Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

SilentSwitcher - mains-free +/-15V and 6/5/3.3V power
SilentSwitcher - mains-free +/-15V and 6/5/3.3V power
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2018, 04:02 PM   #151
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfe View Post
Yes 12V, 12mA.

Jan
Attached Images
File Type: png relay.PNG (47.7 KB, 147 views)
Old 5th October 2018, 12:42 PM   #152
zfe is offline zfe
diyAudio Member

Jan, for an existing circuit with its own power supply, is it safe to leave the existing power supply unpowered and feed the SS output to the rail behind the existing linear regulator? Or is it advisable to remove the existing supply from the rail?
Old 6th October 2018, 08:15 AM   #153
diyAudio Member

You want to avoid hanging any undefined stuff off a SilentSwitcher output. As a minimum you should remove the connection from the existing supply from the output point, even if you leave it unpowered.

Jan
Old 11th October 2018, 07:10 AM   #154
Avondalenaim is offline Avondalenaim
diyAudio Member

Just a quick post to say I am still working out my requirements Jan for the SS. It is not that straight forward for me with my peculiar cd player.

If I required 9V output, what would the max load be ?

And is it possible to use the whole of the +/- output for a positive voltage only ? By that I mean using say the 9V negative as 0V and the 9V positive for a +18V supply ?

I take it the gnd on your board is like a centre tap ?

Apologies if I have this all wrong
Old 11th October 2018, 01:21 PM   #155
diyAudio Member

I haven't tested a +/-9V version but would expect a current capability of around 200mA per side continuously.

You are right about the center tap thing, which means that the 'tap' has a common with the input power. So you *could* use the +/-9 as an 18V source but you'd need to float the input source from ground (automatically done with a USB charger or power bank not connected to anything else).
But that also would mean you couldn't use the 6.5/5/3.3 because that also shares the common.

How about setting one output to +18V and use that? Is that an option? You probably could pull 100mA cont. from that easily.

Jan
Old 11th October 2018, 04:25 PM   #156
Avondalenaim is offline Avondalenaim
diyAudio Member

Thanks Jan,

Well I have just bypassed the output stage in my CD3.5 with very pleasing results. Just a 1st order filter on the dac output, 10uf coupling cap and 100k to ground. If I stick with this then there is much less to power in this cdp

I don't need 18V if this simple passive output stage works out long term. The problem I have is that all the chips are positive voltage only and most are at 5V. There are two however that are 9V for servo power drivers, display and one of the 9V regs also is a pre regulator for another 5V reg in the Naim swing out tray (if you are familiar with them).

Reg needs to be close to the laser which I could not achieve because SS will have to be a long way away. If I leave the LM317 in the swing out tray then in order for it to regulate I need a bit of headroom which the 5V output of a SS will not give.

I am working on a solution though
Old 11th October 2018, 04:27 PM   #157
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalenaim View Post
Thanks Jan,

Well I have just bypassed the output stage in my CD3.5 with very pleasing results. Just a 1st order filter on the dac output, 10uf coupling cap and 100k to ground. If I stick with this then there is much less to power in this cdp

I don't need 18V if this simple passive output stage works out long term. The problem I have is that all the chips are positive voltage only and most are at 5V. There are two however that are 9V for servo power drivers, display and one of the 9V regs also is a pre regulator for another 5V reg in the Naim swing out tray (if you are familiar with them).

Reg needs to be close to the laser which I could not achieve because SS will have to be a long way away. If I leave the LM317 in the swing out tray then in order for it to regulate I need a bit of headroom which the 5V output of a SS will not give.

I am working on a solution though
It might be usefull to see if the 9V prereg for the 5 V can be lowered to 6.5V. Depending on the reg type, if it is low dropout, then it can be powered by the 6.5V from a SS which is there for this exact purpose.

Jan

SilentSwitcher - mains-free +/-15V and 6/5/3.3V powerHide this!Advertise here!