• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

I got a PL2303 USB-RS232 serial module from here Prolific . Trying on my Windows 10 I encountered driver issues with "Code 10". Looking into the net this is because of some driver issues so downloaded the Prolific driver fix and was able to get the Port settings as 115200 baudrate (even tried with default 9600 and 19200) done.

But now after setting it up with the proper RxD, TxD, GnD connections using small 10cm jumper cables and using ExtraPutty I am unable to see anything happening in the session. I even tried TeraTerm its the same issue. After setting up the ExtraPutty with the exact matching port settings as in the device manager nothing is showing up in the terminal window. I am using USB 3.0 socket on my small fanless Gigabyte PC. Also after switching on the DAC I see that the blinking stops within few seconds, so I am presuming its recognizing the serial ports. I have the Normuuds input boards mounted on the DAC which does not effect these connections if its helps out in resolving my query.

Thanks

Edit: I just tried with the USB 2.0 port as well but its the same the locking LED on the DAC stops blinking and I see that the cursor in the TeraTerm session stops blinking but nothing is happening.

Last edited:
I got a PL2303 USB-RS232 serial module from here Prolific . Trying on my Windows 10 I encountered driver issues with "Code 10". Looking into the net this is because of some driver issues so downloaded the Prolific driver fix and was able to get the Port settings as 115200 baudrate (even tried with default 9600 and 19200) done.

But now after setting it up with the proper RxD, TxD, GnD connections using small 10cm jumper cables and using ExtraPutty I am unable to see anything happening in the session. I even tried TeraTerm its the same issue. After setting up the ExtraPutty with the exact matching port settings as in the device manager nothing is showing up in the terminal window. I am using USB 3.0 socket on my small fanless Gigabyte PC. Also after switching on the DAC I see that the blinking stops within few seconds, so I am presuming its recognizing the serial ports. I have the Normuuds input boards mounted on the DAC which does not effect these connections if its helps out in resolving my query.

Thanks

Edit: I just tried with the USB 2.0 port as well but its the same the locking LED on the DAC stops blinking and I see that the cursor in the TeraTerm session stops blinking but nothing is happening.

If you look at my blog
soekris setup

It shows what you should see on the terminal window, when you turn on the DAC if the serial port is working right.

If you have the right driver, and setup is correct, I would suspect your serial port converter is not compatible with this DAC.

Randy

If you look at my blog
soekris setup

It shows what you should see on the terminal window, when you turn on the DAC if the serial port is working right.

If you have the right driver, and setup is correct, I would suspect your serial port converter is not compatible with this DAC.

Randy

Thanks Randy, yes I looked at your blog and HiFiduino as well. This is the second serial adapter that I have brought for this firmware update. Reading about various people updating the firmware using the PL2303 I went ahead and brought a new one but looks like it does not work. I am now trying on my Mac but unable to get the driver loaded. The Mac detects the USB-Serial hardware but no driver I think is getting assigned and hence unable to create port settings.

Thanks

What serial port on the dam1021 are you using ? Please note that J10 is a real serial port with RS-232 level signaling, while the isolated one on J3 are using CMOS level signaling. The USB to Serial Port adapter need to match, the one you're using is a CMOS one and need to use the pins on J3, J3 also need power to work.

What serial port on the dam1021 are you using ? Please note that J10 is a real serial port with RS-232 level signaling, while the isolated one on J3 are using CMOS level signaling. The USB to Serial Port adapter need to match, the one you're using is a CMOS one and need to use the pins on J3, J3 also need power to work.

Hmm if the one I am using is a CMOS one then I am using the J10 as the J3 is being used by the input board. Then I need to use the real serial port with RS-232 with J10. Any specific ones you recommend as the PL2303 which I am using is the one some of the people have used successfully but I was not aware that they were using the J3 instead of the J10.

Thanks

Just to be sure you did crossover RX and TX? Hardware flow control is off?

A previous version of the PL2303 driver may help to eliminate code 10 error.

The before mentioned Serial for Mac OSX is driverless and is free for 7 days

If a driver is installed it will warn you but you can also remove the kext/driver

Serial - Modern Terminal for the Mac - Decisive Tactics, Inc.

If you have not set comspeed start with 115 200 baud.

If a driver is installed it will warn you but you can also remove the kext/driver

Thanks, as Soren explained earlier its the problem with this PL2303 adapter that I am using with J10 as its meant to be for J3 which I did not want to try with the input board already mounted. So the USB-to-Serial PL2303 is now working fine on Win10 but with it connected to the J10 nothing happens on the ExtraPutty or TeraTerm terminal sessions. So I am looking at any old PC with this connection or get the "Aten USB-to-Serial Converter UC 232" which randytsuch suggested to work with J10.

@Soren, then the Prolific PL2303 that I have also has +5V pin which I can connect to the J3 and then run the firmware update right? What about the 3V3 pin on this PL2303 adapter, does it need to be used? I will try to remove the input board and use the J3 instead of getting another true RS232 serial port converter or adapter.

Thanks

Well, in 2018 I would not call 115200 baud high speed anymore, but I understand what you mean... :D

Great that you solved your problem though! I would advise to try other serial convertors as serial connections should not easily become critical. Many years ago I made a serial connection with my neighbor to play DOS games against each other (a cable in the air passing through windows). The connection was tens of meters without any issues.

Fedde

Yes, agreed re 115200. I’ve had no trouble with the Keyspan USB-to-serial at 115200 up to this point. And I also own a Hawking converter and tried another no-name converter borrowed from a friend. I’ve built (for myself and friends) around a dozen DAMs, 1021 and 1121s, in single-ended and dual mono and the serial chain I described has worked flawlesssly on the 1021’s RS232 pins to date. Hence I wondered if it was a beta firmware issue. I will no doubt be updating several more and I’ll certainly try the default 115200 and see how it goes. The Keyspan model I use is the only one I’ve used that has always worked on any and every RS232 connection - not just the 1021s - I use for work as well.

Interesting thing is that, at 115200, it connects instantly and appears to download the new file perfectly - even saying ‘Downloaded and Programmed’ with the correct byte count reported. It’s only when the ‘Update’ command is typed that the process fails with the ‘Incorrect Image’ error. Guess the downloaded image is somehow incomplete or corrupted at 115200 on my connection.

As a final thought, the 19200 baudrate seems more reliable than the 115200. I used to get an Invalid Command after, for example, typing the ? to see the help menu. Had to reboot the DAM in order to issue the next command. At the lower baud rate this does not happen. Again, all this is using my serial setup.

Last edited:

I used this Serial for Mac OSX from the above link that you posted for 7 days free trial. Now when I connect my old USB-to-RS232 serial adapter it shows up as a serial port on the application. Connecting the DAC wiring on J10 as per the setup and opening the terminal with 115200 baud rate nothing happens. The cursor just blinks and the locking LED on the DAC board keeps blinking. Not sure what do you mean by "You did Crossover RX and TX? Hardware flow control is off? I have connected the wiring of RXD as per this picture:

r2rrs232.jpg

@Soekris

does the dam1021 with 1.19 FW and 1.20 filters support native DSD with max DSD256?
I saw an entry in the filters with dsd256 and flashed my amanero card with fw 1099c (native DSD support). I have to swap the channels with the amanero fw tool but when I now use daphile with native dsd setting for the player I'm able to play a dsd256 file.

I have the SK OLED board and the display says dsd 256.

Please give us a light :)

@Soekris

does the dam1021 with 1.19 FW and 1.20 filters support native DSD with max DSD256?
I saw an entry in the filters with dsd256 and flashed my amanero card with fw 1099c (native DSD support). I have to swap the channels with the amanero fw tool but when I now use daphile with native dsd setting for the player I'm able to play a dsd256 file.

I have the SK OLED board and the display says dsd 256.

Please give us a light :)

No changes to DSD, 1.19/1.20 support DSD256 just like earlier firmware.

@Soren, then the Prolific PL2303 that I have also has +5V pin which I can connect to the J3 and then run the firmware update right? What about the 3V3 pin on this PL2303 adapter, does it need to be used? I will try to remove the input board and use the J3 instead of getting another true RS232 serial port converter or adapter.

Thanks

dam1021 specs say 3.3V....

I found a old PC with a real serial port. So used jumper cables and connected as per the above pic. Now on the TeraTerm serial port session I could get the DAM show up with the version 0.99 and typed download and used the file transfer -> xmodem -> chose the .skr file and the upload started without showing any progress for sometime and the window disappeared and its back to the terminal window. It was showing as "Start sending file using XMODEM/CRC protocol" and nothing happened. I typed update and it showed up updated successfully but the firmware version was still the old one 0.99. So I closed the terminal and power cycled the DAC (means I switched off completely waited for sometime and powered it back) now with the TeraTerm session opened. Now when the DAC starts I see some jargons (no readable) letters on the window and nothing happens or show up.

Not sure what happened to the DAC or the firmware didn't get updated and the DAC led just blinks as no inputs are connected to the DAC. Did I brick the DAC :(