• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

THAT Driver :: A minimalistic differential driver / preamp with 0.000021 % THD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
On my THAT driver boards that I have, I am supplying +/- 15V. One will be in a phono preamp, one in a DAC, and the other one I haven’t determined what to use it for. I am using the regulator in one of my THAT driver boards since I am using it in an amp with the correct power input.

The issue with the power regulators is where are you going to be using the boards. Works Ok in an amp, but not as well in a preamp or DAC where most voltages are 15V or below. So if I have to rectify the AC to feed into the regulator on the THAT board, it is just as easy to add a regulator that can rectify the voltage and provide the bipolar voltage required.

Hello Tom
That universal buffer looks really nice!
Universal Buffer – Neurochrome

A few questions if I may:
- Apart from 0dB, what are the different gain options? Does performance suffer with gain?
- Is the CMR in effect when going from differential to differential? (probably a stupid question)
- Is it DC coupled?
- Does it emit any kind of pop/noise when powered on/off?
- Beside max output level, what do I loose when going down to +/- 12V input?

That universal buffer looks really nice!
Universal Buffer – Neurochrome

Thank you.

- Apart from 0dB, what are the different gain options? Does performance suffer with gain?

You can set the gain by adding two resistors to the board. The possibilities are endless. The THD+N will degrade slightly as the gain is increased.

- Is the CMR in effect when going from differential to differential? (probably a stupid question)

Common-mode rejection applies to the differential input.

- Is it DC coupled?

Yes.

- Does it emit any kind of pop/noise when powered on/off?

I'd expect a click or pop as the output stage stabilizes as you would with any other opamp stage.

- Beside max output level, what do I loose when going down to +/- 12V input?

Nothing.

Tom

Are the possible gain resistors factory set, or later (diy) changes possible?

For example, a +6dB single ended output for a First Watt F6 amplifier input and using a high quality regulated power supply off the power amp's power supply rails and avoiding any potential ground loop problems? (F6 amp rails normally around +/- 23V dc and p/s 0V Central Ground Point 'raised' from Chassis Earth by 10R thermistor, etc)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.