• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

AckoDAC based on ES9038PRO

Sorry but i spot thet package of dac chip is differs from ESS docs...
ESS photo of the ES9038pro showing 4 x 16 pins
since this one on Acko board is 4 x 12 pins
?

Attachments

• 4 x 16 pins.jpg
    4 x 16 pins.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,060
  • 4 x 12 pins.jpg
    4 x 12 pins.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 1,050
I like to know the output voltage exactly before preordering the board. My I/V stage has not unlimited amplification capability.
Is the users manual available to download?

This is an current output dac chip, exactly like the ESS9018. So either you put it directly into an i/v converter with adjustable output level - or you use resistors to passively choose output level before your gain stage.
I haven't read what current it outputs - but with the 9018 it is 8mA/phase in stereo mode. So it will suit anything following after, but it perfers low input impedance to perform it's best (which is many, many times lower THD than your average tube stages).

The chips have finally arrived. These are production versions so I guess known bugs have been fixed
Somewhat different from the sample version that I was using for tests so changes to board layout and controller firmware required. I must admit there is a fair amount of complexity compared with the 9018 but mostly sorted with the final board design and will release for fab sometime next week.
For those who have ordered, updated support information has been emailed already. In case you have not received it please let me know.

I am working hard to get this project materialized. There are lot of things to consider to build up a DAC system and the chip is just one of the components.

Thank you for your patience!

I didn't wrote the one is better the other worse. It's obvious in datasheet.
As we know, 9018 is not perfect and has some drawbacks. Newer one won't be an exception I guess, but we shall see.
Could you specify in details, which things to consider to build up a DAC system? We can discuss it here and choose better solution.

Hi,

There are numerous requests for empty boards from diyers who would like to build up on their own, have a bit of fun and also learn how to build a DAC system - but I must warn you that there is a fair amount of complexity soldering tiny parts. There are risks involved and you may end up with thrash. Given that chip alone is $75 this can be painful!

Anyway for those who still prefer this challenge (or as souvenir :D) , empty boards can be supplied at $30 US each. No components mounted or supplied. Minimum order 300 pcs, so Group Buy arrangement. If interested please put your name down on the list below. Schema, BOM and support information provided with this

1. Acko - AKD32 DAC bare board x1

Last edited: