• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Audio SMPS units for sale

Attachments

• Honeyview_Full amp.jpg
    Honeyview_Full amp.jpg
    646.7 KB · Views: 549
Last edited:
DC input?

Looking at the 1200W SMPS to power two maybe three modules, but I have no access to mains AC power, living off grid and in mobile scenarios.

My understanding is that many (maybe all?) SMPS designed for mains AC input can work just fine when fed DC power within the appropriate voltage range.

For example, apparently JRDG / Jeff Rowland's PFC (Power Factor Correction) PC1 DC power supply feeds the ASP1000's SMPS with 385Vdc?

"385VDC comes from the fact that for an input voltage of 240V r.m.s (uk) for +/- 10% therefore can reach 265Vac which in terms Max. Voltage Vp = 375V, and voltage rating of the output caps should be of about 385V"

I have the ability to build lithium battery packs at any voltage for off-grid power storage and electric propulsion.

DCDC buck conversion from the main voltage down to multiple lower auxiliary voltages is also not a problem.

I have not yet decided between Purifi, nCore or ICEpower modules, money is tight and my ears are old, suggestions welcome there, need ~200W into 8ohm, currently looking at LS50s + maybe a sub, to often be used outdoors for a small crowd.

Wow that's great!

120 LFP cells in series, hmm. . .

Is there a lower DC setpoint corresponding to US-style 110Vac?

______ below is OT and optional 8-D

For a 2x Purifi stereo, equivalent of one SMPS1200A400 to power both sides?

Or do y'all think (anyone), would 2x the equivalent of smps600nc400 deliver audibly better SQ? Both would be powered by the same lithium power pack.

For those familiar with the **much** cheaper ICEpower modules, which line would be least of a SQ compromise driving LS50s?

I was looking at 2x ICEpower500A. . .

Would an input buffer be required for one as opposed to the other? those seem to cost more than the power modules. I have clean DAC/HPamps I could use as pre-amps, and my V30 those are my main portable sources.

The SMPS will also work if you feed it with any voltage from 95VAC up to 265VAC.

One SMPS1K-PFC will power two Purifi modules nicely.

No need to waste your money on expensive buffers if you are not fully convinced with SQ improvements.

The buffer comes with the Purifi is more than sufficent as starting point.

The SMPS also will work with any voltage range from 130VDC up to 385VDC, so select your voltage and the PFC will do the job.

Thanks, very helpful

The SMPS will also work if you feed it with any voltage from 95VAC up to 265VAC.
---
The SMPS also will work with any voltage range from 130VDC up to 385VDC, so select your voltage and the PFC will do the job.

Are these two statements about two different SMPSs? Not sure what "the PFC" refers to. . .

Does the pos/neg DC just get fed to the hot/neutral prongs on the AC input? Does it matter which?

Also, will feeding a DC voltage at the lower end of those ranges significantly affect the amp modules' SPL output?

The two statements are for the same SMPS.

It doesn't matter the polarity, connect it into any direction.

the SMPS will NOT work with any voltage under 95VAC.

However, I suggest you feed it with 150VDC it will be the best option for you.

Also, the SMPS will not face any issues in the performance regardless of the input voltage range, because the power factor corrector will regulate the SMPS output.

Also, it will not affect the sound of your amplifier.

Hope that helps

I'm thinking I might buy/build a case + wiring/connectors etc,to accommodate Purifi modules later on (saving my pennies),

but get an ICEpower setup (so much cheaper) to start with.

Would it be possible for the same SMPS to service either, or would I need a new one when the time comes to swap?

And can you reco a cheap but OK input buffer for the ICEpower? I want it to handle pretty much any sources, do not plan on using an active preamp.

Although I would have a little headphone amp like Periodic Nickel or iFi iDSD, if that would work to adjust gain / match impedance?

(Sorry if that's just a silly noob idea)

I'm thinking I might buy/build a case + wiring/connectors etc,to accommodate Purifi modules later on (saving my pennies),

but get an ICEpower setup (so much cheaper) to start with.

Would it be possible for the same SMPS to service either, or would I need a new one when the time comes to swap?

And can you reco a cheap but OK input buffer for the ICEpower? I want it to handle pretty much any sources, do not plan on using an active preamp.

Although I would have a little headphone amp like Periodic Nickel or iFi iDSD, if that would work to adjust gain / match impedance?

(Sorry if that's just a silly noob idea)

I dont know witch ICE power module you plan to use, also the Purifi build will cost you more $$ than
the ICEPower.

You have to look around for cheap buffers, I dont have something specific for ICEPower.

The SMPS1K-PFC will be a perfect fit for Purifi

Thanks

I dont know witch ICE power module you plan to use, also the Purifi build will cost you more $$ than the ICEPower.
Yes I want 200W into 8ohm, so thinking the ICEpower 500A modules, they are not much over $100 each these days,

where the Purifi 1ET400A are a **lot** more.

I believe the 500A requires 72 min up to 80Vdc and +/-15VDC, not sure if nominal 12V as well.

No standby needed, will fully power down when not in use.

Purifi max V input apparently is right at 70Vdc ?

Last edited:
Yes I want 200W into 8ohm, so thinking the ICEpower 500A modules, they are not much over $100 each these days,

where the Purifi 1ET400A are a **lot** more.

I believe the 500A requires 72 min up to 80Vdc and +/-15VDC, not sure if nominal 12V as well.

No standby needed, will fully power down when not in use.

Purifi max V input apparently is right at 70Vdc ?

This SMPS will not work with the ICEPower, diffrent version will work with ICEPower

What other options for power supplies you have?