• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

SilentSwitcher - mains-free +/-15V and 6/5/3.3V power

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Sorting and bagging 1200 SMD resistors by sets. Not really fun, but someone has to do it...

Jan

Attachments

• sorting & bagging 3.PNG
    sorting & bagging 3.PNG
    729.1 KB · Views: 431
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Scott,

I did build and check the 24V version, but it needed adjustment of some of the inductor values unless the current draw was very low.
This meant I would have to maintain two different BOMs and two different implementations and I didn't want to spend half my time on logistics ;-)

So I decided in the end to stay with +/-15 and below as almost all requests I got were for that, which can be handled with just some R changes.

The new version will be delivered set at +/-15V but with resistors to set it to +/-12, +/-8 and +/-5.

What is your app current requirement?

Jan

Possibly I am confused and do not know where to look for.... Is there another batch of these clever power supplies planned for sale or am I definitely too late?
And if there will be some more, where will they be sold? Still this webshop here? I am in Europe btw.
Thanks..
You're just on time! And they are the cleverest ever:p Check the other thread, those are the ones now being offered in this thread. As I understand it, you just contact jan.

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes just let me know, I just brought them to my shipper in Germany, packed and all.

These are basically the same as the ones I had before, specs are here:

The SilentSwitcher | Linear Audio NL

Scroll down for pictures and performance measurements.

The difference with the new batch is that they now come, like the previous ones, set to +/-15V 'analog' out, but they can be changed to +/-12, +/-8 or +/-5V. Or a combination. There's a small bag with resistors and a User Guide how to add them to change the output voltage.

So easy, even a lawyer can do it (sorry lawyers, this is a joke!).

Jan

Attachments

• SSvar customizing guide.pdf
    284.9 KB · Views: 109
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have revised the User Guide for the variable version on two points:

- added the max load current per output voltage table;

- changed the customizing resistor table to identify resistors for pos. and neg. output values so that combinations like +8V and -12V can be implemented.

Jan

Attachments

• customizing user guide r2.pdf
    261 KB · Views: 120
I maybe interested in one or more of these if any are available.

I would like to ask a question if i may.

I am a firm believer in giving circuits their own psu. For instance the dac chip in my cdp has 3 power supply pins and i have given each of them a dedicated transformer, rectifier, cap and regulator.

When using a silent switcher would there be any benefit from giving each pin its own psu like i do now (but with linear psu's) ?

Are any resevoir caps needed or further regulation required after the SS ?

Many thanks

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
What voltages do you need? There are a pair of extremely low noise and low output impedance linear-regulated outputs on a SilentSwitcher,. They come as +/-15 but the package includes resistors to set it to +/-12, +/-8 or +/-5. (Or a combination).

Definitely NO further caps or regulators after it, that would only make things worse. The SilentSwitcher packs its own high-performance linear post regulator. You could use one SS per channel, that way you can keep them very close to the DAC circuitry. See also The SilentSwitcher | Linear Audio NL
Short leads to the load is important.

Then there's another output which can be set to 6.5 or 5 or 3.3 to supply whatever needs those voltages and is less critical.

With the SilentSwitcher you can supply the various pins of the DAC with a SilentSwitcher, assuming the voltages are the same of course. Then you can run the SilentSwitcher from a power bank for total mains free operation.

Attachments

• SilentSwitcher Zout.pdf
    25.4 KB · Views: 102
  • SilentSwitcherNoise.pdf
    20.1 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Hi Jan,

Thanks for your response.

The dac chip in my Naim CD3.5 (TDA1305) has 3 power supply pins (1 digital, 2 anologue) all at 5V, total current draw about 50mA. I currently have 3 independent psu's on it (one for each pin) and dont want to go backward on performance. Would there be any benefit giving each pin its own silent switcher ?

Also the cdp has 6 opamps in the output stage. I have two ALWSR super regs powering these at +24V. Could the split rail +/-12V supply from the silent switcher be used for this at 0-24V ?

So SS needs to be near the load. Any shielding required ?

Many thanks.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It's not that the SS 'wants' to be near the load - but it's no use to build a super-duper regulator and then spoil its performance with 5 inches of wire with its resistance and inductance. Its just good practice to keep it all as compact as possible.
Screening is not really required, although I make it a habit to mount my boards close to the chassis metal, just as a precaution. It's there so why not use it.

And the other thing of course is the option to run totally isolated from the mains. It is very hard to get rid of all that junk on the mains that comes in through your transformer, even if the hum is low when you do a good job of grounding.

And with a single SS you can supply both 'analog 5V' pins on the DAC. I assume that's 2 pins per channel, right?

Jan