• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project

Hi! Sorry if the answer was previously, but is it possible to use 4 i2s lines instead of using analogue lines? Is there pins before ES90x8 of i2s lines somewhere on the DSP board? For my project it is more suitable to output 4 lines of i2s (in psaudio HDMI standard) and to use standalone DACs. Is it possible or not within your UP? Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi! Sorry if the answer was previously, but is it possible to use 4 i2s lines instead of using analogue lines? Is there pins before ES90x8 of i2s lines somewhere on the DSP board? For my project it is more suitable to output 4 lines of i2s (in psaudio HDMI standard) and to use standalone DACs. Is it possible or not within your UP? Thank you!

There is a PS-Audio I2S type HDMI input which is also isolated but it is only limited to stereo operation ;)

Yes, I know about it. I have 4 different DACs. Is it possible to make 4 I2S-HDMI (ps-audio format) outputs? Or even better way (more flexible) - if there will be both ways: ES9038' outputs and possibility to use 4 I2S in parallel/instead. Is it real to implement in UP or not how do you think? :)

If you wanted to use 8 channels on one HDMI connector then you would have to time division multiplex the four stereo channels onto one of the differential pairs ;)

cheers
david

Well, again - no way to get 8 channel output of I2S (4xi2s) after your DSP, right?

Not easily and not without losing some functionality that comes with the on-board DAC. This project is more concerned with improvements that come with proper crossover design and/or room correction than it is with fiddling around the edges with different DAC architectures or vendors. Had we made the mistake of changing DAC vendors as has been previously requested of us then you wouldn't be seeing this upgraded version today and the DSP capability would have been hamstrung just because someone thought that DAC vendor A's chip had more 'fairy dust' and a wider 'sound stage' than the DAC vendor we are using ;)

cheers
david

Last edited:
Please do not think wrong, I am very well aware of the meaning of your complete solution in terms of relevance or rationality. The question is not this, but that in some cases it is more profitable to transport the digital stream instead of the analog one. So, if you do not mind, could you briefly say what specific functionality will be lost if to use I2S before the ES90х8? So far, I see the lost of one function only - volume control. What else?..

p.s. Thank you David, I believe your answers will help others to understand your product a little clear/better.

Please do not think wrong, I am very well aware of the meaning of your complete solution in terms of relevance or rationality. The question is not this, but that in some cases it is more profitable to transport the digital stream instead of the analog one. So, if you do not mind, could you briefly say what specific functionality will be lost if to use I2S before the ES90х8? So far, I see the lost of one function only - volume control. What else?..

p.s. Thank you David, I believe your answers will help others to understand your product a little clear/better.

Yes volume and some others to be announced ;)

cheers
david

@David:

Do you have a rough idea when this bad boy's coming out? If it's next week I'll hold off on getting parts, otherwise I'll put together a mid-high passive xover in the interim. Either way my rack has a space marked DSP so the time frame isn't all that critical; the delivery date mainly affects whether or not I buy a pile of coils & caps for testing purposes. Thanks!

@David:

Do you have a rough idea when this bad boy's coming out? If it's next week I'll hold off on getting parts, otherwise I'll put together a mid-high passive xover in the interim. Either way my rack has a space marked DSP so the time frame isn't all that critical; the delivery date mainly affects whether or not I buy a pile of coils & caps for testing purposes. Thanks!

Getting closer to the mark but even if I could offer a pre-order today it will take a while to get the number of orders needed and then the delivery will be quite a few weeks after that so you may have to make do for the time being.

Currently working on the updated Digital Audio Interface (DAI) board. Here are some 3D models of the final version FYI.

cheers

UPP_Front1.png

UPP_Back1.png