• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

If I understand your question, here are two examples with Android and tablet or smartphone
Case 1:
Smartphone (TIDAL)-->USB/OTG-->cable USB-->I2SoverUSB v.III(Or Amanero)-->Soekris/DAM1021-->out analog

Case 2:
Smartphone (USB/PLAYER PRO)-->USB/OTG-->cable USB-->I2SoverUSB v.III(Or Amanero)-->Soekris/DAM1021-->out analog

Been using amanero+1021 with PC and iphone for a few years now without problem. Do note that you don't get volume control with amanero at least on iOS. Also, if you switch between phone and PC, it's a little glitchy and you might need to switch twice for some reason.

Do note that you don't get volume control with amanero at least on iOS.

I think it is the same in Windows. Applications which use the asio driver otoh can control volume.

Tried it last years ago.The software VC seems awkward to me and i also prefer to leave the computer concentrate on playing and not do unneeded calcs. Same goes for any other form of dsp.

I think it is the same in Windows. Applications which use the asio driver otoh can control volume.

Tried it last years ago.The software VC seems awkward to me and i also prefer to leave the computer concentrate on playing and not do unneeded calcs. Same goes for any other form of dsp.

That's not true. The default windows driver gives you volume control, so do WASAPI and ASIO. I also use EqualizerAPO for non-fb2000 audio applications and that works well too, though one could argue the non-exclusive windows audio drivers aren't the most well-written

I don't think it is an issue of the digital connection. It is an issue on how the Fifo of the DAM works. I had similar experience with using always the same connection, see
Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz - Page 734 - diyAudio
post #7334

My explanation is that the DAM memorizes its last internal clock frequency (the 22.57..MHz + adjustment) for a given sample rate family (say 44.1kHz).

If the incoming frequency matches, by coincidence, the stored frequency the DAM clock will stay stable.

If the incoming frequency has some offset (but is stable) the DAM will adjust its own frequency in the attempt to match the incoming frequency. However there adjustment will result have some overshot ... it adjusts in the other direction and enters in an undamped oscillation of small amplitude.

I was able to reach a stable state by changing the sample rate forth and back when the oscillation was at its crossing point, so that the exact frequency of the incoming signal was "stored". This is of cause only a "solution" for experiments.

Having done more experiments I don't think it is merely a problem of the frequency the DAM is syncing to.

I have now tried 2 different sound cards with various clock sources, 4 different ways of connecting the AES/EBU signal (ground/chassis/shield connections) as well as switching the voltage of the AES/EBU signals. I also tried things like adding a small ceramic connecting pin 3 of the AES/EBU input to chassis...

Most of these changes won't affect the clock frequency itself, but they still create a reliable and reproducible sonic difference.

They do affect the digital signal before the input transformer, so there might be different levels of (HF) noise and some of them change the waveform and amplitude of the digital signal. This might translate to an increase or decrease of jitter.

Clocking one of the soundcards to the other one should theoretically increase clock jitter vs the internal clock (according to the manual it's <1ns externally and 800ps internally) and this very audibly worsens the sound quality.

Every one of these different setups translates to characteristical sonic changes, with different frequency bands affected, clarity, focus, room, background vs foreground etc.

It feels more like tweaking in the analog domain...

I also wonder about the DAM1021's S/PDIF input... The DAM1121's input looks familiar and can be set up to accept AES/EBU inputs.

The suspicious thing is the, roughly, 100s period of the effect.
I see that with SPDIF input and the square wave (as linked above), as well as with I2S input and measuring the DAM-clock frequency directly. Therefore my guess that this might be correlated.

At least with I2S, the input jitter should be sub-ps and thus not the primary problem.

I hope that I can soon do some measurements on how the DAM clock reacts on changes of the input clock in a more controlled framework. But I fear I will not be able to make any statements on the effect on the sound.

I'm using a standard microphone cable on one output and a 110 ohm cable on the other output. But these cables are short (2m), so I don't think it should really matter that much, should it?

I also don't get the DAM1021's S/PDIF input circuit.

First, there are no specifications for the transformer in the manual. But these should determine the surrounding circuitry.

And second, with the 330ohm termination resistor between the + and - input, wouldn't there be a difference in DC bias between the secondary windings - which should be avoided because it magnetizes the transformer, resulting in higher distortion, wouldn't it?

People keep asking for how to do AES/EBU interface....

My new recommendation is to use a RS-422 receiver, both for AES/EBU and for Coax. First a transformer, like the Murata DA101, with correct termination resistor, 75R or 110R, then to a Maxim MAX3280E or Intersil ISL3280E, power 3.3V with decoupling, then into the dam1021's ttl level spdif input port.

Pretty simple, if you need multiple ports, add more receivers and a switch.