Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th February 2015, 12:59 PM   #121
tb303 is offline tb303
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquility Bass View Post
Should be no clicks or pops even from a cold start

cheers
I can't wait to throw money at you
Old 19th February 2015, 11:50 AM   #122
Tranquility Bass is offline Tranquility Bass  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb303 View Post
I can't wait to throw money at you
That's a nice thought
Old 19th February 2015, 12:27 PM   #123
pos is offline pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

How many taps can we expect, at what sampling frequency, and on how many channels?
Will it be possible to freely distribute taps among channels?
Any downsampling plan?
Old 19th February 2015, 06:18 PM   #124
dudaindc is offline dudaindc  United States
diyAudio Member

This is brilliant!
Interested? Oh yeah...

Cheers!
Old 19th February 2015, 10:32 PM   #125
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos View Post
How many taps can we expect, at what sampling frequency, and on how many channels?
Will it be possible to freely distribute taps among channels?
Any downsampling plan?
Total number of taps depends on the sample rate and the tap rate which is 1.25 nS per tap for this dsp. This gives us a total number of taps of:-

4K taps @ 192KHz
8K taps @ 96KHz
16K taps @ 48KHz

but that is with the core running flat out processing the FIR and not doing much else. Distributed over 2 channels you can divide those figures by 2. With 1:4 decimation it is possible to achieve 16K taps at 192KHz or 8K per channel for stereo or 2K taps per channel for 8 channels.

Now it is possible to offload the FIR's onto the accelerator which requires almost no core intervention and has similar tap execution time to the core. One can expect a similar tap execution time but there are some other overheads involved with this. I am still looking into the pros and cons of this feature. I wrongly assumed that I could process 8 channels concurrently with this feature but there are only 4 MAC units assigned to the whole of the 32K taps and not to each 1K segment as I initially assumed

cheers

Last edited by Tranquility Bass; 19th February 2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 20th February 2015, 09:12 AM   #126
tb303 is offline tb303
diyAudio Member

Quote:
8K taps @ 96KHz

Distributed over 2 channels you can divide those figures by 2.
If I understand this correctly, at 96kHz there's 4k taps for Left and Right; freely distributable among the channels. So in a multiway speaker setup, one could use for example 1.8k taps for woofer lowpass, 1.8k for mid bandpass, and 400taps for tweeter highpass.
And in addition to that the "standard" IIR stuff.

A feature I would really like would be a limiter with user definable sidechain filter. So one could design the limiter to act based on driver excursion, not just input volume.
And LED outputs to visualize, when the limiter is engaging.

And another cool thing would be mid/side EQ.
And lots of presets, with control outputs to switch amps, and quick switching times for usable AB comparisions between presets.

Last edited by tb303; 20th February 2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old 20th February 2015, 10:16 AM   #127
LTD is offline LTD  Spain
diyAudio Member

Interesting design!!!

I'm currently using a miniDSP with DIRAC + DBX 4820 to manage my 2x4-way active speakers. I would like to replace this by an integrated system like yours with digital and analog inputs and with the possibility of using DIRAC in order to do DRC. ¿Do you consider feasible to integrate my current minidsp in-between your system? May be, at the point just at the output of the digital input and after the AD converter.

Thanks
Old 21st February 2015, 03:58 AM   #128
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb303 View Post
If I understand this correctly, at 96kHz there's 4k taps for Left and Right; freely distributable among the channels. So in a multiway speaker setup, one could use for example 1.8k taps for woofer lowpass, 1.8k for mid bandpass, and 400taps for tweeter highpass.
And in addition to that the "standard" IIR stuff.

A feature I would really like would be a limiter with user definable sidechain filter. So one could design the limiter to act based on driver excursion, not just input volume.
And LED outputs to visualize, when the limiter is engaging.

And another cool thing would be mid/side EQ.
And lots of presets, with control outputs to switch amps, and quick switching times for usable AB comparisions between presets.
Yes there are 7 programmable status leds and the board should be able to handle your FIR requirements too. The other DSP functions would be a work in progress but still doable even with all of the FIR stuff happening in the background.

The board has one 12 volt trigger output to switch on one amp but this can be expanded to another four more with an expansion board. Most amps have the ability to chain triggers to power up more amps - hopefully with a time delay If not I can accomodate this feature along with optional time delays.

cheers
Old 21st February 2015, 04:06 AM   #129
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD View Post
Interesting design!!!

I'm currently using a miniDSP with DIRAC + DBX 4820 to manage my 2x4-way active speakers. I would like to replace this by an integrated system like yours with digital and analog inputs and with the possibility of using DIRAC in order to do DRC. ¿Do you consider feasible to integrate my current minidsp in-between your system? May be, at the point just at the output of the digital input and after the AD converter.

Thanks
The Sabre ADC has an SPDIF output capability so it is possible to route the output directly to your mindsp via the SPDIF out and the output of your minidsp gets routed back in through one of the SPDIF inputs.

cheers
Old 21st February 2015, 09:26 AM   #130
Omholt is offline Omholt  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Most amps have the ability to chain triggers to power up more amps - hopefully with a time delay If not I can accomodate this feature along with optional time delays.

cheers
Yes. Please do.

Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC projectHide this!Advertise here!