• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project

Yes, but that should have been in place in time before they discontinued the previous line. What if you had your product finished, and that was your main income? Suddenly, you have to start over since a supplier choses not to offer some of the components you are depending on. You should really think about that now.

Yes, but that should have been in place in time before they discontinued the previous line. What if you had your product finished, and that was your main income? Suddenly, you have to start over since a supplier choses not to offer some of the components you are depending on. You should really think about that now.

Yes I know where you are coming from and I may have to consider using another vendors ADC as part of a contingency plan in case the replacement doesn't eventuate :(

cheers

Last edited:
I am not sure I would be too confident about the DAC availability either.

I think it's a completely different situation for the DAC compared to the ADC. The ES9018 Sabre DAC is nearly an industry standard and is used in too many high-profile products to even count. It's not going away anytime soon without a stream of new reference DAC's in the pipeline; it's a cash cow for ESS and they're not going to screw that up.

Entirely different for the ES9112 ADC; it doesn't have the usage volume that the 9018 DAC has, so they likely have had the new version in the works and planned the phase-in of the new chip well in advance. Likely they had an issue with the tape-out of the new silicon and require a final tweak, but likely already ramped down production of the existing ADC and can't jump back into the queue without stealing production volume from the high-demand DAC parts.

I have no specific knowledge of the situation, but I've seen this scenario on many occasions over the years during silicon transitions.

Bad news regarding the Sabre ES9102 ADC. No stock available anywhere so I can't test it :( Seems that the first run of boards will be earmarked for people who only want digital inputs.

Shaw Electronics is the major ESS distributor in US from what I understand and it looks like they have the 9112 and 9102 available, they mention to contact bryans@shawelectronics.com for international orders. Could be worth a try.

Shaw Electronics is the major ESS distributor in US from what I understand and it looks like they have the 9112 and 9102 available, they mention to contact bryans@shawelectronics.com for international orders. Could be worth a try.

My contact in the US tried to order directly from them and they have no stock. Also they have taken those two parts off their website.

cheers

I know questions about when this chipset will be ready are not usually answered.
But, maybe you can say which year you expect to deliver? 2015, 2016 or 2017?

With or without the ADC I am tentatively aiming for 1st quarter 2016. Someone suggested in an email that I should crowd source fund it on Kick Starter or Indiegogo. It would generate the necessary funds to get a suitable quantity made and keep the price down. Remember there is about 10 different boards ranging in complexity. What do people think about this ?

cheers

With an ADC I'm very interested assuming it has adequate performance, noise and distortion, which currently look promising, at least by data sheet info. I'm comparing with a high quality home build three channel analogue crossover where S/N is better than -117dB on HF channel and mid and low are -122 and -127dB respectively. Distortion even at (abnormally) high level input is also very very small (don't have numbers to hand). Not expecting 'digital' to beat this but if it's close it will be very tempting for all of the up sides digital brings. Should also set a good marker for how wide the closing gap is between digital and analogue for the affordable but high quality end of the market. Are you able to publish actual S/N and distortion please? Appreciate that is subject to sorting ADC for analogue input purposes.

Tranquility,
Are you planning on just doing the boards or are you proposing to develop a kit with parts to produce this design? I've been following this thread for some time and it does look interesting, if anything a great learning tool dealing with digital signal processing. I'm not so sure that Kickstarter or Indiegogo are appropriate for a diy project, but perhaps there are enough people watching that would be interested, it just seems to be a bit different than the common crowd sourcing type of applications.

Wouldn't you be just as well off with offering this as a group buy on this site? Are you planning to make this a commercial project, are you looking to make a profit? I have no problem with people making money and if that is the goal that is fine with me, I just don't know your objective as far as the monetary side of things.

I keep learning things by reading this thread so it has been much appreciated. A simple version for those not needing a multi-channel system would be nice for a simple stereo system and not necessarily a high channel count for a HT system.

Tranquility,
Are you planning on just doing the boards or are you proposing to develop a kit with parts to produce this design? I've been following this thread for some time and it does look interesting, if anything a great learning tool dealing with digital signal processing. I'm not so sure that Kickstarter or Indiegogo are appropriate for a diy project, but perhaps there are enough people watching that would be interested, it just seems to be a bit different than the common crowd sourcing type of applications.

Wouldn't you be just as well off with offering this as a group buy on this site? Are you planning to make this a commercial project, are you looking to make a profit? I have no problem with people making money and if that is the goal that is fine with me, I just don't know your objective as far as the monetary side of things.

I keep learning things by reading this thread so it has been much appreciated. A simple version for those not needing a multi-channel system would be nice for a simple stereo system and not necessarily a high channel count for a HT system.

There have been quite a few diy type products on kickstarter and Indiegogo so it's a broad platform. But for something like this perhaps a finished product with different configurations maybe more appropriate.

I'm planning on supplying diyer's and OEM's as well as some finished product for those that have no experience with electronics.

cheers

With an ADC I'm very interested assuming it has adequate performance, noise and distortion, which currently look promising, at least by data sheet info. I'm comparing with a high quality home build three channel analogue crossover where S/N is better than -117dB on HF channel and mid and low are -122 and -127dB respectively. Distortion even at (abnormally) high level input is also very very small (don't have numbers to hand). Not expecting 'digital' to beat this but if it's close it will be very tempting for all of the up sides digital brings. Should also set a good marker for how wide the closing gap is between digital and analogue for the affordable but high quality end of the market. Are you able to publish actual S/N and distortion please? Appreciate that is subject to sorting ADC for analogue input purposes.

That's why I have chosen one of the best ADC's in the industry but unfortunately it is not available at this point in time. The ADC specs were available from the ESSTech website before they scrubbed the chip but the detailed specs are in the app note which is subject to an NDA. Hopefully it won't be long before they have a replacement with even better specs.

cheers