• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project

Tranquility Bass,

I hope you'll wait for the new ADC chip. Take your time and get it right. Everyone can wait. It'll be better in the end.

I don't care for Indiegogo. They never resolve problems. Have used Kickstarter without problems though. I like the idea of a group buy and save the fees.

2nd on group buy. Save the fees.

I doubt kickstarter will broaden your exposure to achieve more sales. After all the best suited target (diy community + many manufacturers) does visit diyaudio.com on a regular basis. In my opinion this is where the magic happens.

Reaching the rest of the manufacturers will definitely not be achieved by kickstarter.

Cant wait for the GB list to open! I hope the project doesn't exceed 2k USD tho..

Audioweaver would be an ideal match

Audioweaver seems to be a great solution to make this kit flexible for all sorts of uses, but I am not sure if Audioweaver use is constrained by the developer in any way. I gather the use of this software would not be marketed or sold with the unit?

Just found this thread while looking for a winter project. I LIKE IT!

Tranquility Bass,

Have you considered design/construction options to reduce the number of PCBs?
?? Second release after debug and user feedback ??

I was looking at the Gustard X20 8 channel dac packaging which appears to have:
-large analog board with both analog RCA and XLR inputs, DAC chip, and analog power supply regulators;
----the PCB layout can solder down either RCA or XLR output jacks. (not both)
-a medium size daughter PCB with XMOS chip and rear USB socket plugs into the analog PCB;
----a digital ribbon cable connects USB data to the digital PCB
-large digital board with digital inputs, USB, and digital power regulator;
----a coaxial cable connects the digital data to the analog DAC PCB
-front panel LCD PCB
-front panel input selector PCB
-two power transformers are in a separate chamber.

Tranquility Bass,

I was looking at the Gustard X20 8 channel dac packaging which appears to have:
-large analog board with both analog RCA and XLR inputs, DAC chip, and analog power supply regulators;
----the PCB layout can solder down either RCA or XLR output jacks. (not both)
-a medium size daughter PCB with XMOS chip and rear USB socket plugs into the analog PCB;
----a digital ribbon cable connects USB data to the digital PCB
-large digital board with digital inputs, USB, and digital power regulator;
----a coaxial cable connects the digital data to the analog DAC PCB
-front panel LCD PCB
-front panel input selector PCB
-two power transformers are in a separate chamber.

Isnt that a 2CH DAC?

Isnt that a 2CH DAC?

You are correct... the standard Gustard X20 has 2 analog channels. I was confused by a Chinese website where this same Gustard chassis was being used for an 8-channel analog output product, where the analog board was now turned wide toward the rear panel for the extra analog RCA/XLR output plugs, and the transformers were in the front left.

-Digital PCB is modest width but full length on the right side. All digital I/O attached to this PCB.
-Analog PCB along the rear is modest depth but uses the remaining chassis width to solder down the rear 8 analog outputs.
---XMOS USB is a vertical daughter card that sockets into the Analog PCB.
-Gustard puts the power supply regulators on the main PCBs.

My Bad... I can't read Chinese. This might be a proto.

Audioweaver seems to be a great solution to make this kit flexible for all sorts of uses, but I am not sure if Audioweaver use is constrained by the developer in any way. I gather the use of this software would not be marketed or sold with the unit?

Because there have been such a diverse range of requirements for this board a one-size-fits-all firmware was becoming an impossibility so some way of user customization was necessary which is provided by the Audioweaver framework.

The plan is too provide the Audioweaver framework with each board purchased which grants to the user a non transferable license to use the Audioweaver application for that particular board.

cheers

Last edited:

Tranquility Bass,

I found the current lineup of boards provided the best flexibility of board count and customization options. For example if someone just wants USB Audio then they do not need the Analog and Digital Audio boards etc. If you have all of the possible audio IO on one board then it becomes too big and unwieldy and you waste a lot of resources if you don't need them. Also it's not possible to fit all of the connectors onto one side of the pcb.

cheers

Audioweaver licensing

The plan is too provide the Audioweaver framework with each board purchased which grants to the user a non transferable license to use the Audioweaver application for that particular board.

cheers

Does this mean you will be licensing Audioweaver or is there another mechanism you can arrange? I understand the licensing fee is not a small amount, and the fee must be added in the final cost. Still, I couldn't think of a better solution than Audioweaver. After using a number of other programs designed for developing crossovers for specific hardware, Audioweaver has so much potential.

Does this mean you will be licensing Audioweaver or is there another mechanism you can arrange? I understand the licensing fee is not a small amount, and the fee must be added in the final cost. Still, I couldn't think of a better solution than Audioweaver. After using a number of other programs designed for developing crossovers for specific hardware, Audioweaver has so much potential.

It will be factored into the price of course ;)

cheers

@Tranquility Bass

This looks like a fantastic design, and while you're well beyond making any majors changes to the design, please don't laugh to much at the following questions, or suggestions.

-The primary problem with a good deal of the active crossover solutions comes down to integration with multichannel sources, and HDMI because DRM that only exists to make it a pita for people who pay for their media.

? Is it possible to use different usb - i2s that can provide digital signals for Front (L + R), and R (L + R)? As in, utilizing the existing digital sources, or are they all on a selector? B/c maybe i'm misinterpreting the "isolated". Where an HTPC can act as the source.

? - Will there be some sort of exposed control interface so that it can be controlled with say andruino , or beaglebone?

I only state this, because in the vast majority of audiophile implementations that I have visited... it's rare for them to have 7.1, and two properly setup front channel speakers can create an adequate virtual center, because if they can't... they can't image worth a damn, or have an incredibly narrow "sweet spot".

? - Can the optical/ coslink outputs be utilized with different settings? 1 - Can one digital output go to an external dac/ processor to handle any needed sub bass duties, and another can goto a headphone dac/amp routing the front channels or maybe another profile to use the dsp for some funky headphone functions (ambiophonics... etc.)?

? - Assuming that intended implementation might be to use after a home theater processor or source, does the dsp report back to the user the expected delay due to processing time, so that this can be handled and account upstream in some sort of multi channel source?

? - Elaborate on your implementation of HT -bypass? IE, idiot proof volume control?

Also, I like everyone else is hoping that this is closer to minidsp 10x10hd money than say deqX money. :)

Have a fantastic day.

Last edited:
Margins and ROI

@Tranquility Bass

This looks like a fantastic design.....
Also, I like everyone else is hoping that this is closer to minidsp 10x10hd money than say deqX money. :)

Have a fantastic day.

Just a thought on pricing.

Please be reasonable with Tranquility Bass....
Is it really fair to ask a DIY / start up manufacturer who has no economy of scale and a steep learning curve to finance to offer a product which is superior in performance but similar in price to an established Hong Kong based company with a low cost base and high volume production....?

Guys, if you want cheap get on Ebay and take your chances.
If you want value for money buy Mini DSP or decent Pro Audio gear.
If you want the best buy DEQX.

The TB product will be great, and great value but at a higher price point than Mini DSP for sure....Nearer DEQX $$ as that is the nearest potential competitor.
For the record, I am not associated at all with TB, in fact I will be competing in this market in a few months time, but I feel for TB when he is being put under $$ pressure before he even gets started....

Good luck TB and keep up the good work!
Cheers
Derek.

The minidsp 10x10hd costs 600 dollars, a deqx can cost 6500 dollars.
As such there is more than an order of magnitude difference in price.

I'm also fairly certain that if if was possible to sell at 600 (which I don't think it is, no matter what economy of scale), that there would be much more than an order of magnitude difference in the total number of sales. You know, the demand is going to be elastic. :)

But that's not the scope of my questions, and as a former deqx owner, I can tell you that calling it the best.... is specious at best. Unless you were referring to the ease of implementation "if" it fits your specific needs.

But anyways this all off topic.

Good luck on your project when you start it.

Just a thought on pricing.

Please be reasonable with Tranquility Bass....
Is it really fair to ask a DIY / start up manufacturer who has no economy of scale and a steep learning curve to finance to offer a product which is superior in performance but similar in price to an established Hong Kong based company with a low cost base and high volume production....?

Guys, if you want cheap get on Ebay and take your chances.
If you want value for money buy Mini DSP or decent Pro Audio gear.
If you want the best buy DEQX.

The TB product will be great, and great value but at a higher price point than Mini DSP for sure....Nearer DEQX $$ as that is the nearest potential competitor.
For the record, I am not associated at all with TB, in fact I will be competing in this market in a few months time, but I feel for TB when he is being put under $$ pressure before he even gets started....

Good luck TB and keep up the good work!
Cheers
Derek.