• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project

My long-term DSP-need is (at least) 6 channels in (5.1 digital or analogue) and 10 analogue out (L-C-R speakers 2-way active with FIR, rear speakers passive, 2 subwoofers).
Could this platform fulfil that, with a global remotely controled volume control, I would very likely buy it :)

Last edited:
My long-term DSP-need is (at least) 6 channels in (5.1 digital or analogue) and 10 analogue out (L-C-R speakers 2-way active with FIR, rear speakers passive, 2 subwoofers).
Could this platform fulfil that, with a global remotely controled volume control, I would very likely buy it :)

I can think of a pro-audio computer interface with JRiver (or equivalent) and S/W convolution for such application.

For example, MOTU 16A (MOTU.com - Tech Specs) has 16 analogue in and 16 analogue out (with 2 units of ES9018 DAC).

If source materials are all stored in computer, then MOTU 24Ao can drive 3-way active speakers in 7.1 set up or 4-way active speakers in 5.1 today.

I can think of a pro-audio computer interface with JRiver (or equivalent) and S/W convolution for such application.

For example, MOTU 16A (MOTU.com - Tech Specs) has 16 analogue in and 16 analogue out (with 2 units of ES9018 DAC).

If source materials are all stored in computer, then MOTU 24Ao can drive 3-way active speakers in 7.1 set up or 4-way active speakers in 5.1 today.

In theory, this is the optimal soultion! In practice, I know I am going to hate it!

There are too many variables that can, and will, go wrong in a computer setup.
I did the htpc-thing some years ago. Just to get video RGB levels and not computer-levels in the video-signal was at that point impossible to get out from that darn thing.

This is what I do, works well. Gives loads of flexibility when messing with other speaker setups , taking measurements, expirimenting and trying different filters etc. I used to use mini DSP stuff but it just want flexible enough. The new board being discussed here is just what I need, I'm watching development closely 😊

This is what I do, works well. Gives loads of flexibility when messing with other speaker setups , taking measurements, expirimenting and trying different filters etc. I used to use mini DSP stuff but it just want flexible enough. The new board being discussed here is just what I need, I'm watching development closely 😊

This also what I am doing, except I use the Motu 1248 instead , which sounds identical to the 16a. In fact the new Motu high-end units (AVB-line) sound so well, that I have started a small hobby-based dealership to sell to audiophiles and musicians in Denmark. For a looong tread about the Motu units, see Gearslutz

The Motu units have the ESS Sabre 9016 chip built in - not the 9018S, which is used for Buffalo and the DAC project in this thread. The 9016 is a little brother to the 9018S with less fine specs, but it has the same features i.e. built in 32 bit digital volume control.

Using a multichannel DAC for playback from PC gives a lot of possibilities for tailoring DSP filters to an audio/video system - including FIR filters with a lot of taps. Playback through JRiver automatically synchronises audio and video. My children and even my wife can handle the system:) Driver delays can be set to optimum in the listening position without loudspeaker baffle steps.

I only use freeware for measuring and filter creation: Holm and REW for measuring and Rephase for filter generation. These are truly remarkable tools. For discussions on use of Rehpase, see DIYaudio.

PS! I am very interested in the project and a potential buyer. Forgot to write that in my former post.

The main strength of multichannel DAC's for studio use is their finished character "in a box". Focus on mixing functions etc. must come at a cost, and carefully chosen parts in the entire signal chain should be able to beat a studio DAC sonically. That said, the sound quality is amazing - and this goes for several high end studio DACs. Only advantage of the Motu DACs is the price, which is a fraction of competitors' at this sound quality.

Update

Hello

Here is a follow-up update on the progress. Most of the hardware has been tested and works without any major rework of the board. Power supply, DSP, and Sabre DAC is working. LCD driver is working as can be seen below. Previous "User Controls" board from the DSPServo design works fine as well as IR remote control interface. Still to be installed and tested is the Audio USB interface and the ES9102 Sabre ADC simply because I have not got one yet. Will get around to testing the Digital audio IO board and feed some signals from the S/PDIF interface on my external PC sound blaster box.

The following test has the DSP generating a 1KHz 32 bit resolution sinewave and driving all 8 channels of the ES9018 Sabre DAC with no problems with locking ;)

cheers

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Hello

Here is a follow-up update on the progress. Most of the hardware has been tested and works without any major rework of the board. Power supply, DSP, and Sabre DAC is working. LCD driver is working as can be seen below. Previous "User Controls" board from the DSPServo design works fine as well as IR remote control interface. Still to be installed and tested is the Audio USB interface and the ES9102 Sabre ADC simply because I have not got one yet. Will get around to testing the Digital audio IO board and feed some signals from the S/PDIF interface on my external PC sound blaster box.

The following test has the DSP generating a 1KHz 32 bit resolution sinewave and driving all 8 channels of the ES9018 Sabre DAC with no problems with locking ;)

cheers

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Wish there was a like button:)

Maybe I can't help with the software? If you are working with .NET then I can help you, I am not got at algebra but I can implement any API and I am good at UI

Have you thought about HDMI input?

HDMI is really the only way to get unrestricted audio out of an AVR. When you look at the AVR optical outputs, there is always fine print. There are lots of HDMI audio extractors around, some of which are inexpensive but that isn't the cleanest solution and it might have problems with DHCP or other issues. An integrated solution would be so much nicer and problem free.

My usage would be this HDMI into this DSP engine with 8 ch XLR out going to pro amps with DSP, balanced all the way. I would use the DSP in the amps for simple IIR crossovers for 2-way or 3-way active speakers. IIR DSP in amps is getting to be almost free and this seems a good way to use it. The FIR DSP in the big engine can time correct the speakers plus the room as a system.

Have you thought about HDMI input?

HDMI is really the only way to get unrestricted audio out of an AVR. When you look at the AVR optical outputs, there is always fine print. There are lots of HDMI audio extractors around, some of which are inexpensive but that isn't the cleanest solution and it might have problems with DHCP or other issues. An integrated solution would be so much nicer and problem free.

My usage would be this HDMI into this DSP engine with 8 ch XLR out going to pro amps with DSP, balanced all the way. I would use the DSP in the amps for simple IIR crossovers for 2-way or 3-way active speakers. IIR DSP in amps is getting to be almost free and this seems a good way to use it. The FIR DSP in the big engine can time correct the speakers plus the room as a system.

I was told that it cost $10,000 for a HDMI license and another $5000 a year for the HDCP keys !! It may make a good kickstarter product in the future ;)

I've been looking at the Linkwitz LX521 speaker system which needs an active crossover. They're going from an analog crossover to a Mini-DSP 4Way crossover. I feel like the 24-96khz sample rate they're using will degrade 192khz material or DSD music.

I'm wondering if this project can be used for the LX521 4-way crossover? Will it have the DSP horsepower to do stereo 4-channel crossovers at 192 KHZ?