• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

And the + wire is what refer to that reference... and the difference is the payload ;)

You don't want a rubber band in the and of the steel-wire...

//

Well, in my build this is pre-regulation for the digital side and there is a series resistance for the analog output anyway, so the stiffness of power supply itself doesn't actually matter. But the grounding really matters.

True, though there are 8 channel output USB boards. But indeed probably not for 16 or 32 channels.

The experiment was more for academic purposes... though it would be good to know how much would be lost in SQ by using RME SP-DIF solution. And quite likely there would be solutions to improve jitter of these SP-DIF outputs. E.g. by providing word clock to RME and then let the SP-DIF signals go through clocked latches or so.

Not feasible for a studio setup. You need one master clock and a completely reliable setup of several sound cards using ASIO drivers.

The difference with clocking is really disconcerting. Ironically, it shouldn't matter for the RME card either, which also re-clocks and is supposed to have lower jitter with its internal clock. But the whole audio goodness coming from the DAM collapses once the external DCS converter is no longer the master...

Soeren, could you please chime in what must be going on here and if it can be fixed?

Not feasible for a studio setup. You need one master clock and a completely reliable setup of several sound cards using ASIO drivers.

The difference with clocking is really disconcerting. Ironically, it shouldn't matter for the RME card either, which also re-clocks and is supposed to have lower jitter with its internal clock. But the whole audio goodness coming from the DAM collapses once the external DCS converter is no longer the master...

Soeren, could you please chime in what must be going on here and if it can be fixed?

Master clock is really a concern for the ADC process, you can't directly mix tracks with different sample rate. But it doesn't matter much for the DAC process, as the output is analog with no clock embedded.... Of course, if you use DACs with different delay, you might get problems, so you should stick to the same DAC....

The soekris dam modules all sync their master clock to the incomming sample rate, with a resolution of 1 hz for the 44M/48M master clock. I am thinking about going to a higher resolution, maybe 1/64 hz (so it fit in 32 bit), starting with the dac2541 and then back ported to the dam modules.

Thanks Søren, I should have framed my question better:

I was wondering why the incoming S/PDIF signal's clocking (its amount and type of jitter) makes an audible difference here (since the DAM1021 does re-clocking) and why doubling the S/PDIF output voltage (to professional AES/EBU level) also makes a very audible difference.

And if something can be done to make the DAM1021 less or not susceptible to the incoming clocks idiosyncracies.

The resolution of 1hz is news to me, I read here somewhere that the clock was syncing at a rate of 400 hz...

Thanks Søren, I should have framed my question better:

I was wondering why the incoming S/PDIF signal's clocking (its amount and type of jitter) makes an audible difference here (since the DAM1021 does re-clocking) and why doubling the S/PDIF output voltage (to professional AES/EBU level) also makes a very audible difference.

Could be your source or cabling, test at various places showed no difference between the sources, in fact, many had SPDIF as the best.... Also you can connect the output of a RPi I2S output directly to the I2S input on a dam1021, and the RPi is really jittery, per design. The reclocking fifo works.

And if something can be done to make the DAM1021 less or not susceptible to the incoming clocks idiosyncracies.

Check your receiver circuit and cabling.... I am planning to double the fifo size, but that should only make a difference with high jitter sources.

The resolution of 1hz is news to me, I read here somewhere that the clock was syncing at a rate of 400 hz...

There are different theories floating around by people who don't know much.... The clock get updated at most once per second.

Early on I did describe the digital pll in details, but that was many postings ago....

Last edited:
Could be your source or cabling, test at various places showed no difference between the sources, in fact, many had SPDIF as the best....

Fedde reported the same thing (post #8977), also with a RME card.

Check your receiver circuit and cabling.... I am planning to double the fifo size, but that should only make a difference with high jitter sources.

I use the receiver circuit from the manual, transformer coupled.

How much jitter do you consider to be "high" wrt to the DAM1021?

Also, shouldn't it be either or? Either the FIFO reclocks perfectly no matter what you throw at it or it shouldn't? The RME card is specced to output jitter below the 1ns mark.

Thanks Søren.

Fedde reported the same thing (post #8977), also with a RME card.

Yes, but he also said "But going to a good USB to I2C/spdif board is... " Implying that maybe the RME card isn't that good....

I use the receiver circuit from the manual, transformer coupled
One thing is the schematic, another thing is the actual implementation....

How much jitter do you consider to be "high" wrt to the DAM1021?.

When the 1mS FIFO underflow/overflow, which will cause the dam1021 to loose sync.... Until then the FIFO will eat whatever you feed it.

Also, shouldn't it be either or? Either the FIFO reclocks perfectly no matter what you throw at it or it shouldn't? The RME card is specced to output jitter below the 1ns mark.

Thanks Søren.

Sorry, but I can't really address those subjective "different" sound statements, especially as plenty of other people get good results....

Yes, but he also said "But going to a good USB to I2C/spdif board is... " Implying that maybe the RME card isn't that good....

One thing is the schematic, another thing is the actual implementation....

When the 1mS FIFO underflow/overflow, which will cause the dam1021 to loose sync.... Until then the FIFO will eat whatever you feed it.

Sorry, but I can't really address those subjective "different" sound statements, especially as plenty of other people get good results....

The RME card is, of course, a lot better than 1ms. RME gear has long been the de facto standard in professional studios for digital I/O. The transformer balanced digital output of the RME card and the transformer balanced DAM1021 input are connected by a 3m cable. There's not much room for things to go wrong here...

As for the implimentation of the input receiver, it is reallly simple and I wired it all point to point. And it is all transformer balanced symmetrical lines, again, not much room for things to go wrong there.

The LED of my DAM1021 syncs and then just stays on.

But since the FIFO is supposed to reclock everything perfectly, it all shouldn't matter as long as the signal arrives intact, which all my test recordings show it does indeed...

But I will try and see if I can move the pulse transformer even closer to the DAM1021 board.

What's the correct way to connect ground and chassis (enclosure) with the DAM1021, especially regarding balanced connections?

In my setup the XLR outputs at the enclosure have pin 2 and 3 wired, but pin 1 (shield) of the outputs is connected to chassis (but not to the DAM audio ground). Same for my own balanced analog output board. All boards are isolated from the chassis ground (literally) they stand on. The AES/EBU input is floating.

So the only chassis connection of the DAM1021 board is through the PSU ground.

Is this the recommended way to do it, or should there be a connection of audio ground directly to the chassis?

I don't have any hum or RF problems.

So the only chassis connection of the DAM1021 board is through the PSU ground.
pin1/shield connected only to the chassis, grounding of the dam1021 through star ground that combines chassis/pin1/signal reference as explained in the article from David Davenport.

Audio Component Grounding and Interconnection

vKy3qvxSJnQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

I made some experiments regarding grounding to chassis, even using fat speaker cables to have ultra low impedance.

The differences in detail/"3D-ness" of the signal are not subtle. Audio ground to pin1 directly to chassis worked better than everything else.

So this another very important area that DIYers may easily overlook.

Bottom line for me is, that the stock board sounds awesome if implimented correctly.

My first attempt was a double mono setup with symmetrical outputs, one dam1021 for each channel. The two clocks made the sound stage very nervous, there was no clear separation of the instruments. My hope was that Soren would integrate the planned master slave mode, but I was disappointed. if someone wants to build something like that, I would do it with dam1121 and an external Master clock to keep all boards in sync.

Wouldn't the soundstage sound "nervous", if the idea of out-of-sync clocks makes you "nervous"? ;)

Last edited: