• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project

I've always wanted to try DSP processing but know almost nothing about programming filters. I know the answer will most likely be "no" but will it be easy to create really good sounding setup for a newbie?

Thanks
Do

It would take you about 10 minutes with the built in crossover block in Audioweaver or you could just download a template from my website which has it already done for you. You just need to change the slopes, frequencies and levels to match your own specs. If you need extra delays you can add those too ;)

Analog-Precision

Hello all, David has kindly said that I can draw your attention to my new product on this thread. I run KJF audio based in the the UK mainly selling speaker parts and kits to speaker building enthusiasts. I wanted to bring a flexible amp to the market using the Hypex NC***MP modules that was as cost effective as possible but also used all of the functionality these modules provide.

The amp started life as a DIY project for my own use in speaker development. As a professional speaker builder I needed something I could use flexibly with multiple channels allowing me to A/B different speakers or set up active XO etc and this amp to helps me do that.

From time to time customers ask me to include a plate amp in my speakers instead of just binding posts. I've long been a user of Hypex modules for my own projects, starting back with the UCD modules and latterly the NC500 modules, so their plate amps were the obvious choice, the latest Fusion models have been awesome!! Anyway, supplying those modules meant being an OEM and having access to Hypex' OEM only catalogue. The latest NC***MP modules looked too tempting to not do something for myself with so I set out designing a PCB to do house keeping and to house the connectors, here are the renders of Mk1

5a6ef1ee36ea7_capsnresfront.png.890f1525627aca712f1a6a5aa06cc3a6.png

5a6ef1efb6bc2_MPCUfront.png.385baba473a5e47a7a797b184084f50c.png

5a6ef1f173477_MPCUtop.png.7907d13dfee07343d869597cdafc44d1.png

The modules themselves give feedback about the state of the power, temperature, clipping and DC detection as well as providing for mute and shutdown. I wanted the board to be able to take full advantage of that feed back and I wanted to be able to provide myself with a simple user interface and the ability to populate up to 8 channels with any of the boards in the range. I also wanted to be able to use balanced or single ended without any switches in the signal path. Eventually I decided that all of this could be accomplished using an AtMega 16u microprocessor and some custom software. I designed the board and my lovely brother in law wrote me some software. We managed to provide some extra functionality with a few spare pins too, so the end result had 12V triggers (properly isolated), start-up sequencing and intelligent cooling (isolated again) with some big *** near silent PC fans, Of course during normal operation I didn't want the fans to come on but 6 x 500 W modules can pull a LOT of power from the grid and even at such high efficiency I wanted to make sure any extra heat could be dissipated!!

As part of my speaker building business people are always asking what amps to use so I started thinking I should just make these available. Most of the n-core amps out there are either very expensive or lacking in functionality so I wanted to make something available that the DIYer would build themselves if they could buy the OEM modules (which you obviously can't) at the sort of prices that it would cost if you were able to build one for yourself. As I already have a direct sales website and customer base through Mark Audio drivers and flat pack speaker kits that part should be easy enough in the future. I decided to start a Kick-starter campaign to gauge initial interest, If I can get 10 sold by the end of the campaign, I know its a goer moving forward, if not then I'll forget about it. It'll allow me to buy a few bits in bulk and get the certifications, shipping boxes and inserts etc sorted out.

Its a bit cheeky but if any of you need a flexible (multi-channel N-core box at DIY sorts of prices for your Ultimate Preamp Plus projects then head over to the Kick-starter page to have a look at the video and specs etc.

MA-01 the affordable muliti-channel Hypex N-core Amplifier by Stefan Whatcott —Kickstarter

Stefan

Hey Pos, long time no speak, are you still hanging out over on the miniDSP forum? I've not been there for a long time. Mainly using my PC for XO duties these days while I save for a much more powerful solution like David has got here.

Thanks for your kind words, hopefully I can get the Kickstarter campaign across the line

Last edited:
Option of "Custom set up service" for $50 extra

I've always wanted to try DSP processing but know almost nothing about programming filters. I know the answer will most likely be "no" but will it be easy to create really good sounding setup for a newbie?

Thanks
Do

David,
May I suggest you offer your customers an optional "Custom set up service" for approx $50?
You can add a "check list" onto your order page where the customer fills in details of his / her system, loudspeakers, room size, SPL and content (music only or part of home cinema / games) etc and you can install some custom settings based on the customers needs / system.

Also some default settings ie 24dB / 96dB slopes at common two and three way crossover points.
Maybe some basic Eq patterns ie bass enhanced or top end enhanced....
This would give some peace of mind to your customers and allow them instant comparisons ( flick between presets while music is playing) to give them a reference point for crossover / Eq sonic changes / benefits.

Cheers
Alex.

Stefan, is your control board compatible with Hypex nc400 / SMPS600, do you know?
Controlling fans etc for that setup would be interesting to some, maybe.

I'll take a look, most likely doable although pin out is different. I'll report back but we should do this in my thread so as to not clog up David's with OT stuff.

Ncore modules in my new amp

David,
May I suggest you offer your customers an optional "Custom set up service" for approx $50?
You can add a "check list" onto your order page where the customer fills in details of his / her system, loudspeakers, room size, SPL and content (music only or part of home cinema / games) etc and you can install some custom settings based on the customers needs / system.

Also some default settings ie 24dB / 96dB slopes at common two and three way crossover points.
Maybe some basic Eq patterns ie bass enhanced or top end enhanced....
This would give some peace of mind to your customers and allow them instant comparisons ( flick between presets while music is playing) to give them a reference point for crossover / Eq sonic changes / benefits.

Cheers
Alex.

We sort of offer this for free on our own forum. Forums

Also the dsp concepts forum is good for asking questions Forums | DSP Concepts

As more people use Audioweaver there will be more help on tap in much the same way as people who build stuff using the Arduino platform ;)

Also we will keep expanding our library of Audioweaver examples and templates.

Regards
David

I would be interested in the pricing as well please

At lot of people have PM'd me about pricing so I'll address what I can here until further notice.

Will have more to say about pricing when we publish the final specs. Suffice to say the original Preamp was sold for $2365 USD fully optioned up and the UP2 will be more expensive than this and the UP+ will be even more expensive again. There will be a return to base upgrade path from the UP2 to the UP+

Before you cast aspersions on this there are a lot of details and specs we have not published and probably won't be until we are ready to setup the pre-order. Stay tuned folks !

Regards
David

Last edited:
Audi Weaver is really a software for an engineer creating a DSP unit (or another product). IMO it's not a software for most end users.

This *entire* product is not for most end users. Audio Weaver should not present any problems for the type of user that understands how to integrate this unit into their system. After all, this isn't just an AV receiver with Audessey EQ...

This *entire* product is not for most end users. Audio Weaver should not present any problems for the type of user that understands how to integrate this unit into their system. After all, this isn't just an AV receiver with Audessey EQ...

Once you dial in a suitable crossover then it behaves like a normal preamp and that would probably be how it is delivered to a customer or end user along with the multi-channel amps and active speakers ;)

Out of the box it can still be used as a standard two channel preamp or DAC ;)

cheers
david

Audi Weaver is really a software for an engineer creating a DSP unit (or another product). IMO it's not a software for most end users.
My 2 cents worth. This is a DIY forum where people build their own speakers, like me. Building a pair of 4 way active loud speakers requires some skill, a reasonable knowledge of sound and electronics. If you were building 4 way passive speakers and you are going to build your own passive crossover, you will require a hell of a lot more knowledge than you need to use this preamp in the same system. And this preamp is way better than any passive crossover anyone here can design. Way better. If you don't have the skills to use something then buy products your skills suit, don't slag off something that is beyond your scope of comprehension just because you can't use it or don't understand it. My 2 cents worth. Audioweaver is not that hard to use.

Last edited:
My 2 cents worth. This is a DIY forum where people build their own speakers, like me. Building a pair of 4 way active loud speakers requires some skill, a reasonable knowledge of sound and electronics.

Along with a few woodworking tools :p

If you were building 4 way passive speakers and you are going to build your own passive crossover, you will require a hell of a lot more knowledge than you need to use this preamp in the same system. And this preamp is way better than any passive crossover anyone here can design. Way better.

I wouldn't dismiss passive crossovers out of hand. Most anything one can do with reasonable IIR filters can be done with a passive, same as with analog active xovers, even notch filters and 100 Hz crossover points (although the components start getting pricy...). Some insane 40 dB notch filter could be a tough dollar, but if you need that then a reconsideration of the design might be in order. :D

If you don't have the skills to use something then buy products your skills suit, don't slag off something that is beyond your scope of comprehension just because you can't use it or don't understand it. My 2 cents worth. Audioweaver is not that hard to use.

The learning curve on a new piece of software can be daunting, especially if one is also new to its field of action (the struggle with Excel as my first spreadsheet left no prisoners, we had to nuke the hard drive from orbit to be sure), so Omholt taking a deep breath might be understandable. AudioWeaver was not the most obvious thing to me either, even though for twenty years my resume has read Will DSP For Cash.

A couple of videos from DSP Concepts could help with the learning curve:
Audio Weaver Basic System Design
Audio Weaver for Loudspeaker Processing

And remember, always test the big drivers first. A woofer can deal with high frequencies, but even a fast goalie can't catch tweeter domes if you accidentally do it the other way!

Last edited: