Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

SilentSwitcher - mains-free +/-15V and 6/5/3.3V power
SilentSwitcher - mains-free +/-15V and 6/5/3.3V power
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th July 2019, 06:50 AM   #161
maartn is offline maartn  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default SilentSwitcher - mains-free +/-15V and 6/5/3.3V power

Hi Jan, I am afraid that I may have hurt my SilentSwitcher. Not exactly sure what is causing it, but this is what I see:
- the -V output gives 0 V: almost no voltage difference with ground
- L3 is cracked - see attached pic, don’t know what happened there!

Do you have any suggestions on how to go about troubleshooting or fixing?

Thanks in advance,

Maarten

IMG_3162.jpg
Old 13th July 2019, 07:19 AM   #162
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

That looks weird! Can you measure that there is input voltage on the left side of the inductor? Should be around 16V. If there is, try to temporarily bridge the inductor with a piece or wire, to see that you have output voltage. If so, it's just the inductor.

But I fear that there has been some sort of overload before the linear post-regulator. Maybe a probe or wire inadvertently falling on the board.

Jan
Old 13th July 2019, 06:06 PM   #163
diyAudio Member

It gets even more weird:
- I measure around 8.6 to 9 V on both sides of the inductor
- the bottom side of the board gets hot, around where the cracker inductor is
- while fiddling around I re-measured the output and I some point I did get -15 on the negative one

Could there be something broken inside L3 that causes intermittent short circuits? Or should I look somewhere else?
Old 15th July 2019, 06:33 AM   #164
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maartn View Post
It gets even more weird:
- I measure around 8.6 to 9 V on both sides of the inductor
- the bottom side of the board gets hot, around where the cracker inductor is
- while fiddling around I re-measured the output and I some point I did get -15 on the negative one

Could there be something broken inside L3 that causes intermittent short circuits? Or should I look somewhere else?
What you measured around the inductor probably had a lot of ripple, so the value may not be correct.
What I can suggest is if you can short out the inductor. Then output voltages should be OK (but with a bit more HF ripple) and will confirm that L3 is the culprit.

Jan
Attached Images
File Type: png L3.PNG (13.2 KB, 112 views)
Old 15th July 2019, 07:16 PM   #165
diyAudio Member

I shorted it by holding a wire to the edges of the pads just protruding on the left side. What is see happening is that the voltage across ground and V- slowly decreases to 0 while I hold the short. As soon as I release, the voltage jumps up again. Currently I have +15 on V+ and -2 on V-. So the -2 slowly creeps to 0 when I short.
Old 15th July 2019, 07:37 PM   #166
diyAudio Member

What do you see on test point V2 against ground?

Jan
Attached Images
File Type: png vp2.PNG (24.5 KB, 90 views)
Old 15th July 2019, 08:00 PM   #167
diyAudio Member

Is that the purple circle above VP2 with the “1” inside? There I measure -2V.
Old 15th July 2019, 08:20 PM   #168
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maartn View Post
Is that the purple circle above VP2 with the “1” inside? There I measure -2V.
Yes, that means that there is a defect in the switching chip, or the freewheel diode.
Not much you can do, it's pretty much impossible to repair it.

I'll send you a PM tomorrow.

Jan
Old 15th July 2019, 08:22 PM   #169
wealas is offline wealas
diyAudio Member

I have one SS with the exact same problem, I think it happened when I used a high powered 12V supply that might be noisy. If you think you can use it to troubleshoot and improve on the design I would be happy to donate it
Old 15th July 2019, 08:29 PM   #170
diyAudio Member

12V is right at the absolute limit. In normal operation I wouldn't go above 9 or 10V, so you have some safety factor.

Jan

SilentSwitcher - mains-free +/-15V and 6/5/3.3V powerHide this!Advertise here!