• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs

@Mark4

about the film caps your are suggesting, instead of using them at the +-15V supply, what do you think about adding those caps after the regulators of the MC board, where there is already the 1000uF black electrolytic cap?

They would be closer and directly connected to the Opamp board. Would it increase the sound quality further?

fabio1068,
The only other thing I tried with Katana was to try the film caps with the DC-DC converters that Katana was designed to work with. I ran wires from DC-DC converter output pins on J28 and J29 out to the film caps, then ran wires from there back to the other pins on J28 and J29 that feed the +-15 to the LDOs on the bottom side of the MCU board (and from there down to the output stage board). That did help make the DC-DC converters sound better, but still not as good as the combination of linear power supplies and film caps for +-15v.

That leaves open any questions about what might happen if one tried to supply power to the output stage board without using any of the circuitry on the MCU board. However, my listening impression was that Katana with film caps and linear supplies sounded very good. Don't see a way to make it sound any better without a redesign into a more expensive dac, and I think cdsgames understands the market for things like that a lot better than I do.

Seems people would prefer to discount what I suggested about adding the right film caps to the +-15v rails to help sound quality. That's okay, but in case anyone might still be interested, I replied to someone else about why I recommend doing that in another thread: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/314935-es9038q2m-board-380.html#post5690994

I wouldn't discount anything without hearing the results. I can't find 33uF Wimas anywhere over here, but I finally found some 22uF at a reasonable price from Budgetronics.eu, so I've ordered 10.

The exact values and or tolerances are not critical. I originally used the mix of 10+10+22+33+33 to test because that was what I happened to have in stock. It would be fine to use a mix consisting of more small value caps, so long as the total capacitance in parallel is enough. The only concern would be if using a mix without enough smaller value caps in it to keep the impedance low at higher frequencies (since larger value caps become less effective as frequency goes up).

@Mark4

about the film caps your are suggesting, instead of using them at the +-15V supply, what do you think about adding those caps after the regulators of the MC board, where there is already the 1000uF black electrolytic cap?

They would be closer and directly connected to the Opamp board. Would it increase the sound quality further?

I now have my +-15V supply connected after the regulators: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/329911-getting-allo-coms-katana-dac-28.html#post5694302

The iFi is nothing impressive. I bought one for the “dirty” side of ALLO DigiOne Signature, but found it worse than the stock SMPS.

I found that the iFi was better than the stock Allo psu when the outer barrel of the connector was grounded(to same ac outlet). Nirvana should be available within a few days I hope, then it can be compared to ifi and other smps supplies. I use the grounded ifi with a Digione player and the difference is clear between it and the stock Allo unit.

Somehow I missed the development on KALI FIFO reclocker.

There was some note about Kali 2 and a member comparison to IAN FIFO reclocker. Currently I am using Kali 1 with great results in my PCM1704 DAC. Is there any link to the description of the hardware revision 1.2? Kali 2.0 plans? Any comparison to IANs product?

@cdsgames ?

Hello im thinking about i2s reclocer. For now i have roon core on intel nuc pc, and roon bridge with moode audio on my rpi 3b+ ,and from rpi usb to xmos usb interface next by i2s to dam 1021 dac. What to do to get better sound from rpi? what connection will be better? Rpi i2s- i2s kali reclocer-i2s input in dac? but i have heard that rpi i2s max is 192khz. In my actual connection im upsampling in roon core with i7 procesor to 352/384 and for my this ups sound better . Or mayby use like now rpi usb to xmos usb interface, next kali i2s reclocer to i2s dac input?very thanks

I have a few quick questions, and I apologize upfront for being lazy and not bothering to read the full +300 pages of this monster thread.

1) Can I remove the clocks on the Kali 44/48MHz and replace with Crystek CCHD-957, specifically the 45.1584MHz and 49.152MHz versions as the footprints seem to fit on the PCB?
2) I'm powering my RPI through the GPIO header pins with a low-noise 5V supply, will the Kali allow being powered that way too?
3) Anyone used older DAC ICs with the Kali? I'm thinking of putting some of the PMD100+AD1862 and PMD100+TDA1541A I have in the parts drawer to good use?

Thanks and have a great weekend!

I have a few quick questions, and I apologize upfront for being lazy and not bothering to read the full +300 pages of this monster thread.

1) Can I remove the clocks on the Kali 44/48MHz and replace with Crystek CCHD-957, specifically the 45.1584MHz and 49.152MHz versions as the footprints seem to fit on the PCB?
2) I'm powering my RPI through the GPIO header pins with a low-noise 5V supply, will the Kali allow being powered that way too?
3) Anyone used older DAC ICs with the Kali? I'm thinking of putting some of the PMD100+AD1862 and PMD100+TDA1541A I have in the parts drawer to good use?

Thanks and have a great weekend!

I'm using a Kali to feed Matt Garman's TDA1387 DAC hat, with good results, and I have also used it with the NOSPi AD1865 hat. The Kali has a barrel connector for power. The board will share power up AND down in your stack if you want it to. Power down to SBC goes through a removable jumper. Power upwards goes through the 0R resistor labeled FEED, which can be desoldered if you wish. Separate power for all boards makes my stack sound best. I've never heard of anybody trying different clocks on Kali, but IanCanada offers boards for user-selected clocks.

Last edited: