• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project

0dB maximum level recommendation

Hi all.

It's nearly two and a half years since I originally set-up my Ultimate Preamp as a 3-way system.

Tomorrow I'm trialling it with a 4-way system, replacing a fancy preamp and Accuphase digital crossover and I need to re-program my Ultimate Preamp.

I'm fine with the software and uploading etc.

However the Accuphase is currently set to 40Hz, 125Hz, 14kHz with levels -1.5dB, 0dB, -9dB and +10.5dB.

The 125Hz to 14kHz unit is a high efficiency full-range driver and yes, the super-tweeter is very inefficient.

I seem to recall advice to set the Ultimate Preamp to a maximum of 0dB (for which I would program -12dB, -10.5dB, -19.5dB and 0dB) but can't find the reference anywhere.

Can anyone point me to the original 0dB recommendation and does the " -12dB, -10.5dB, -19.5dB and 0dB" program sound OK?

Thanks!

Hi all.

It's nearly two and a half years since I originally set-up my Ultimate Preamp as a 3-way system.

Tomorrow I'm trialling it with a 4-way system, replacing a fancy preamp and Accuphase digital crossover and I need to re-program my Ultimate Preamp.

I'm fine with the software and uploading etc.

However the Accuphase is currently set to 40Hz, 125Hz, 14kHz with levels -1.5dB, 0dB, -9dB and +10.5dB.

The 125Hz to 14kHz unit is a high efficiency full-range driver and yes, the super-tweeter is very inefficient.

I seem to recall advice to set the Ultimate Preamp to a maximum of 0dB (for which I would program -12dB, -10.5dB, -19.5dB and 0dB) but can't find the reference anywhere.

Can anyone point me to the original 0dB recommendation and does the " -12dB, -10.5dB, -19.5dB and 0dB" program sound OK?

Thanks!

I modded the basic four way design on our website and include a scaler in the bass channel so you can customize the levels to what you want. If you want the awd file let me know as I can't seem to attach it to this post ;)

regards
david

Attachments

• Xover-4way.png
    Xover-4way.png
    142.9 KB · Views: 522
thank you :D stalking your page like a crazy person :D might this work wireless an in a b&o penta possible?

what program are you thinking of using in programming? or what prog will work? unbalanced input possible onboard?

It uses Audioweaver from DSP Concepts. No programming required ;)

Unbalanced inputs are available.

cheers
david

By the way, how is the possibility of the production run looking? I'm not quite there with finances yet..

It's on track so far ;) For those who cannot afford the full amount a 20% deposit would suffice so we can allocate a Preamp for you. However to be fair to those who have already paid up the full amount, they will be placed first in the queue to receive their Preamp ;)

cheers
david

I want to know if the built-in DAC can be configured to be non-oversampling and switch off the high pass filter for a nice non-ringing impulse response?

That does remind me: are the output DACs independent of the processing sample rate? In other words, can I process at 48 kHz and run my own oversampling filter to 192 kHz?

Why do such a fool thing? Just for kicks & grins I'd like to try a minimum-phase reconstruction filter. It'll cost a few clocks but nothing like the 100 Hz FIRs elsewhere in my system. :D

I want to know if the built-in DAC can be configured to be non-oversampling and switch off the high pass filter for a nice non-ringing impulse response?

We weren't planning on doing anything like that as the ES9038PRO already provides 7 different OS filters. In any event even if we could override the internal OS filter and generate our own with the DSP it would chew up quite a bit of the DSP resources from the normal usage for crossover use.

cheers
david

That does remind me: are the output DACs independent of the processing sample rate? In other words, can I process at 48 kHz and run my own oversampling filter to 192 kHz?

Why do such a fool thing? Just for kicks & grins I'd like to try a minimum-phase reconstruction filter. It'll cost a few clocks but nothing like the 100 Hz FIRs elsewhere in my system. :D

Yes you can do something like that in Audioweaver. You can down convert to a lower sampling frequency to do FIR's and the up convert back ;)

cheers
david

Dude !! i've been away for a few years ...
come back.
Now you selling a super cool product with no options ?
wasn't it supposed to be also a diy friendly version with a few seperate boards ?

I go on the website ... bang 4500$?? ok
i'm sure it is worth it and all .. but no lower cost options ?
no seperate digital crossover boards ?

It all boils down to the benefits of economies of scale which would require us to order at least 200 of each board to get the price down to a reasonable amount but this would require considerable risk and outlay on our behalf, something which we could not justify at this stage. With the current pre-order quantities, the cost of the DSP board alone is quite expensive and that is it being manufactured in china and requiring additional hand assembly of things like regulators, heatsinks, clock chips, capacitors etc. Then there is the other eight boards that need to be manufactured as well so things start to add up quickly and become very expensive ! The cost of the DSP board alone is comparable to what people would be paying for a finished solution from other vendors who probably manufacture them by the truck load and willing to sell them with much smaller margins and much lower channel count and performance to what we are offering. Instead we have gone in the other direction with a fully completed design and instead focused on performance and value adding which is why we have gone to great lengths and provided a suite of detailed measurements to verify the design metrics Performance and Measurements

cheers
david

Last edited:
Dude !! i've been away for a few years ...
come back.
Now you selling a super cool product with no options ?
wasn't it supposed to be also a diy friendly version with a few seperate boards ?

I go on the website ... bang 4500$?? ok
i'm sure it is worth it and all .. but no lower cost options ?
no seperate digital crossover boards ?

https://analog-precision.com/po/#UP2

$3450