• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs

If you need both then use Hifiberry digi+ pro. It has both: coax and i2s out.
Hifiberry is what I would call "good enough" design though e.g.: it takes dirty 3.3V power from Pi to power some parts. So to improve it you would need to use some isolation board (power it separately with some good regulator) to provide 3.3V clean power and isolate it from rpi noise.

Thanks for the reply but if I could be satisfied with Hifiberry digi+ pro I wouldn't be posting here ;)
I guess I'll wait for Kali 2 to see what it brings :cheers:

Hello,

Let me pop in the conversation. I'm in no way technically competent to join current debate but I'm interested in building RPI digital transport with I2S and Coax out. My question is would it be possible to stack up Kali with hdmi I2S out something like this: RaspDIGI LTE LVDS - Streamer I2S LVDS HDMI Audio-GD compatible - Audiophonics
and add the DigiOut also for coax, hopefully not messing the signal to much?

We are looking into a LVDS output already. It will be compatible with Kali

If you have a Kali its not possible to have a master i2s on top.

Thanks! However, the distance between the two pads is only 0.2mm. I could not see it using a magnifying glass, I tried to disconnect the solder between the pads on time and time again. Needle out of the solder paste is easy to cover the pads above. This can only use a special steel mesh for brushing the paste to fill in the right amount of solder paste on the pads, but the steel mesh is not cheap.

A few weeks ago I had my birthday. My wife didn’t know what to give me and she allowed me to buy myself a present. I decided to buy the Allo Isolator, just to try.

I received it last week. The package came from France. It took a week to arrive in the Netherlands.

I put the Isolator on my Raspberry Pi 2 and on top of it I put the Piano 2.1. I fed the Raspberry Pi with a 5V Powerbank. I fed the Isolator/Piano 2.1 with two LifePo4 batteries (These ones: Lithium Ion Cells | Cylindrical Cells | 26650 Lithium Cells ). Together they deliver 6.6 V.

I used the dual mono setting of the Piano 2.1 which I like very much. This dual mono setting is currently only available in Volumio. I hope it also will be available in the next release of Picoreplayer.

I listened to one of my favourite (test)albums: Steven Bernstein – Diaspora Soul (Tzadik Records). I have listened the cd many times. It is jazz, klezmer, Yiddish, beautiful melodies, beautifully recorded (in one take btw).

The difference with/without the Isolator is not ground shaking but noticeable. With the Isolator I liked the sound more. I think I heard this: more rest, better left/right separation, more dynamics, more in control, the percussions sound more real. In combination with my Volt+ amplifier and B&W DM5 speakers, the sound is really, really good.

I tried to add a Kali Reclocker and put it between the Isolator and the Piano 2.1. Unfortunately it didn’t work. The Kali needs an independent PSU. So – while the Isolator can feed the Boss Dac and the Piano Dac - the Isolator cannot feed the Kali. So when you use the Kali/Piano 2.1 combination, you need one more PSU.

There are two Raspberry Pi Isolators on the market now, and I am glad I bought one!

Hmmh.

The Kali doesn't even work !?!? That's not nice. The Kali alone's good for a nice difference.

How you'd know if the experienced changes are not caused by the batteries !?!?
I mean... ....you're touching several variables at a time !??!
It's gonna be hard to tell what benefit the isolator + batteries are bringing to the table.

Once more. I do think a "Kali 2" at 5V!! with I2S isolator would be my preferred option.

Anyhow. Enjoy your birthday gift.

You're right, there are too many variables. I do not see my writing as a review, I see it as a listening experience. It is indeed possible that the difference I mentioned is caused by the batteries, although I used to listen to the RPI/Piano 2.1 both fed with a good linear supply.

Yes, a Kali 2 with an Isolator will be wonderful!

I tried to add a Kali Reclocker and put it between the Isolator and the Piano 2.1. Unfortunately it didn’t work. The Kali needs an independent PSU. So – while the Isolator can feed the Boss Dac and the Piano Dac - the Isolator cannot feed the Kali. So when you use the Kali/Piano 2.1 combination, you need one more PSU.

There are two Raspberry Pi Isolators on the market now, and I am glad I bought one!

Have you tried powering the Kali to see if it will feed power to the Isolator, with the 'feed sbc' jumper closed?
I have the iancanada isolator and it works like that, whereas power fed to the isolator does not pass through to the Kali and DAC.

A few weeks ago I had my birthday. My wife didn’t know what to give me and she allowed me to buy myself a present. I decided to buy the Allo Isolator, just to try.

I received it last week. The package came from France. It took a week to arrive in the Netherlands.

I put the Isolator on my Raspberry Pi 2 and on top of it I put the Piano 2.1. I fed the Raspberry Pi with a 5V Powerbank. I fed the Isolator/Piano 2.1 with two LifePo4 batteries (These ones: Lithium Ion Cells | Cylindrical Cells | 26650 Lithium Cells ). Together they deliver 6.6 V.

I used the dual mono setting of the Piano 2.1 which I like very much. This dual mono setting is currently only available in Volumio. I hope it also will be available in the next release of Picoreplayer.

I listened to one of my favourite (test)albums: Steven Bernstein – Diaspora Soul (Tzadik Records). I have listened the cd many times. It is jazz, klezmer, Yiddish, beautiful melodies, beautifully recorded (in one take btw).

The difference with/without the Isolator is not ground shaking but noticeable. With the Isolator I liked the sound more. I think I heard this: more rest, better left/right separation, more dynamics, more in control, the percussions sound more real. In combination with my Volt+ amplifier and B&W DM5 speakers, the sound is really, really good.

Jonners wrote: Have you tried powering the Kali to see if it will feed power to the Isolator, with the 'feed sbc' jumper closed? I have the iancanada isolator and it works like that, whereas power fed to the isolator does not pass through to the Kali and DAC.

I did it, and yes, it works! So you can use the Isolator and the Kali together. Feed the Kali. Close the feed sbc jumper. The Kali will feed the Isolator.

Last edited:
Jonners wrote: Have you tried powering the Kali to see if it will feed power to the Isolator, with the 'feed sbc' jumper closed? I have the iancanada isolator and it works like that, whereas power fed to the isolator does not pass through to the Kali and DAC.

I did it, and yes, it works! So you can use the Isolator and the Kali together. Feed the Kali. Close the feed sbc jumper. The Kali will feed the Isolator.

I hope you're supplying 5V to Kali, not 6.4V from the batteries? :eek:
Since it works, I guess you must now be bypassing the regulator in the isolator which steps down from 6V+ to 5V.