• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project

Near as I can figure it, the UP+ is essentially the UP2 with 8 channel USB, loop-through, and hybrid DSP capabilities, yes?

Meanwhile, I'll be in my bunk.

Yes for those who want a high tap count FIR at high sample rates or want to use off the shelf room correction software such as DIRAC or Accourate etc and pair it with with an on-board crossover etc. Alternatively you can do the whole lot on a PC using Audioweaver or Ultimate Equalizer etc etc. Many different combinations possible now ;)

cheers
david

Last edited:
Hello,

Mailing from Portugal, hope you are doing well... I am contemplating various options on the way forward of my system. I want to implement frequency response(mainly fill in a from some 150 Hz down, and getting rid of a low bass one note peak, plus improving a little on extension and impulse correction on my traditional setup (integrated amp with digital and analogue ins driving KEF 205 passive speakers) and later evolve into full active speakers with digital correction/crossover.
I have a largish room, and my farthest speaker needs a 7 meter cable run from where the system sits(fireplace in between, triwireable). Computer might become someday my primary source, and then Acourate plugged in my J River would be my choice, but my househod and myself are not computer afficionados, so right now, I am leaning towards an hardware solution, plus I want to use other sources such as TV.( in a simplified low latency program).

Until now, my plan was getting an OpenDRC Di feed its output to the amps DAC, and later add sonmething like an OKtO DAcpro8 or used Xilica and to go active ..I am worried that might not be optimal, since the available taps on the Minidsp because may not be enough to correct enough low bass/subwoofer and have a respectable impulse response, especially when I get into active 3 or 4 way crossovering, but the OKTo or similar would then be taking care of all the EQuing afterwards, and the minispd just doing DRC/ impulse response duties before.

.. Does your solution provide meaningfull more processing power than this approach, and are there any other advantages of your preamps?

Would it be better go run long XLR leads to amps at the speaker from your preamps, or should I have short XLR an amps nearby, and rung long speaker cables as I do now(less corruption of low level signals..?). Getting some Fusions is not much of an otion, don´t want to hack my spakers like that..

Availabilyty of harware/price and serviceability availabilty of parts?

Sorry for the long post, best regards.....

Fernando

If you need more DSP power for doing complex FIR filters for room correction etc then we suggest the Ultimate-Preamp Plus which will allow you to re-route DSP duties to an external PC or combine the on-board DSP with an external PC which will allow you to do the crossover implementation on the Preamp and the heavy duty impulse correction on an external PC. With the availability of multi-cored CPU's from AMD and Intel this makes perfect sense. Alternatively you can do the whole lot on an external PC if you want so there is plenty of flexibility with this arrangement which you won't find on any other preamp ;)

As far as amplifier connections are concerned we recommend running a balanced interconnect system if your amplifiers permit it. Avoid amplifiers which DO NOT conform to the AES-48 standard or have severely compromised balanced inputs added as an after-thought. I do not want to have to go through the nightmare again that I did dealing with the Chester and Spike duo from Tasmania and their poorly designed "hi-end ???" amplifiers. A terrible experience for anyone to have to deal with. Proof that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing :(

Our preamp connections for the balanced inputs and outputs are not unlike the implementation on this high-end preamp from Boulder Colorado and other reputable amplifier vendors which do things properly ;)

Boulder1010x.jpg

Boulder1010.jpg

Will be announcing the pre-order soon plus a product comparison guide to make it easier to select the preamp that best suits your needs.

cheers
david

Last edited:
As the balanced o/p are a function of the dac chip, is there room, or plans, to fit unbalanced buffers and phono sockets?

Otherwise, there's a developing "bal <-> unbal" universal buffer design in the works at Neurochrome Audio that are possibly availably around December

Also, are the estimated prices available yet?

As the balanced o/p are a function of the dac chip, is there room, or plans, to fit unbalanced buffers and phono sockets?

Otherwise, there's a developing "bal <-> unbal" universal buffer design in the works at Neurochrome Audio that are possibly availably around December

Also, are the estimated prices available yet?

No need. There are 8 unbalanced outputs, each driven by their own buffers independent of the balanced outputs which also have their own buffers so you can mix and match balanced and unbalanced outputs. ;)

Will announce pricing with the pre-order.

cheers
david

Hi David;

Would it be possible to add a comparison to the original (vs. the "PLUS" vs. the "2")?

Or is the original much like the 2 except that the "2" has better I/V conversion and output current capability?

Cheers
Matt

The new UP's have a link port for channel expansion and the UP+ has the dsp expansion capability.

I have added the original UP-1 to the comparison table.

Product Comparison Guide – Analog-Precision

We are developing and testing the Final Link board on an existing UP-1 ;)

regards
david

Attachments

• P1040807.jpg
    P1040807.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 328
  • P1040804.jpg
    P1040804.jpg
    588.3 KB · Views: 331
  • P1040802.jpg
    P1040802.jpg
    621 KB · Views: 322
Uow! I was thinking about 2 possibilities of equipments that I not see on the marketing.

Preamp with built in phono stage + built in 3 way active analog crossover.

Multi channel integrated amp with built in phono stage + built in 3 way active analog crossover.

Is this possible?

Thanks!