• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

AK4490 USB Dac with dsd support.

Man show us the built... I got a 71vdc. ct supply waiting.. Always tailing u pinnocchio

For now it will be on a test bench with just heatsink and PSUs floating around. I need to get the chassis ready but it won't stop me from listening to it on my main system, just not as pretty as it should be... Since these modules already include speaker protection, it makes things clean, no extra wires to run and will speed up my listening tests.

All the best!
Do

Anthony,

The 4490 is not restricted to DoP protocols.. In fact it works beautifully, in Linux, with native DSD up to DSD256. (my exclusively most preferred way of using it)
The second (third..?) version, V1.2a has a lot of newer technology, LT local regulators, AK4493 as converter, - - but not AK4497...

I still value very high the old, V1.0 dac - with substantial modifications.

The discrete output schield has reached it's 3d generation, (the only one available in the shop now)
and the Sito discrete opamps are at 2nd generation (or the old V1.0 with modifications)

Ciao tutti, Geoge

DAC V1.2a

In the picture my new DAC Mirand V1.2a with USBridge Sig, PSU Shanti, PSU Salas for I / V and USB input. For me it is the most musical DAC right now. well. Thanks a lot to Sonny for this DAC jewelry! He is in the highest league!

Attachments

• -757135356_20191030_083054_3781181_resized_1.jpg
    -757135356_20191030_083054_3781181_resized_1.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 243
  • 931179005_20191030_083111_2973094_resized_1.jpg
    931179005_20191030_083111_2973094_resized_1.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 242
Very nice setup, congratulations!

And on a more general note: feeding the Mirand dac from a "renderer" or streamer device, like You are doing here with the USBridge Sig, is really pushing the sound quality an another step forward.

I'm wondering how many of you out there is doing it?

Ciao, George

Thanks a lot guys, makes more sense now.

@Joseph K which modifications do you think makes the biggest difference?

I would be in a difficulty to name just one out of the cue..
The situation is that Sonny had provided us with very good basic choices in the dacV1.0.

But never forget that V1.0 version had been always the 'economic' branch of the bigger brothers (like the Phison Audio dac)

This means some compromises had to be done,
My mods are aiming to get around these.
One can not get around the missing galvanic separation, but a careful re-arrangement of the power supply system on board can take us quite far (according to my measurements).
Instead of the galvanic separation on-board, the way of starting from galvanically separated independent different supply branches, (many separate secondaries..) for the different DAC sections (like XMOS, clocks, DAC ref etc.) - and unifying these grounds only at the final destination, on the dac board - - helped to clear up the different onboard crosstalks.
A better clock scheme (both the clocks and the supplies) are paying back, too.
The new clocks are NDK SDA modules.
The firmware for the dac chip configuration had to be modified for the DSD-direct operation.
The bypass schemes and grounding had been touched also on the output schield.
It's personal taste, but I changed resistors in the output stage too..
trying to use film (PPS) caps as much as possible - also Sonny already applied them in many places already.

So I am always trying to push for a complete list..

Ciao, George

Very nice setup, congratulations!

And on a more general note: feeding the Mirand dac from a "renderer" or streamer device, like You are doing here with the USBridge Sig, is really pushing the sound quality an another step forward.

I'm wondering how many of you out there is doing it?

Ciao, George

I too think a decent streamer/source makes a significant impact on the Dac. I use the old USBridge (powered by shanti - made a big difference), but tempted by the new signature variant

In the picture my new DAC Mirand V1.2a with USBridge Sig, PSU Shanti, PSU Salas for I / V and USB input. For me it is the most musical DAC right now. well. Thanks a lot to Sonny for this DAC jewelry! He is in the highest league!

Congratulations! An awesome build that I imagine sounds very good. Excellent source and PSU's.

Quick Q, why did you not keep the top lid on the Shanti for RFI/EMI? Also, that cabinet looks very nice, decent thick walls etc. It looks like a DCS chassis, where did you source it from? Last Question! Did you try the DAC on the standard SMPS prior to using Salas' PSU?

Everything looks awesome. The case is very pretty! I like the way you use inside screws.. from outside you don't see them, correct?

Congratulations! An awesome build that I imagine sounds very good. Excellent source and PSU's.

Quick Q, why did you not keep the top lid on the Shanti for RFI/EMI? Also, that cabinet looks very nice, decent thick walls etc. It looks like a DCS chassis, where did you source it from? Last Question! Did you try the DAC on the standard SMPS prior to using Salas' PSU?

I removed the cover for technical reasons, initially I used an Odroid C2 for the NNA, which did not fit the hole due to Shanti height :) The case made a friend, who makes them to order. I have never tried the SMPS source.