• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project

Please elaborate more around the topic "External DSP software capability"

Do you have more information on how to implement an external PC? Hardware, software requirements etc?
I'm look at implementing FIR filters from Audiolens through an external PC. Can this be on a optimized LINUX unit with more or less only a Convolver running? Or will I need a Win10 unit with additional software?

Edit: and yes, I've read this page UPP – Analog-Precision :)

The UP+ is both hardware and software agnostic to any PC connected to it so compatibility should not be an issue.

cheers
david

Last edited:
Please elaborate more around the topic "External DSP software capability"

Do you have more information on how to implement an external PC? Hardware, software requirements etc?
I'm look at implementing FIR filters from Audiolens through an external PC. Can this be on a optimized LINUX unit with more or less only a Convolver running? Or will I need a Win10 unit with additional software?

Edit: and yes, I've read this page UPP – Analog-Precision :)

I should have also mentioned linux running on a PC which I assume can talk to audio devices across a USB interface ;) Have not tried all of these other combinations but certainly have had results on a Windows 7 PC.

The whole idea is to take a commercial or 3rd party audio processing software and run it on a PC or MAC hardware platform etc. That way you offload the DSP capability from the onboard DSP and can now run 3rd party apps in a transparent way as though it was running on the Preamp hardware.

One of the frequently asked questions is how many taps can the onboard DSP handle for the purpose of running FIR filters and/or room correction or group delay correction filters etc. With the external DSP capability this is no longer a limit ;)

cheers
david

Last edited:
It's cheap compared to Trinnov Amethyst

And it won't even do a 3 way active stereo. It only has 4 outputs.

I don't know if you can string 2 of these together to get the required number of outputs but that would make the setup over 4 times the price of the UP2.

The DEQX would also need 2 of their HDP4/5 or Premate to get a 4 way active. You are well over US10k. Outdated design using 1995 technology. No matter how you look at it the UP is not an expensive bit of gear. The others are.

And it won't even do a 3 way active stereo. It only has 4 outputs.

I don't know if you can string 2 of these together to get the required number of outputs but that would make the setup over 4 times the price of the UP2.

The DEQX would also need 2 of their HDP4/5 or Premate to get a 4 way active. You are well over US10k. Outdated design using 1995 technology. No matter how you look at it the UP is not an expensive bit of gear. The others are.

Yes, the DEQX might be a bit outdated technology and there is not much development going on but what amazes me is that after all these years it is still the only DSP crossover I know off that has such an easy way of implementing linear phase crossovers. I have been looking for a very very long time for a replacement unit and the Analog Precision UP comes close but the lack of easy implemented linear phase crossovers might be a showstopper for me. In 2019 such a thing should be very easy to implement, DEQX did it back in 2001. I know linear phase crossovers can be made with convolution filters but that is really a hassle. With the DEQX it is as easy to implement as a Linkwitz or Butterworth crossover. That's something I won't give up that easy. I know the UP can do much more but I have been using a DEQX crossover for 15 years and I have become so very used to linear phase crossovers that I don't ever want to use anything else anymore. So if anyone can point me out how to easily implement them in AudioWeaver without external convolution then I'm highly interested in the UP. I would also appreciate it if someone can tell me it can't be done easily, in that case, I think I'll skip this opportunity. FIR or LIR crossovers are a must for me in a 2019 highend device.

Yes, the DEQX might be a bit outdated technology and there is not much development going on but what amazes me is that after all these years it is still the only DSP crossover I know off that has such an easy way of implementing linear phase crossovers. I have been looking for a very very long time for a replacement unit and the Analog Precision UP comes close but the lack of easy implemented linear phase crossovers might be a showstopper for me. In 2019 such a thing should be very easy to implement, DEQX did it back in 2001. I know linear phase crossovers can be made with convolution filters but that is really a hassle. With the DEQX it is as easy to implement as a Linkwitz or Butterworth crossover. That's something I won't give up that easy. I know the UP can do much more but I have been using a DEQX crossover for 15 years and I have become so very used to linear phase crossovers that I don't ever want to use anything else anymore. So if anyone can point me out how to easily implement them in AudioWeaver without external convolution then I'm highly interested in the UP. I would also appreciate it if someone can tell me it can't be done easily, in that case, I think I'll skip this opportunity. FIR or LIR crossovers are a must for me in a 2019 highend device.

I'm curious to know what happens to the phase at the listening position after you take into account the effects of the environment and room acoustics ?? Is it still linear ?

cheers

I'm curious to know what happens to the phase at the listening position after you take into account the effects of the environment and room acoustics ?? Is it still linear ?

cheers

Well yes and no, off coarse room acoustics messes everything up again but that also counts for every little bit of DSP you'll apply to your system. I pay a lot of attention to room acoustics and even more to loudspeaker/room interaction because that is one of the most important things in the entire playback system IMHO. To realise that you have to start with a controlled directivity, linear amplitude and phase system. With the DEQX I can easily compare linear phase crossovers to linkwitz crossovers. Typically a 60db/oct or even 120db/oct linear phase crossover sounds more like a 6db/oct Butterworth but without the drawbacks of a 6db/oct crossover.

I'm using open baffle loudspeakers (yes they mess up the phase response in the room) and I can definitely hear a difference between crossover types in favour of linear phase crossovers. Take my woofers for instance, they are 2 15" drivers in a w-frame. This w-frame has a profound resonance at 230Hz. I have tried using it with Linkwitz crossovers of 12-24 and 48db/oct and a notch filter at 230Hz. Still, I cannot use them any higher then 100Hz. With 60db/oct linear phase crossover I can use them easily up to 150Hz before any negative influence of the resonance peak start to be noticeable. I'm using 60db/oct linear phase crossovers between mid and highs at 3.5kHz. With Linkwitz or butterworth filters it is easily noticeable in the in-room power response when I move the tweeter one cm. With the linear phase crossover, I can use my tweeters almost anywhere, even 50cm apart from the mids before it becomes annoying. I have tried the same with higher-order linkwitz but they don't sound nearly as good.

All in all I have my reason why I want to use linear phase crossovers. I know the drawbacks but to me, they are overshadowed by the benefits. I know a lot of people vote against them on theory but I have been using them for 15 years now and I have become quite fond of them. It puzzles me that DEQX made it so easy to implement them back in 2001 and even today no-one has been willing or able to do the same. I have tried it with a minidsp and rephase software but it is such a hassle and mistakes are so easily made that I cannot rely on it.

Like I said, I know very little about Audioweaver. It might just be possible, I don't know, that's why I ask. The reason I'm on the lookout for a replacement of my DEQX is because I want more user flexibity. Specially with open baffle loudspeakers I want to be able to eq and delay each output manually, that's it really. I'm not looking for room correction, having tried them all they do more wrong then right once you have a controlled loudspeaker/room interaction to begin with. I'm just looking for a plain simple linear phase crossover with an overall system eq and eq/delay on each output. I might fiddle around with allpass filter now and then but that's really it. After years of using DSP in various forms I have come to the conclusion that less is more.

Still the UP is interting to me. I only want to know how it can implement linear phase crossovers

Well yes and no, off coarse room acoustics messes everything up again but that also counts for every little bit of DSP you'll apply to your system. I pay a lot of attention to room acoustics and even more to loudspeaker/room interaction because that is one of the most important things in the entire playback system IMHO. To realise that you have to start with a controlled directivity, linear amplitude and phase system. With the DEQX I can easily compare linear phase crossovers to linkwitz crossovers. Typically a 60db/oct or even 120db/oct linear phase crossover sounds more like a 6db/oct Butterworth but without the drawbacks of a 6db/oct crossover.

I'm using open baffle loudspeakers (yes they mess up the phase response in the room) and I can definitely hear a difference between crossover types in favour of linear phase crossovers. Take my woofers for instance, they are 2 15" drivers in a w-frame. This w-frame has a profound resonance at 230Hz. I have tried using it with Linkwitz crossovers of 12-24 and 48db/oct and a notch filter at 230Hz. Still, I cannot use them any higher then 100Hz. With 60db/oct linear phase crossover I can use them easily up to 150Hz before any negative influence of the resonance peak start to be noticeable. I'm using 60db/oct linear phase crossovers between mid and highs at 3.5kHz. With Linkwitz or butterworth filters it is easily noticeable in the in-room power response when I move the tweeter one cm. With the linear phase crossover, I can use my tweeters almost anywhere, even 50cm apart from the mids before it becomes annoying. I have tried the same with higher-order linkwitz but they don't sound nearly as good.

All in all I have my reason why I want to use linear phase crossovers. I know the drawbacks but to me, they are overshadowed by the benefits. I know a lot of people vote against them on theory but I have been using them for 15 years now and I have become quite fond of them. It puzzles me that DEQX made it so easy to implement them back in 2001 and even today no-one has been willing or able to do the same. I have tried it with a minidsp and rephase software but it is such a hassle and mistakes are so easily made that I cannot rely on it.

Like I said, I know very little about Audioweaver. It might just be possible, I don't know, that's why I ask. The reason I'm on the lookout for a replacement of my DEQX is because I want more user flexibity. Specially with open baffle loudspeakers I want to be able to eq and delay each output manually, that's it really. I'm not looking for room correction, having tried them all they do more wrong then right once you have a controlled loudspeaker/room interaction to begin with. I'm just looking for a plain simple linear phase crossover with an overall system eq and eq/delay on each output. I might fiddle around with allpass filter now and then but that's really it. After years of using DSP in various forms I have come to the conclusion that less is more.

Still the UP is interting to me. I only want to know how it can implement linear phase crossovers

Yes and you could probably implement them using Audioweaver because of its flexibility which you don't get on a DEQX. Your argument is that you just want a simple button to push to enable them. However other people want to be able to run other software such as Dirac etc (when it becomes available for a PC which they said it would) which they will be able to do under the UP+. That's something DEQX just can't do. In fact there is a whole host of audio apps that run on a PC or MAC which can be run in tangent with the UP+ ;)

cheers

No need to tell me what the DEQX can do or not, I own one since 15 years. Please tell me how I can implement linear phase, be it FIR or LIR, crossovers without the need to take a course in creating reliable convolution filters like the Minidsp method. I allready explained why I want FIR crossovers, for one simple reason, because all theory aside it sounds better in my system. Why should I go back to non linear crossovers. Maybe I'm asking it in the wrong place here and I should be looking for it in the Audioweaver forum. I'd just like to know how the UP works, how I can make it do what I want. I also like to know how it's user interface works for instance. Is there any documentation available? Any video of it's user interface?

No need to tell me what the DEQX can do or not, I own one since 15 years. Please tell me how I can implement linear phase, be it FIR or LIR, crossovers without the need to take a course in creating reliable convolution filters like the Minidsp method. I allready explained why I want FIR crossovers, for one simple reason, because all theory aside it sounds better in my system. Why should I go back to non linear crossovers. Maybe I'm asking it in the wrong place here and I should be looking for it in the Audioweaver forum. I'd just like to know how the UP works, how I can make it do what I want. I also like to know how it's user interface works for instance. Is there any documentation available? Any video of it's user interface?

This software tool may help you do what you want to do and there is mention of supporting Audioweaver otherwise there is no harm requesting it on the DSP Concepts forum. The more people that request a feature the better ;)

FIR DESIGNER - Audio FIR filter design tool for speakers | Eclipse Audio

Our website is down at the moment but there is some documentation on how to upload Audioweaver designs to the Preamp.

cheers
david