• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

I still don’t understand the hassle.

I knew that I wanted to implement a dual mono setup, so I got a pair of dam1121 and enjoy it.

I also made a dual mono setup of two dam1021 fed by I2S and spdif for someone else, and to me this sounds just fine.
It is well known for over two years or sth. that multiple dam1021s can not be synced like the dam1121, but to my knowledge there are not many people who can actually hear that.

If you want to be absolutely sure that the two dams are synced, (I can imagine that it can be noticeable with headphones) then just upgrade to the new and of corse more expensive models.

I like all my dam setups so far very much.

I still don’t understand the hassle.

If you want to be absolutely sure that the two dams are synced, (I can imagine that it can be noticeable with headphones) then just upgrade to the new and of corse more expensive models.

Let me explain the issue:

When the 1021 first came out, it was advertised as a "reference quality dac" (look no further than the title of this very thread). When the use of the 1021 in a multichannel setup was discussed, it was never mentioned initially that the boards would have synch issues. Just like the Vref issues, this didn't come out until later, after the product was launched and people purchased the product. Remember, as well, that a comprehensive owner's manual/instructions/build guide wasn't released concurrently with the product, that we were told it would be forthcoming. All info for multiboard use was promised to be included in the forthcoming guide. I don't recall any mention from the seller at any point mentioning any potential synch issues.

I specifically purchased 4 units as I intended to use them in an active 4 way system. I have always understood the term "reference" to mean "state of the art" with performance among the absolute best available. We know now that this was not the case with the v1 1021. Once it landed and people started testing it, we found out there were shortcomings. Is it a bad dac? No. Was it really "reference quality"? No. Proper synching should not be an issue in a dac advertised as "reference quality".

I would welcome any input or feedback from ANYONE who has actually attempted to use the V1 1021 in a multichannel set up. To date, I haven't heard or read of a single person who has done so. Perhaps if we get feedback we can put the issue to bed, one way or another.

I would be happy to upgrade to the latest model but wonder why I need to incur a substantial financial loss to obtain what was originally advertised. Unless of course you are buying?

Last edited:
The topic is being discussed here by the designer, thus, this would seem to be a proper location for my post.

While it may be unimportant to you, you are hardly the arbiter of what is and isn't important for others. I suggest you skip it if it annoys you.

I am happy you find it to be a reference dac. Clearly, there are users with varying standards and different definitions. You are entitled to your opinion, as are others to theirs.

I understand your annoyance. You know what I find annoying? Buying a product advertised as a "reference" dac, only to find out afterwards that it was a beta release.

No, you and ynmichael brough it back. You have been reported to the moderators.

Last edited:
Ok, a new firmware for the dam1021, now rev 1.21.
I have reworked the whole clocking, so hopefully the clicks are gone...
People who had problems with clicks, please try it and report back asap.

If it works fine, I will continue the work with firmware for the other boards since I'm in firmware mode....

There is a link to it on the download page on soekris.dk, or use this direct link:
http://www.soekris.dk/download/dam1021/1021full_121.skr

@Soren,

Thanks for the new firmware.

I noted a problem with only DSD playback with 1.19+4K filters on a dual-mono DAM1021, having to revert back to 1.06.

Have you perhaps been able to simulate it?

Does 1.21 attempt to address it?

Last edited:
Hi, didn't you used to prefer the AK4495? Has the Dam now surpassed it?
Yes I have moved on and also from audial TDA1541a, ak4495 is still one of my favourite's because of the simplicity, my AK4495 has low output volume because its direct out without op amps, and the TDA is also great but treble roll off is audible. But Soekris 1021 is king, treble is clear and sounds like true hi fi in comparison, it doesn't loose its clarity with complicated music, everything has tone now, for me I have been trying to find a dac solution for the last 12years I and now personally have found it with Soekris 1021.

I did vref mods and use ultra low noise regs from DIYinHK and am using direct out, at first I thought the dam sounded very forward and tended to shout but over time it has tamed and sounds to be just more dynamic. I don't know how much more one can improve on sound at this price range, its perfect for me.