• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project

What about those other 8 boards you were talking about ?? My R-2R board can take a balanced LVDS clock directly into the FPGA, so clock quality should not be a problem....

On the other hand, I'm mostly interested in additional DSP power, good software and an user interface, so I could then easily make a board with the same DSP, and then modular DAC and ADC modules :) Assuming you're interested in sharing DSP code, on DIY or commercial basis....

Btw, what are you planning for there, commercial project, open source or combinations ?
Are you planning for actual production, assuming enough interest ?

This project is not open source. For a start I have had to sign an NDA with ESSTech so that precludes publishing the circuit. Secondly this design is based on an existing DSP design which is not in the public domain. A lot of the code I am reusing from another project which is not public domain.

Analog Devices tools are not free and nor is the ICE although the newer tools have come down in price somewhat.

I can provide TTL compatible I2S signals. Do you need a master clock ? Having said that the existing design is based around an ES9018 DAC and ES9112 ADC with 8 channels balanced/unbalanced output.

regards

I have a "Najda" with separate dac's today that I'm very pleased
with, but this might be interesting if the update (?) in dsp
recourses would take it even further.

Actually posted a thread some time ago asking for a dsp using what's at
the edge of technology today. Is this it ?

My dsp, you could probably tell from the picure what the dac's are (I'm keeping them by the way):).

almost0006.jpg

almost0001.jpg

I am interested if I can have it without the ESS ADC (I mean bought unpopulated) and price not to expensive : I only need one optical digital stereo in . good choice on the adsp214xx . very interested in your lineup of hardware dsp boards .

You will only need the Digital Audio IO board and not the Analog Input board which would offer the most cost savings rather than manufacturing another run of the boards without the ADC.

cheers
david

This particular DSP is configured to use four I2S channels to drive the 8 channel SABRE DAC. It is possible to route these signals off board but I chose to do everything on board in one compact board layout. Having said that I have located all of the asynchronous digital IO on another dedicated board. These consist of S/PDIF coax and optical inputs as well as an AES/EBU input and S/PDIF output.

The reason why I have chosen this DSP over others is that it is designed for audio applications and contains a number of useful audio related peripherals which minimizes the chip count.

regards
david

This is a truly interesting Project.

Will it be possible to use more than one DSP system, e.g. one master controller and the others as slaves?

Can you please describe how the "Bit-perfect level control on each individual channel"this is implemented its gain range?

I suppose you will show measurements of the system when you're ready :)

Currently this board is stand alone and designed to output 8 channels. I saw no reason to offer expansion for more channels.

The Bit Perfect volume control is based on the volume control built into the Sabre DAC. For more info check here:-

404 Not Found

And yes when the prototype is built I will be posting results for it. Hopefully there won't be too many problems but you know how hardware can be :(

cheers
David

Thank you.

There are reasons to have master/slave functionality. In my case I've a four way satellite horn setup and would like to add distributed subwoofers. E.g. 4 subs would sum up to 12 channels in total.
Others using active crossovers on HT speaker setup would also soon come short with 8 (10) channels.
For comparison, Hypex DLCP can have 6pcs 6 channel modules connected to operate as one DSP/preamp system.

I've problems using USB audio with multi-module routing on the current DLCP. I believe that is due the way USB is implemented on DLCP.
But when using PCM the source can be connected through AES/EBU or S/PDIF on first module. CAT6 cables are used to loop through S/PDIF and for controls of the the second DLCP and so on. It is also possible to use separate S/PDIF on the DLCP modules.
It is also possible to install two DLCP modules in one cabinet, internally routed/connected to work as one preamp. In such case the CAT6 cable can be looped trough the other pairs or standalone DLCP modules.
Each 6ch DLCP module have to be programmed individually and only one module is available for config and view at a time in the filter software. IMO a drawback in the way Hypex have implemented the multi-module feature.

Forgive me for nagging, but I find your platform darn interesting. My wishes and questions therefore have the best intentions.

1. Is it possible to add an i.e. jumper/header between the analog outputs from the DSP and the analog output driver stages. I'm not necessarily thinking of having the analog drivers stages on a separate PCB, but to have the possibility to tap the analog signals from the DSP and reroute it to other buffers or to e.g. add analog attenuators/volume controls. I prefer stepped attenuators for level matching the different amps/speaker drivers. It simply gives me better manual control when calibrating expensive drivers. In some cases, I need to attenuate the mids/highs as much as 15-20dB compared to the woofers. Attenuating with high quality resistive attenuators could therefore IMO also be beneficial for the S/N ratio.

2. There are a few quite good and advanced computer software out there for making crossovers and correction filters, like e.g. Acourate. Will you make it possible to import filters made by such software into your DSP?

3. For convenience when doing measurements, will it be possible to connect measuring mic at an input and run the DSP full duplex while measuring?

Forgive me for nagging, but I find your platform darn interesting. My wishes and questions therefore have the best intentions.

1. Is it possible to add an i.e. jumper/header between the analog outputs from the DSP and the analog output driver stages. I'm not necessarily thinking of having the analog drivers stages on a separate PCB, but to have the possibility to tap the analog signals from the DSP and reroute it to other buffers or to e.g. add analog attenuators/volume controls. I prefer stepped attenuators for level matching the different amps/speaker drivers. It simply gives me better manual control when calibrating expensive drivers. In some cases, I need to attenuate the mids/highs as much as 15-20dB compared to the woofers. Attenuating with high quality resistive attenuators could therefore IMO also be beneficial for the S/N ratio.

There are two 26 pin IDC headers that provide all of the 8 channels of balanced and unbalanced audio outputs after the on-board IV converters. These would normally be connected to either an 8-way unbalanced or 8-way balanced output board or both boards together. Alternatively you could connect these to your own board for further processing such as level controls etc. You will still need to buffer the output of your level controls though.

2. There are a few quite good and advanced computer software out there for making crossovers and correction filters, like e.g. Acourate. Will you make it possible to import filters made by such software into your DSP?
Yes most certainly in addition to software such as rePhase etc.

3. For convenience when doing measurements, will it be possible to connect measuring mic at an input and run the DSP full duplex while measuring?
The analog input board has a balanced microphone input with switchable 48V phantom supply. The DSP can generate tones whilst measuring the response at the same time.

cheers