Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2019, 08:25 PM   #1171
etlasr is offline etlasr  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default approx price of Mk2 preamp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquility Bass View Post
Will be offering a pre-order so be prepared to dig deep

regards
david
Early days I know but is there an approx price for the Preamp Mk2? Asking as I need to make a few decisions in next say 3 months and want to know if this is likely to be in my budget range.
Old 14th January 2019, 09:17 AM   #1172
Tranquility Bass is offline Tranquility Bass  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etlasr View Post
Early days I know but is there an approx price for the Preamp Mk2? Asking as I need to make a few decisions in next say 3 months and want to know if this is likely to be in my budget range.
PM sent
Old 21st January 2019, 10:05 AM   #1173
incult is offline incult
diyAudio Member

I would be interested in the pricing as well please
Old 21st January 2019, 11:38 AM   #1174
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incult View Post
I would be interested in the pricing as well please
At lot of people have PM'd me about pricing so I'll address what I can here until further notice.

Will have more to say about pricing when we publish the final specs. Suffice to say the original Preamp was sold for $2365 USD fully optioned up and the UP2 will be more expensive than this and the UP+ will be even more expensive again. There will be a return to base upgrade path from the UP2 to the UP+

Before you cast aspersions on this there are a lot of details and specs we have not published and probably won't be until we are ready to setup the pre-order. Stay tuned folks !

Regards
David

Last edited by Tranquility Bass; 21st January 2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:47 PM   #1175
mickiboi007 is offline mickiboi007  Australia
diyAudio Member

I'm very happy with the deal I got on my UP. The new one will be well worth the extra money. I have my order in.
Old 13th February 2019, 05:03 AM   #1176
Nonlinear is offline Nonlinear  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omholt View Post
Audi Weaver is really a software for an engineer creating a DSP unit (or another product). IMO it's not a software for most end users.
This *entire* product is not for most end users. Audio Weaver should not present any problems for the type of user that understands how to integrate this unit into their system. After all, this isn't just an AV receiver with Audessey EQ...
Old 13th February 2019, 05:17 AM   #1177
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonlinear View Post
This *entire* product is not for most end users. Audio Weaver should not present any problems for the type of user that understands how to integrate this unit into their system. After all, this isn't just an AV receiver with Audessey EQ...
Once you dial in a suitable crossover then it behaves like a normal preamp and that would probably be how it is delivered to a customer or end user along with the multi-channel amps and active speakers

Out of the box it can still be used as a standard two channel preamp or DAC

cheers
david
Old 13th February 2019, 05:28 AM   #1178
mickiboi007 is offline mickiboi007  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omholt View Post
Audi Weaver is really a software for an engineer creating a DSP unit (or another product). IMO it's not a software for most end users.
My 2 cents worth. This is a DIY forum where people build their own speakers, like me. Building a pair of 4 way active loud speakers requires some skill, a reasonable knowledge of sound and electronics. If you were building 4 way passive speakers and you are going to build your own passive crossover, you will require a hell of a lot more knowledge than you need to use this preamp in the same system. And this preamp is way better than any passive crossover anyone here can design. Way better. If you don't have the skills to use something then buy products your skills suit, don't slag off something that is beyond your scope of comprehension just because you can't use it or don't understand it. My 2 cents worth. Audioweaver is not that hard to use.

Last edited by mickiboi007; 13th February 2019 at 05:38 AM.
Old 13th February 2019, 06:11 AM   #1179
bkdog is offline bkdog
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickiboi007 View Post
Audioweaver is not that hard to use.
I completely agree, Audioweaver is NOT that hard to use. And this is diyAudio...
Old 13th February 2019, 04:27 PM   #1180
DSP_Geek is offline DSP_Geek  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickiboi007 View Post
My 2 cents worth. This is a DIY forum where people build their own speakers, like me. Building a pair of 4 way active loud speakers requires some skill, a reasonable knowledge of sound and electronics.
Along with a few woodworking tools

Quote:
If you were building 4 way passive speakers and you are going to build your own passive crossover, you will require a hell of a lot more knowledge than you need to use this preamp in the same system. And this preamp is way better than any passive crossover anyone here can design. Way better.
I wouldn't dismiss passive crossovers out of hand. Most anything one can do with reasonable IIR filters can be done with a passive, same as with analog active xovers, even notch filters and 100 Hz crossover points (although the components start getting pricy...). Some insane 40 dB notch filter could be a tough dollar, but if you need that then a reconsideration of the design might be in order.

Quote:
If you don't have the skills to use something then buy products your skills suit, don't slag off something that is beyond your scope of comprehension just because you can't use it or don't understand it. My 2 cents worth. Audioweaver is not that hard to use.
The learning curve on a new piece of software can be daunting, especially if one is also new to its field of action (the struggle with Excel as my first spreadsheet left no prisoners, we had to nuke the hard drive from orbit to be sure), so Omholt taking a deep breath might be understandable. AudioWeaver was not the most obvious thing to me either, even though for twenty years my resume has read Will DSP For Cash.

A couple of videos from DSP Concepts could help with the learning curve:
Audio Weaver Basic System Design
Audio Weaver for Loudspeaker Processing

And remember, always test the big drivers first. A woofer can deal with high frequencies, but even a fast goalie can't catch tweeter domes if you accidentally do it the other way!

Last edited by DSP_Geek; 13th February 2019 at 04:33 PM.

Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC projectHide this!Advertise here!