• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

Thank you Randytsuch

There are few things which i want to consider before the optical receiver is plugged to +5V PWR pin.

One as per this image I see that all logic inputs should be 3.3V https://hifiduino.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/r2rconnect.png

So if we are increasing the output voltage to 5V to the optical receiver then its logic output state voltages will be about 4.1 to 4.5V so can that be fed to the SPDIF input 1/2 pins?

Sorry, can't help you there. I only ever used the i2s inputs. Never tried optical, don't even have the parts to implement.

We had that discussion already somewhere ;)

I don't know about your ears, but in FFT measurements a corrupted sample can trash the whole FFT and that happens with me (with the TOTX147) repeatedly. If I recall correctly it was about every tenth FFT that was affected, thus I would guess something around one glitch in a million samples.

Yes that's from own experience, however not with the DAM.
I did "ordinary audio measurements" with an ADC, which transmitted its data by Toslink to the computer. The FFT of the data looked in the in the mentioned about 1/10 cases strangely distorted. This did not happen when I used as connection Coax-SPDIF or after I replaced the Toslink receiver/transmitter.

DAM1021 with Toshiba TORX1952 I'm having an issue with synchronization with Oppo BDP 205 and also earlier versions. Some times I need to restart the DAC to synchronize. Is there any permanent fix for this? Sometimes it is annoying.

That part is not usable with a dam1021, it's a 5V part and a dam1021 need 3.3V inputs, running it at 3.3V probably lower its performance, and it's already spec'ed for just 6 Mbps.... You could put a 5V to 3.3V converter between it and the dam1021, but it's still a 6 Mbps part...

Why not just get the correct part, t.ex. a Everlight PLR135/T10 is just $2 at Digikey and they have over 6000 pcs in stock....

That part is not usable with a dam1021, it's a 5V part and a dam1021 need 3.3V inputs, running it at 3.3V probably lower its performance, and it's already spec'ed for just 6 Mbps.... You could put a 5V to 3.3V converter between it and the dam1021, but it's still a 6 Mbps part...

Why not just get the correct part, t.ex. a Everlight PLR135/T10 is just $2 at Digikey and they have over 6000 pcs in stock....
But can that do 24bit 192KHz signal the problem is whenever we use SACD from oppo player it doesnt sync.

But can that do 24bit 192KHz signal the problem is whenever we use SACD from oppo player it doesnt sync.

Only with a strong signal. The DLR2160 that zfe recommended is better, but not as easy to get.

I have been using the PLR135/T10 in my DACs, but are also looking for faster ones for my next generation. Recommendations are welcome, but preferable something I can buy in volume in EU or US....

Only with a strong signal. The DLR2160 that zfe recommended is better, but not as easy to get.

I have been using the PLR135/T10 in my DACs, but are also looking for faster ones for my next generation. Recommendations are welcome, but preferable something I can buy in volume in EU or US....

I'm using DLR2180, also 25MBit/s
Works like a charm.

Last edited:

I thought about giving the Broadcom AFBR-2624Z a trial, they are fast enough for even 384kHz :)
However they are pricey and need other connectors (but it should be possible to cut an ordinary Toslink cable and fit the needed connector).

On the other hand if you really want to go up to 384kHz you need to use a transmitter of that series on the other side and thus can use the fitting cables.

This goes back to toslink being outdated and nobody having any incentive to update it, had they were interested in upgrading it they would have went to IR lighting and switched to gigabit MMF optics that are cheaper than dirt right now, they don't even require lasers.

The real answer is the industry wouldn't be able to adapt such a new standard without riddling it with DRM, making it useless for DIY anyway.