Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th October 2016, 01:55 AM   #471
Greg Stewart is offline Greg Stewart  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMmm View Post
I agree regards layout of most SOC boards on the market, not set up for audiophiles for sure. But the RPi has the sockets of most interest on one side at least - the ethernet and USB ports.

Quick pic of my player with RPi3, Kali and a DAC I am sure you will recognise Jean-Paul.

SPDIF portion of the SUBBU hacked off and I2S header attached to the Kali. Kali and DAC powered by the SUBBU supply, RPi has its own chunky supply.

Not a lot of space left but result is a neat little box (in my opinion!).
Super neat Chris! I've modified a Mamboberry DAC which fits right on top of the R-Pi for a similar setup, but have much larger power supplies, so it wouldn't case nearly as nicely.

For many, that setup of yours should be pretty darned good!

Greg in Mississippi
Old 28th October 2016, 02:28 AM   #472
diyAudio Member

I should add the Mamboberry R-Pi DAC HAT also uses the ES9023 chip. If someone wanted to duplicate Chris' setup with a slightly more compact DAC, use the newer Mamboberry LS which has slightly better regulators and also has separate regulators on the DAC chip and clock chip.

Greg in Mississippi
Old 28th October 2016, 08:01 AM   #473
jean-paul is offline jean-paul  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Stewart View Post
.... and also has separate regulators on the DAC chip and clock chip.

Greg in Mississippi
Subbu DAC has this also.
Old 28th October 2016, 02:14 PM   #474
diyAudio Member

Jean-Paul,

Yup, could see that in Chris' great picture. Thanks for the clarification. I am sorry, I should have said that the LS with the better and dual regulators was a better choice than the original Mamboberry. I was NOT trying to imply it was a better choice than the Subbu (which I have no experience with).

From looking at Chris' picture, I also think the Subbu MIGHT have a better clock AND looks to have a more extensive (not sure if it is better) power network.

Again, thanks!!!

Greg in Mississippi
Old 28th October 2016, 08:32 PM   #475
Dave S is offline Dave S  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Just read this entire thread but it's still not clear if and how custom filters are handled in the Piano 2.2 (why did they call it 2.1?).

I have been using an analogue active crossover for many years and would like to try this in the digital domain. However I need some slighlty unusual slopes:
Low pass: 2nd order at 80Hz cascaded with 2nd order at 120Hz
High pass: 2nd order at 120Hz

Can this be done with the Piano?
Old 28th October 2016, 10:18 PM   #476
Jjazz is offline Jjazz  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi, I have the Dac Piano and Kali reclocker. I connected Kali and dac piano Rapsberry Pi 2.by I selected volumio version 2 I2s and dac piano, but the music played by the dac, but the hdmi output (even when not selected hdmi as audio output. any idea what could happen? I am afraid that the problem is with the dac piano, I do not work without Kali connected or not connected to Sparky pcb.

And this

Configuration: sparky pcb / kali / Piano / Ubuntu Piano 2.0 from microsd.

UBuntu starts well but no device is recognized audio and music does not sound.

lights on in Kali 48k green, red empty. On piano power and SD green.

sparky piano directly without Kali does not appear in sound output devices Ubuntu
Any idea what's wrong?

thanks for the help.
Old 29th October 2016, 09:23 AM   #477
badboygolf16v is offline badboygolf16v
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
Can this be done with the Piano?
Not at the moment. The drivers are not ready. There are some issues to be resolved with redistribution of the TI miniDSP firmware.

I'm interested to know if the end user will be able to create their own filters in TI's Pure Path Studio, or whether there will be a limited set distributed with the drivers.

Perhaps Ioan can comment?
Old 29th October 2016, 11:36 AM   #478
Dave S is offline Dave S  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboygolf16v View Post
Not at the moment. The drivers are not ready. There are some issues to be resolved with redistribution of the TI miniDSP firmware.
That's what I thought.

Quote:
I'm interested to know if the end user will be able to create their own filters in TI's Pure Path Studio, or whether there will be a limited set distributed with the drivers.

The Allo website seems to say this is possible:
"We are using 2 DAC Ic's PCM5142 with integrated DSP. The PurePath software from TI is available for download (registration required) and can be used to create specific filters and other audio functions."

It's a bit naughty leaving this on the website IMHO. Had I not seen these threads, I would have ordered and been dissapointed!
(Hope this is not deemed as negative, the KALO looks like a greaat product!)
Old 29th October 2016, 04:37 PM   #479
KvennaDiy is offline KvennaDiy  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michl2604 View Post
Have received kali today. Was directly working with setup odroid -> kali > dddac. Is it worth it? YES !!!! I have not had much time for serious listening but first impression is great. Have modded my dddac with many tweaks but this is one of best mods. Better stage, more natural sound, black background. Will give more feedback after serious listening.
Looking forward to more information on this. I too have an DDDAC and is currently using runeaudio running on an Odroid C2 connected to the DDDAC by i2s.
I'm thinking about introducing a reclocker and or isolator between the Odroid and the DDDAC. Manly been looking at Kali and Ians solution. And have to say that the Kali looks promising as a bang for buck solution (and I like bang for buck solutions ), but as it's aimed at the rpi I have to rewire/mod it to work with the Odroid.

How did you wire up the Kali to to Odriod?
Any fancy PSU to power the Odroid/Kali?
Have you done any measurements on the output (by scope or other tools) or is it by ear? Tried to removing it again to verify the SQ changes?

What mods have you done to the DDDAC? I'm running blue mainborad with one dac board and Audio Note tantalum I/V resistors and find it quite good.
Old 29th October 2016, 06:03 PM   #480
cdsgames is offline cdsgames  Canada
diyAudio Member

Users can create specific flows with Purepath software, we will show how to integrate it.

AT this point TI license says that we can distribute the flows, but to be compatible with GPL license it should be "distribute and re-distribute " ..

So again waiting for TI legal team

Quote:

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCsHide this!Advertise here!