• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project

This box looks very interesting indeed. One question about the DSP functionality: Is it possible to load filters generated from room correction software such as Acourate, Audiolense or Dirac?

You can load FIR filter tap coefficients from a file so I don't see why not.

Depends how many taps you need of course because that resource is not unlimited.

cheers

Joined 2007
Paid Member
$2.5k is high diy territory

For that kind of money i could buy a Lynx Hilo, how does it compare?

I don't think that they are comparable.

A Hilo is a converter interface (A/D and D/A). It looks as thought it would still require some DSP engine to implement a crossover network plus some expansion cards to get eight channels of analog output. The bare bones unit is about USD 2700.00.

The device here has a phono stage plus two other analog inputs (balanced and unbalanced) plus digital inputs for about 2-2.5k USD. It has sufficient DSP horsepower to form a complex crossover network for a pair of 4-way speakers.

I am very seriously considering one. It seems like a cool piece of kit and would solve numerous problems for me.

$2.5k is high diy territory

For that kind of money i could buy a Lynx Hilo, how does it compare?
That's a strange comparison. Lynx Hilo is 2 channel AD/DA converter. Analogue-Precison has 8 channels and functions as a crossover filter including advanced FIR filters.

The Lynx Aurora 8 doesn't have the same functionality either. The only one in the pro industry that comes close is Metric Halo, but it doesn't have FIR filter, nor a display or remote capabilities. Sure, these pro units have other functionalities of course as they are meant for studios.
Metric Halo ULN-8 - Thomann UK

DEQX HDP-4 or HDP-5 is a product that you could compare it with to some degree. But I'm quite certain the Analogue-Precison holds higher quality in terms of lower distortion, besides offering two extra channels, a proper display and greater software flexibility.
HDP-4 – DEQX

I would say the price of the Analogue-Precision is very competitive.

Can two Ultimate Preamps be linked if one wanted to crossover 5-8 channels?

If you mean stereo 5 to 8 way then it is possible to link two boards to get a total of 16 channels but the base unit we currently offer only has 8 channels. But we are working on providing an extra two channels via one of the S/PDIF outputs using an external DAC. Typically this would be used to power a pair of subwoofers to make up a stereo 5 way system.

regards
David

Ok, I'm sold
But why is it so important the crossover is handled in the DAC. I plan to use acurate's fliters/ software before it reaches the DAC.
Is'nt this feature something I will eventually won't use or need? Please info me? thanks

The crossover is implemented in the DSP not the DAC. Even if you feed two channel audio from a PC that does some DSP functionality you still need an external crossover if you are going to implement multi-way active speakers.

cheers

and finally I put DSP in use
I'm still trying to figure out audio weaver
for start I used tree way template from analog precision web page and change slope from 4 order to 2 order LR.

What I would like to know, if I chose 2 order LR, do I need to reverse polarity on one driver manually or is it made automatically via software ?
If I have to make it manuall is it done like on the picture ?

thanks

Attachments

• josip katalinic_harm01.jpg
    josip katalinic_harm01.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 432
  • josip katalinic_harm07.jpg
    josip katalinic_harm07.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 432
  • invert.jpg
    invert.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 417
@yoke what drivers have you used? Is the bass sealed or vented?
Hi, I'm using;
scan speak 2904/7000 - Aleph mini
scan speak 18W8545 (closed) - AlephX (around 60W - 8 mosfet per amp)
scan speak 2 X 21W8555 (closed around 46L - stuffed with sonofil) - right now amplifier is LJM L30D (D class) until I finish CFA amplifier from dadod

source is rPi 2 (music from NAS) connected via usb to David's DSP

Hi, I'm using;
scan speak 2904/7000 - Aleph mini
scan speak 18W8545 (closed) - AlephX (around 60W - 8 mosfet per amp)
scan speak 2 X 21W8555 (closed around 46L - stuffed with sonofil) - right now amplifier is LJM L30D (D class) until I finish CFA amplifier from dadod

source is rPi 2 (music from NAS) connected via usb to David's DSP
That will sound pretty sweet when its all dialed in. Nice work.