• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

It's easy to replace the faulty isolator(s), as long as you have a hot air rework station.

I did such a repair on a friend's DAM a while back: Soekris R-2R: Damaged isolator fix | Dimdim's Blog

He had damaged his isolators by feeding them 12V instead of (up to) 5V.

Your s/pdif inputs should be working fine, btw.

thanks man. this is great information and I loved reading about how its done but it is beyond my abilities. i cant even figure out how i might have killed these chips in the 1st place as i only connected the reflektor-d which outputs exactly 3.3 but since soren says that the boards are tested, this is the only possiblity. anyway i will either send it for repair or buy the Audiozen kit to use with sdif or both probably.

Last edited:
The Dam1021 is not set up to accept a master clock input. It reclocks all the input signals. A USB to I2S converter usually has a clock on it and most can output a Master clock signal, but the Dam1021 doesn't do anything with the signal (there is not a place to connect it).

Yeah I totally get this part. but what I am seeing here looks like a software limitation, I'd appreciate a technical explanation as to why it isn't possible. The FIFO explanation doesn't make a whole lot of sense when that buffer will stay constant if given the same clock from the data source.

It is a software limitation. On the Dam1121 you can have a master clock, but you are limited to a single oscillator. Some people have fed a clocked signal to the Dam1021 and reported an improvement, it would be better if a masterclock signal can be fed to the DAM1021. That is up to Soren. He mentioned that he could do it for the Dam1121, but he has not yet done it.

is it possible to use the spdif input if i buy the az lite board that audiozen sells?

/////////////

i do not want to mess with smd parts since i know i will ruin them so i i will send it to you for repair.

Please email info@soekris.dk for instructions.

I mean using the az lie board and is did it in the current condition without repair?

Probably.

the gound which goes from Amanero to Dam1021 can it be connected to iso ground instead of ground? what are the pros and cons of doing it that way.

If you have connected the I2S coming from the Amanero to the isolated I2S input, you must connect the Amanero's GND to the ISO GND. Otherwise you will definitely lose the benefit of the isolators and most likely have a problematic I2S connection.

So, no pros and cons. Just right and wrong.

Ok, so last week I finally got a message from Mouser; it is 6-8 weeks delivery time for the Silabs SI570 clock:(

Silly question:does anyone here have such a thing in the drawer? Who knows….

To Soeren: As there are some SI514 in stock, could you tell me the exact type? Maybe I am lucky and it is the one in stock. Really don't want to wait that long...

Hi i was trying to update my soekris v2 with lattest 1.19 firmware and filters. First i have trying on tera term, i have an connection but when try to update i was not seen loading meter, so trying on puffy, upade sukcesfully Then exit, restart, yes i have an New firmware,so exit but This Time no rensponse from puffy. So i disconeted puffy and restart Again my dam and sól The Time Led is blinking it dont see i2s source. What now? it was my First Time with updateing. Thanks

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I would now like to make some speaker EQ and, if possible, phase compensation for a pair of line source speakers I have built. Looking back in the thread I did have this question a long time ago:

"As crossover: the dam1021/dam1121 have the hardware with support for up to 15 IIR biquad filters per board. How to do it is an advanced DIY project, not something I will provide support for. Probably much easier using a DSP....

Is all the information/prerequisites described in the manual to really pull this off?"

I mean; I don't request a guide, just want to know Sören, if all the prerequisites is in the manual to do this. So I don't start this investigation and project in wain.

Some of this compensation I would like to do as as IIR, some as FIR... for FIR I suppose I just "modify" the existing filters to also do passband processing in addition to the D/A conversion brick-wall filter.

If anyone know of such a project, please add a pointer - thanks!!

//

Last edited: