• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project

I listen to my UP original every day. It is indeed awesome...

Attachments

• IMG_6510.jpeg
    IMG_6510.jpeg
    429.8 KB · Views: 207
So, some people actually have one of these units. But where did you get it, and at what price?
I can't seem to find any pricing on the analogprecision website nor any information on how to order one. I mailed them weeks ago with no response. So yes I was pretty serious about buying one but I'd like to know some pricing or at least an indication.

The project is now into it's second version. That is what would be released next. The first version had a small release and that is what people already had bought..

Look at the Product Comparison Guide that was released a few posts back and at the price comparison at the bottom. The previous model of the Ultimate Preamp it says cost $2365

Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project

Sounds like you've only just jumped into this thread. If you read from the beginning, you'll get a better idea of it. I guess if you're going to loose interest then you'll not likely want its features and are just looking for things to spend money on.

Last edited:
No I did not just jump to this thread, but it is allready four years old and 128 pages long. So sorry that I missed one or two messages. I'm not looking for something to spend money on. I'm seriously looking into a replacement for my DEQX preamp/crossover. I'm looking for a bit more flexibilty, the DEQX is a bit too much automated.

I'm looking for a true replacement, wich is a one box solution with remote control. I have been looking at minidsp but the only thing they offer that comes a bit close is the allready pretty old 2*10HD unit. The newer units don't do 8 channels or have only digital in/outputs. I allready have enough boxes in my system. I also looked at Najda, but they never responded to any of my emails so that option is out. I have tried Hypex dlcp but it sounds like crap compared to the DEQX.

I also looked at the pro world wich has various options but none of them come with a remote control and are not very flexibel on inputs

So yes, I'm seriously looking for a good preamp/crossover, and no I don't read all 1289 post in one thread. I have read enough of them to see it is a very nice option but it takes sooo long before any hint of a price comes along, just any hint so I can consider it, or not. I'm not poor but I don't have an unlimited budget either. I know the old unit was around 2500 but it looks like that one is not available anymore, or at least I can't find it anywhere on their website. So all I want to know for now is how much more expensive the new version is going to be. Are we talking about 3000? 3500? Just any hint on the new price please, that's all for now.

My comment on loosing interest and confidence comes from the fact that I did not get any response on my email with the same question, an indication of the price.

Last edited:
Hi Sjef

Sorry if I missed your email as I try and reply to all mails. The PC I use to retrieve and send mails has been out of action for the last 2 months because it refuses to boot up so I have had to redirected the mail server to a another email client so I may have missed some mails in the process. Also check your spam bin to see if there are any emails from me.

Pricing for the new preamp will be released with the pre-order as we are still finalizing the design with an upgrade to the unbalanced output board which eliminates ground loops when using a multitude of different amps each with their own grounding arrangements.

I will email you some info.

cheers
david

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Preamp with built in phono stage + builtin 3 /4 way active crossover. Is this possible? Does it require a second unit to link to?

Thanks

Nope; all in one if you buy the options (the phono stage was an option) but the 4-way crossover capability is always there. There is another option for balanced vs. un-balanced outputs. DSP Concepts Audio Weaver software is used to design the crossover/equalizer response that is implemented. Then you upload it to the unit and go.

The newest one of these units (upcoming) however can be connected to an external processor (digitally) for more DSP number crunching capability. That would allow for more complex crossovers such as high resolution FIR filters with arbitrary phase vs. frequency response.

Nope; all in one if you buy the options (the phono stage was an option) but the 4-way crossover capability is always there. There is another option for balanced vs. un-balanced outputs. DSP Concepts Audio Weaver software is used to design the crossover/equalizer response that is implemented. Then you upload it to the unit and go.

The newest one of these units (upcoming) however can be connected to an external processor (digitally) for more DSP number crunching capability. That would allow for more complex crossovers such as high resolution FIR filters with arbitrary phase vs. frequency response.

not sure yet. i did think for the first preamp version that phono was an optional input, and that the riia eq made by the processor was not possible while using digital crossover feature. am i wrong? what about new UP versions?
Thanks

not sure yet. i did think for the first preamp version that phono was an optional input, and that the riia eq made by the processor was not possible while using digital crossover feature. am i wrong? what about new UP versions?
Thanks

Moving magnet phono input is available as standard on all preamp modes. The DSP handles the inverse RIAA and this operates transparently to other custom DSP functionality.

cheers
david

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Moving magnet phono input is available as standard on all preamp modes. The DSP handles the inverse RIAA and this operates transparently to other custom DSP functionality.

cheers
david

That was what I though but wasn't 100 percent sure but the alternative didn't make sense either (that phono input precluded crossover operation).

My comment on loosing interest and confidence comes from the fact that I did not get any response on my email with the same question, an indication of the price.

I know it's Vendor's Bazaar over here, but it's still a DIY forum. Essentially Mr Traquility Bass is DIYing, albeit more professionally than many of us might.

Therefore I'm not too sure if bringing a customer service kind of issue/attitude one normally associates with a large company with staff into this is really appropriate, no matter how David wants to present himself now, on this forum, in advance of a full commercial product release.

David will be taking Pre Orders soon. As you can imagine, the preamp is a massive undertaking for one guy. Software, hardware, metalwork, pc boards, assembly, testing etc. David is one guy working as hard as he can. The preamp will be well worth the wait. Please be patient. It is still way ahead of anything else available on the market. DEQX can't hold a candle to it. MiniDSP isn't even on the same planet as it.

I know it's Vendor's Bazaar over here, but it's still a DIY forum. Essentially Mr Traquility Bass is DIYing, albeit more professionally than many of us might.

Therefore I'm not too sure if bringing a customer service kind of issue/attitude one normally associates with a large company with staff into this is really appropriate, no matter how David wants to present himself now, on this forum, in advance of a full commercial product release.

Which is why I will be running the pre-order like a crowd source funded campaign with certain funding goals. There are quite a few boards that have to be made and I won't be sending them all off to the board loader at once. I will start with the simpler boards first and make sure these have been loaded correctly before I go onto the next set of boards etc. Of course the DSP board will be last to be loaded and there are still a lot of through whole components such as leaded audio grade capacitors and connectors to be hand soldered by myself. So things will take longer compared to if it was done by a bigger commercial enterprise who probably does most things in house but in the end the aim is to be offering something that is good enough to stand aside the very expensive gear you see at Munich hi-end etc but without their price tags of course ;)

cheers
david

Last edited:
Will there be some way to actually listen to one of these here in Melbourne?

Since I am located in Melbourne too this should be easy to arrange or I could leave a preamp with you so you could evaluate it with your own equipment. Since the preamp doubles as a standalone stereo DAC or preamp it's easy to evaluate it with conventional passive speaker setup etc.

cheers
david