• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

SilentSwitcher - mains-free +/-15V and 6/5/3.3V power

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That looks weird! Can you measure that there is input voltage on the left side of the inductor? Should be around 16V. If there is, try to temporarily bridge the inductor with a piece or wire, to see that you have output voltage. If so, it's just the inductor.

But I fear that there has been some sort of overload before the linear post-regulator. Maybe a probe or wire inadvertently falling on the board.

Jan

It gets even more weird:
- I measure around 8.6 to 9 V on both sides of the inductor
- the bottom side of the board gets hot, around where the cracker inductor is
- while fiddling around I re-measured the output and I some point I did get -15 on the negative one

Could there be something broken inside L3 that causes intermittent short circuits? Or should I look somewhere else?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It gets even more weird:
- I measure around 8.6 to 9 V on both sides of the inductor
- the bottom side of the board gets hot, around where the cracker inductor is
- while fiddling around I re-measured the output and I some point I did get -15 on the negative one

Could there be something broken inside L3 that causes intermittent short circuits? Or should I look somewhere else?

What you measured around the inductor probably had a lot of ripple, so the value may not be correct.
What I can suggest is if you can short out the inductor. Then output voltages should be OK (but with a bit more HF ripple) and will confirm that L3 is the culprit.

Jan

Attachments

• L3.PNG
    L3.PNG
    13.2 KB · Views: 422
I shorted it by holding a wire to the edges of the pads just protruding on the left side. What is see happening is that the voltage across ground and V- slowly decreases to 0 while I hold the short. As soon as I release, the voltage jumps up again. Currently I have +15 on V+ and -2 on V-. So the -2 slowly creeps to 0 when I short.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jan, how did you end up configuring the SilentSwitcher to run your vicnic oscillator?

I'm planning ahead.

The vicnic specs recommend a PSU delivering +35 VDC / 20 mA. Your SS page, doesn't appear to cover off that detail.

Planning ahead separates the men from the boys ;-)

I think I only shorted R23 and R25 to disable the shunts and connected the +15 and -15 points and ground directly to the SS.

Jan

Planning ahead separates the men from the boys ;-)

I think I only shorted R23 and R25 to disable the shunts and connected the +15 and -15 points and ground directly to the SS.

Jan

Ahhh ... I didn't quite get what was going on with the schematic in that regard. I could see the +/-15 V on the schematic but was struggling to see clearly how it translates to the board layout in terms of available pins.

I'll cross check with vicnic before I pull any triggers. Thanks for the tip.

See lower right part. The +/- 15 are across the protection diode.

Jan

Cool. Nice to see the balanced XLR hook up as well.

From the latest schematic at Post #7428:
772809d1565017095-low-distortion-audio-range-oscillator-gen1khzn6-png

It looks like you removed R32 and R33 and bridged the connections to the 35V +/-.

I guess that the SilentSwitcher's zero line is connected to the PCB via the white cable. Looks like the -ve lead hole for C14.

Given that R32 and R33 are jumpered, did you simply connect the SilentSwitcher's +/- power to the respective connections on the +/- header pin on the other side of the board?

Mount_JPG.webp

I don't think I really need to worry about a balanced output for my needs, so I'd stick with the stock single ended approach and keep it simple.

Thanks .. ;)

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
They shut down when the input voltage is below 2.7V or so. The current draw from the battery will increase when the battery voltage drops which means the battery is dropping even faster. So the output voltage will remain as set, until it drops out completely.
There's internal output current limiting in the regulator chips.

Jan