• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ultrasonic Record Cleaning

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looks awesome Louis. I don't know if you thought of it but a IEC connector for power would be a bonus as you can store easier with out having to wrap the cord around the unit.
IEC POWER RECEPTACLE | All Electronics Corp.

Yes I have thought about the IEC connector. The down side is that when/if the IEC connector gets wet, it corrodes. I've seen this happen when I worked at Sonix 4.
A dedicated power cord may be less convenient, but it will last longer and makes the unit less expensive.
Thanks for the feedback!
Louis
Vibrato, LLC.

VibratoLLC Louis, do your systems have sweep built in, or are both units running at the fixed KHz? I've heard sweep, moving a bit above and below the transducer's rated Khz provides some cleaning benefits in some applications. Whether it's beneficial when cleaning records, I have no idea.

We do have a frequency sweep circuit called the "Tremolo". Like others have stated, I do not believe this option would benefit the Record Cleaners.
The sweep circuit prevents "standing wave" (focused areas of cavitation) which can occur and cause damage to delicate parts (think soft stones or gold-plated items).
The sweep also helps spread the cavitation throughout the tank.

-Louis
Vibrato, LLC.

Louis, that looks very reasonable for what looks to be such a nice, full featured device. That enclosure looks considerably more sturdy than the Sonix IV, which flexes a fair bit when I plug in the power cable, etc., and lacks the nice digital thermostat. Very nice indeed.

Thanks for the positive words! Very encouraging!
-Louis
Vibrato, LLC.

The Aluminum Enclosure Ultrasonic Cleaners (80khz and 60khz) have been submitted to our Tindie web store and are pending approval. They should be available to purchase soon!

Sincerely,
Louis Steele
Vibrato, LLC.

The New aluminum Vibrato Ultrasonic Cleaners are now available on our Tindie.com web store.
https://www.tindie.com/stores/VibratoLLC/

-Louis
Vibrato, LLC.

To everyone concerned:
I wanted to explain about some upcoming delays in providing the Vibrato Ultrasonic Cleaners due to an illness in the family.
My father was diagnosed with cancer and is undergoing chemo. We will also be traveling out of town for surgery later (probably November).
I will do my best to keep up production, however, there may be periodic delays in the listings on our Tindie web store.
Thank you all for your support!

Sincerely,
Louis Steele
Vibrato, LLC.

I'd like to get everyones input on this issue:

We have run out of 60khz Transducers, and our supplier has failed to return our requests to buy more (we have always paid in advance and in full !).

We are looking at alternative transducers, but the closest frequencies we can source are either 54khz at 35 watts, or 69khz at 60 watts.
(We already provide an 80khz ultrasonic cleaner).

My question is which would be preferred by this DIYAudio forum?
We have tested the 54khz 35W transducers and found they actually run at 51khz.
We have not tested the 69khz transducers, but they come from the same company as our 80khz, so I am sure they will be fine.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
-Louis Steele
Vibrato, LLC.

Louis,
For what it's worth, from a business point of view, I'd pick either 69k or 80k and go with one SKU. The distinction between the two frequencies is minimal --- why bear the costs of stocking a completely different set of parts for little or no functional difference?
Cheers,
B B

Thanks! That was my thoughts, also; 69khz is only 11khz less than 80khz and not much difference.
Since there are a glut of inexpensive Chinese-made 40khz on the market, I can not compete with their prices. 51khz is similarly 11khz higher than these 40ks.
-Louis

The first production model using the 69khz transducers is currently testing! a short video is on our YouTube channel.
Here are some photos of the unit in the construction phase.
69khz Transducers.JPG

69khz Testing.JPG

69khz Cavitation.JPG

We hope to have this unit listed within a day or two (along with an 80khz ultrasonic) , when testing is completed!
Sincerely,
Louis Steele
Vibrato, LLC.

Can anyone explain, from a mildly technical standpoint, why one US machine would function better than another (e.g. two 40kHz or two 60kHz machines)? What I mean is a comparison between two machines operating at the same frequency. The basics of a US machine seem pretty straightforward, and I'd think the only issues would be the bonding of the transducer to the tank and possibly the transducer's ability to propagate the frequency.

Is the generator and amplifier potentially part of the problem (if they don't generate a sufficient wave at the right frequency, I suppose that could affect things)? How about the tank material and thickness?

I'm sure there's a lot I don't know, so I'd love to hear some explanation. I too would hate the noisy machines, but I suppose if they are only in operation for a relatively short while, maybe I could live with it.

Finally, anyone wear ear protection when cleaning? If so, what?

I certainly don't have all the answers, but I can offer a few. I've been building ultrasonic cleaners since 2005 (for Sonix 4), then launched my own brand in 2014. I designed an ultrasonic generator that could be easily tuned to the resonant frequency of different transducers (28khz,40khz,69kz,80khz,135khz, etc).
A majority of the generators I've seen from other companies use a "current feedback" circuit that is not as accurate in it's tuning abilities, especially the chinese-built ultrasonics. I have personally troubleshot and found that the tolerances of their electrical components are substandard. Example: a 3 watt 24 ohm resistor actually tested to be 17 ohms. That alone can throw off the frequency, effecting the cavitation power, as well as potential overheating/failure problems! (I have also found EMI/RFI filter components missing in the power supply!)
Tank size and thickness does affect cavitation. Thinner tanks provide better cavitation, but the trade-off is that it is more prone to cavitation erosion (it will eventually disintegrate). Tank life, depending on use runs about 3-5 years, then pin holes will occur and replacement will be necessary. (keeping the tank clean from debris will help extend its' life!). The tanks I use are thin (24guage stainless steel), however, I also bolt the transducers to an aluminum ground-plate, rather than directly to the tank, so I do not know what the tank life will be at this point.
Sincerely,
Louis Steele
Vibrato, LLC.

Just wanted to give a shout out to Louis and Vibrato. I ordered last week and it arrived yesterday. I cleaned about 40 records today and I couldn't be happier. There were a few records that simply couldn't be listened to that are now very playable and the records that were good are now great. So thanks to Lewis and everyone on this thread for posting their thoughts and experiences.

Hogues:
Glad to hear the ultrasonic is working good for you! Thanks for the shout-out!
-Louis

Lurking for a while here, I now have one compatibility question before I pull the trigger on the Vibrato unit advertised here on occasion. A while back, I bought the VinylStack and it's still sitting in the box....is this fully compatible (ie. will it fit) with Vibrato unit? Also, which unit of Vibrato is recommended, the 69KHz or 80KHz? Thanks, Lorne
Yes, the Sonic Spin does work with our Ultrasonic Cleaners! We have several customers using the Sonic Spin with our units with no problems.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.