• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project

One would think that 2 coax, 2 Toslink and 2 AES/EBU digital inputs would more than likely fulfill most needs and avoid having spend time/resources making alternative boards.

GM

After thinking about it for a bit... from a rear panel space efficiency prospective... 3x stacked coax over Toslink and one AES/EBU would provide 7 digital inputs in the same space as my above suggestion.

Seems overkill to me personally... but then, I am looking forward to that MM Phono Input... :cool:

After thinking about it for a bit... from a rear panel space efficiency prospective... 3x stacked coax over Toslink and one AES/EBU would provide 7 digital inputs in the same space as my above suggestion.

Seems overkill to me personally... but then, I am looking forward to that MM Phono Input... :cool:

That's not a bad idea. Any suggestions for a RCA/Toslink stacked connector ?

cheers

OK this is the latest incantation of the Digital Audio IO board. It is now the same width of the Analog Input board so the back panel layout is now very busy.

It now has 6 digital inputs and two digital outputs comprising of:-

• Digital Inputs -
    • 6 x S/PDIF Inputs -
      • 3 x Isolated COAX RCA Inputs
      • 1 x Isolated AES/EBU XLR Inputs
      • 2 x TOSLINK Inputs
    • 1 x Isolated I2S Input - PSAUDIO standard
    • 1 x Isolated USB Input - Asynchronous USB 2.0 using Amanero Combo 384
  • Digital Outputs -
    • 2 x S/PDIF Outputs -
      • 1 x BNC COAX RCA output
      • 1 x TOSLINK output
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

cheers

Last edited:
Hi

I just started experimenting with SHARC processors, I'm playing with their older processors the ADSP 21065L is this processor usefull? I'm interested in doing simple stuff with it first, then moving onto something more powerful like the SHARC 21489.

I only have the processor, im busy prototyping small board for it.

Your project looks very neat, you must have alot of experience on this platform to pull something off like this.

Hi

I just started experimenting with SHARC processors, I'm playing with their older processors the ADSP 21065L is this processor usefull? I'm interested in doing simple stuff with it first, then moving onto something more powerful like the SHARC 21489.

I only have the processor, im busy prototyping small board for it.

Your project looks very neat, you must have alot of experience on this platform to pull something off like this.

ADSP-21065L is a first generation "low cost" SHARC device and not recommended for new designs even though it is still available and used in current products such as Behringer and DEQX. It is only available as a 66MHz (66 MMACS) part and is very expensive compared with the newest parts.

It does not have much in the way of built in peripherals compared to later parts so you will be adding a lot of external chips to a board designed with this DSP.

Because of the low clock rate and single 3.3V supply it is probably much simpler to layout compared to the later parts with separate CORE and IO supply.

cheers

ADSP-21065L is a first generation "low cost" SHARC device and not recommended for new designs even though it is still available and used in current products such as Behringer and DEQX. It is only available as a 66MHz (66 MMACS) part and is very expensive compared with the newest parts.

It does not have much in the way of built in peripherals compared to later parts so you will be adding a lot of external chips to a board designed with this DSP.

Because of the low clock rate and single 3.3V supply it is probably much simpler to layout compared to the later parts with separate CORE and IO supply.

cheers

Thanks for getting back to me.

I agree, the price is pretty expensive for this old part $43 each a 21489
isnt that expensive compared to the 21065L.. however I have four unused processors so I'm going to use it for something simple.

The 21065L has no peripherals (I dont need it though
).. only SPORT with up to 8-channels I think I will still go through with a simple design just to experiment nothing like yours.

Sorry, I don't want to disrespect this thread I will start a new one and hopefully get help from everyone.

What's the possibility of 44.1/88.2/176.4 version, is it as simple as changing the clock? I would really like to interface with something like an XMOS async usb device to play music from a hard drive. All of my stored music is CD's ripped to hard drive as FLAC

It will process any sampling rate between 32K and 192K. ;)

cheers

It will process any sampling rate between 32K and 192K. ;)

cheers

Hi,

This is really a brilliant product plan and i so wanted something like this.
I would have set out building these myself, but for the lack of time, funds and of course a big skill hole in the form of firmware, software that needs to go with these :)

Have been following this thread for months now.

Any rough time lines when these might become available for purchase? Also these will clearly not be in miniDSP price range, but sincerely hope not DEQX range either. That will immediately shatter my dreams of using these on my dream OB speakers :)

thanks
J

Hi,

This is really a brilliant product plan and i so wanted something like this.
I would have set out building these myself, but for the lack of time, funds and of course a big skill hole in the form of firmware, software that needs to go with these :)

Have been following this thread for months now.

Any rough time lines when these might become available for purchase? Also these will clearly not be in miniDSP price range, but sincerely hope not DEQX range either. That will immediately shatter my dreams of using these on my dream OB speakers :)

thanks
J

I think you will still be able to use your dream OB speakers without the nightmares ;)

cheers

Thanks for the reply, one more question, is there sample rate conversion happening?

Yes there is sample rate conversion going on but it should be very transparent and provide more jitter reduction on top of what's available from the Sabre DAC. This allows the digital processing to be optimized for a higher frequency rather than having to be reprogrammed everytime the input sampling rate is changed. Digital filters work better the higher the sampling rate ;)

cheers