• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

AZ OLED setup kits for Soekris dam1021/1121 control

paypal.png

my DAC is finished:

Hi Audiozen / other Soekris bros,

I finally finished my DAC; I just have couple questions:
1. The big transformer is the main power supply for the Soekris board obviously; I think it also powers the OLED display and other minor circuitry right?
I am thinking of trying the Salas BiB v1.3 PSU; Do I simply plug in through J7 and leave the big blue transformer as is?

2. My friend finished his DAC months ago; we bought the extra capacitors for both the base board and Soekris DAC board modding. He listened WITH and WITHOUT the 12 silver caps on Soekris board and he concluded that he did not like the sound quality of the 12 silver caps. It was worse than without.
I wonder if we bought the wrong type/value or anyone has the similar experience? I still have the 12 caps in the bag and I am hesitated to go for it.

3. I believe the IR sensor needs a hole on front panel to receive the signal from a remote? I forgot to make one; if so the case, I can live without one; it is not much to control on the dac anyway.

4. I am very happy with the audiozen board and Soekris DAC.
I own a Audio-GD NOS19 DAC-BB1704 chip-it is already wonderful; but Soekris adds an extra layer of depth, air, dynamic, detail and clarity to the same music! very excited.
The only thing I found with Soekris, when compared to NOS19 Dac, is that Soekris has a weaker bass. I wonder anyone have the same feeling and what to do to improve it?
I already set the RCA output to RAW mode; filter to "linear".

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2e42cf83-b8d9-47c7-8844-02737487eeeb.jpg
    2e42cf83-b8d9-47c7-8844-02737487eeeb.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 496
Ok. For safe 2 pcs lt3045 an 1pcs of lt3094 is enough. Positive current is around 350ma negative 150ma. Rev5 even lover because of just 1 opamp. It is well known that opamp stage is bad. So if you unsolder opamps out it is even less *problematic*. Tps is not optimal for analog supply that is what we heard at testing soekris. Also FP polymer mod is not optimal. Ok noise go away on scope but midrange iss too plastic hard sounded tweets little to harsh, compare to dacs like Total dac, Analog dac, Audio note...
If positive Tps supply also part of a Audiozen board that is another story.

Can you describe what was worse, maybe we have similar problem.
Filter linear ...frimware 1.06 or 1.19?

I bought the DAM1021 at the beginning of 2018, no idea what version.

I have to ask my friend what exactly is worse with the caps than without.

Are those the correct type/value caps for DAM? Any "the best" type should I get instead?Just a beginner here.

Yesterday, it was my RPi3 model B+ using coaxial for moode v4.3 and active speakers; did not like the SQ that much and not much of filter difference I could hear.

Today, I switched back to RPi3 model B with USB connection on moode v3.84 and go to my Whammy headphone amp/Sennheiser HD600 headphone. It sounded wonderful and similar to BB1704 character. The DAC filter change is quite audible.

I guess it is just the result of "mix and match" of my different hifi components. Too many little gadgets to play with.

Hi Audiozen / other Soekris bros,

I finally finished my DAC; I just have couple questions:
1. The big transformer is the main power supply for the Soekris board obviously; I think it also powers the OLED display and other minor circuitry right?
I am thinking of trying the Salas BiB v1.3 PSU; Do I simply plug in through J7 and leave the big blue transformer as is?

2. My friend finished his DAC months ago; we bought the extra capacitors for both the base board and Soekris DAC board modding. He listened WITH and WITHOUT the 12 silver caps on Soekris board and he concluded that he did not like the sound quality of the 12 silver caps. It was worse than without.
I wonder if we bought the wrong type/value or anyone has the similar experience? I still have the 12 caps in the bag and I am hesitated to go for it.

3. I believe the IR sensor needs a hole on front panel to receive the signal from a remote? I forgot to make one; if so the case, I can live without one; it is not much to control on the dac anyway.

4. I am very happy with the audiozen board and Soekris DAC.
I own a Audio-GD NOS19 DAC-BB1704 chip-it is already wonderful; but Soekris adds an extra layer of depth, air, dynamic, detail and clarity to the same music! very excited.
The only thing I found with Soekris, when compared to NOS19 Dac, is that Soekris has a weaker bass. I wonder anyone have the same feeling and what to do to improve it?
I already set the RCA output to RAW mode; filter to "linear".

Thanks!

If you wan't more bass then do the super regulator/follower mod in addition to the more capacitance mods. You might want to change the 7x05 regulators to something with much lower Zout too if you eliminate the stock series resistor config to instead a superreg.