1. Build a jig to allow me to assemble the modules and get everything aligned correctly. Deliver modules as fully assembled boards with a bracket on each end. The builder would then need to attach the LM3886es and brackets to the heat sink.
  2. Have a custom back plate machined. That would be pretty simple. A piece of rectangle extrusion, possibly with machined faces, with some threaded holes poked in it. I'd assemble everything and the builder would bolt the module to a heat sink just as with the old bracket.
  3. Have ModuShop machine a stack of heat sinks for me and deliver the Modulus-686 module mounted on the heat sink.
I gotta admit that Option 3 is pretty attractive. Supporting both options 1 and 3 would be workable as well as the heat sinks could double as jigs.

Tom
Option 2 also gives nice flexibility for folks with existing heat-sinks and chassis or other brand/make of chassis.

But I guess you will have to go for the options that best cater to your customers. If most of them are doing builds with the ModuShop cases, then it points towards that direction.

Whatever your course of action, thanks again for your open dialogue and thoughtful approach. Wish you all the best!
Old 15th September 2018, 05:52 AM   #730
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Sorry if it came across that way, but no pressure on bringing the old bracket back.
No worries.

Quote:
Option 2 also gives nice flexibility for folks with existing heat-sinks and chassis or other brand/make of chassis.
So would options 1 and 3, actually. If you can cut a rectangular opening in your chassis of choice and drill some holes, you can use ModuShop's heat sinks on any chassis. The only difference between options 1 and 2 is that with option 1 you have to drill three more holes.

Quote:
Whatever your course of action, thanks again for your open dialogue and thoughtful approach. Wish you all the best!
Thanks. And thanks again for asking.

Tom

Last edited by tomchr; 15th September 2018 at 05:54 AM.

Modulus-686: 380W (4&#937;); 220W (8&#937;) Balanced Composite Power Amp with extremely low THDHide this!Advertise here!