• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project

Would HDMI be used just as a Video pass through (like NAD MDC module) so the sync of video and audio is better or you need it for something else?
BTW I really like the way M22 from NAD looks like. Hopefully the looks of this DSP could go that direction.

HDMI transmits uncompressed audio, unlike SPDIF, so it's very attractive as a means to get audio from a great blu-ray player (think Oppo) or media PC/Mac into this unit. It's essentially a way to get I2S audio signals between units. I would also love to get HDMI input, but it's not inexpensive to pay the licensing fee.

IMO ESS has a couple neat tricks for convenience, but not really for ultimate performance. The time domain jitter thingy? I don't think jitter can be eliminated. So probably two clocks are better than one.

It's more like jitter reduction than elimination. I don't see how two clocks reduces jitter anymore than having one low jitter clock. The DSP only runs at the one sampling rate and the digital filters are calculated accordingly so there is no need to have more than one clock.

cheers

So you're basically converting everything to one sample rate? Or it expects everything to be input at 192 kHz?

I will say, every good ESS based DAC I've seen runs the DAC synchronously with a clock for each sample rate family. And I don't believe any use the time domain jitter elimination. I think Buffalo DAC uses a single 100MHZ clock but it probably doesn't have the best performance because logically, I think it adds some jitter.

So you're basically converting everything to one sample rate? Or it expects everything to be input at 192 kHz?

I will say, every good ESS based DAC I've seen runs the DAC synchronously with a clock for each sample rate family. And I don't believe any use the time domain jitter elimination. I think Buffalo DAC uses a single 100MHZ clock but it probably doesn't have the best performance because logically, I think it adds some jitter.

Things are different when you have a DSP in the system compared to a DAC only system.

Everything on the board is clocked from a 49.152MHz low jitter master clock. DSP and the DAC always runs at 192K so the DPLL free wheels along because everything is synchronous to the master clock. All asynchronous sources are sample rate converted to 192K because the DSP needs to run at a constant sample rate. AtoD converter does not need to be sample rate converted because it runs synchronously at 192K.

I believe that is how Benchmark run their systems as well.

cheers

I think at one point the information was available on his site. Seems to be moved to a private area of the forum. Maybe too many rip-offs of his intellectual property.

I would email him about the DSP challenge. I thought I read somewhere that he welcomes the challenge because he's not as well versed in DSP as he is with analog design. He's getting up there too. In his 80's. Brilliant nevertheless.

I'd like to see a killer solution DSP crossover for the LX521.4 that blows away the mini DSP solution which runs at a low sample rate.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I wish you do a version that is without DAC chips but instead say opto out and that could take in a sync source (one per output (also opto)) to make the far end (the DAC) the clock master. 2in8(10?)out.

I mean once you are finished with this one :)

//

I wish you do a version that is without DAC chips but instead say opto out and that could take in a sync source (one per output (also opto)) to make the far end (the DAC) the clock master. 2in8(10?)out.

I mean once you are finished with this one :)

//

Yes that is certainly possible but just getting this one done has been trials and tribulations. :headbash:

cheers

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Siegfried is quite open to people developing DSP solutions for his speakers. Especially considering he was the analog master!

Try
ORION/PLUTO/LX... Users Group • Index page

Davey would be a good guy there to correspond with

I've had a few requests for this on my facebook page but when I asked them for the specs of the crossover no one seems to know and I couldn't find it on the linkwitz website or maybe I am not looking in the right place.

cheers