• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

Yes, I exactly thinked about this separate wire. Some are selling it at a ridiculous high price like IFI (from AMR ?) but raw usb plugs are easy to source nowadays !

I have a non heavily (non)moded Synology NAS ! :confused: very embarassed between choosing the Synology with its usb through an Amareno and stay with a 24/44 SB Duet through its spidf... well I have some 96 Khz and more but few, so it's more a choice on how each protocol is managed by the DAC itself ! does the internal spidf to I2S maid by the DAC could be as good than receiving I2S already ?

Soren, please, have you tried both with your DIYinkh & Amareno but tried also a good SPIDF streamer ? No difference heard by you with your headphones ? Same Same but different ? I bet an answer : as jitter + isolator, this is the same ? bu the extra operation to convert inside spidf to I2S !

Amareno is an extra 70 euros + eventually more if external voltage PS is choosed over USB voltage !

I have the same wonder, hope any people already put dam to action will have some review...

Pop happen when blinking green led stop blinking (synced?). This is not always - I have experienced smooth start of songs also.

This reminds me sudden amplitude offset caused by DSP filter, if the filter isn't always on but engaged after a certain event (clock lock?). If this is the case, fading in or out the amplitude within DSP filter would help.

TNT, does this happen during mid song changes only? Or during some silent (end of song -> beginning of next song) changes as well?

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Pop happen when blinking green led stop blinking (synced?). This is not always - I have experienced smooth start of songs also.

//

I didn't have that problems here when changing sample rates, but I'm also using a DIYINHK USB interface.

But I'm also kinda not done working on my mute circuit, had compiler problems....

So expect a firmware update soon.

Hi! Nice product you've got going here. I've got four boards arriving early next week. May I ask what's the reason for the narrow AC power requirement of 7-8V? Most transformers are either 6V og 9V, which is kind of inconvenient.

And also, you said that you didn't recommend running NOS due to the dirty measurements. Have you tried it without oversampling at 384kHz?

Jørgen

Hello Jorgen,

I opened a thread in the digital section which answer to this question ! With reference for some traffos for a direct AC ! But it can be fed in DC with a higher voltage : all is explained in this thread or above (more than -+ 15 V peaks : the DAC will be fried !)

@ TNT or Soren : does the isolator needs an external 3.3V for all the entries ? Idem for spidf ? Bypassed if not feeded by voltage or dead silence ?

Heve you been trying also anythingelse than I2S ? Does it pop as well ?

sounds really relaxed, present and musical playing over my AckoDac AKD12, Ian FIFO, dual klock board, selected NKD wissler.straigth into a pair of nCore 400/SMPS600 and a pair prototype speakers.
//

Usually I couldn't care less for what people think about the sound of a device but your setup looks like something that has been well optimized and I have pretty good experience with almost the exact set of boards so your "positive" is something good, if you are not immediately disappointed that makes me happy.

The board I am getting will be a test setup for a friend and the plan is to test a bunch of stuff on the output so it will probably sound quite different in the end but if you are not finding something generally wrong the DAC that is quite promising, the acko DAC is one really sophisticated attempt at taming the ESS chip.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
If you look at the drawing Sören provided of the board, there is a box surrounding the inputs/outputs that is "isolated". None of these are used for galvanic or opto s/pdif.

- Galvanic s/pdif (shoild) use a transformer which is passive alas, no power needed.
- Opto requires a receiver module which is active and needs power - however as the glassfibre cable isolates the dad for outside, no isolation on-board is needed and this, the device can be seen to belong to the core DAC itself (the isolated part) so power should be taken from S2 but from pins outside the ISO box as these provide power (the ISO power must be fed power)

I only have USB possibilities.
//

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Just letting you know that I have began work on adapting my TFT HiFiDuino Arduino code to control the Soekris DAC. I do not have my board yet (I am expecting it this Friday) so for the moment I am just getting the basics right.

I am using an Arduino DUE with a 3.2" TFT screen. I will be interfacing to the DAC through the Serial3 port of the DUE. So far I have implemented just the volume functionality, since it is the only thing Soren has hinted to ("volume will t.ex. be "V-30" to set the volume to -30 db") but serial is easy, so it will take very little time for me (or anyone for that matter) to implement the rest of the functionality.

Of course it is fully IR remote controlled, has input memories, etc etc (all the goodies that TFT HiFiDuino has).

Here is a teaser:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_8788_resize.JPG
    IMG_8788_resize.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 2,588
  • IMG_8789_resize.JPG
    IMG_8789_resize.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 2,562
  • Soekris_term_1.png
    Soekris_term_1.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,544
Hi guys,

Just letting you know that I have began work on adapting my TFT HiFiDuino Arduino code to control the Soekris DAC. I do not have my board yet (I am expecting it this Friday) so for the moment I am just getting the basics right.

I am using an Arduino DUE with a 3.2" TFT screen. I will be interfacing to the DAC through the Serial3 port of the DUE. So far I have implemented just the volume functionality, since it is the only thing Soren has hinted to ("volume will t.ex. be "V-30" to set the volume to -30 db") but serial is easy, so it will take very little time for me (or anyone for that matter) to implement the rest of the functionality.

Of course it is fully IR remote controlled, has input memories, etc etc (all the goodies that TFT HiFiDuino has).

Here is a teaser:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Wow amazing.....
I am planing to control both sdtrans384 and dac over arduino mini pro with apple remote.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
@TNT:

Originally Posted by rredline View Post
Does it related to this (from Amanero datasheet)?
Thanks - looks interesting. How does one manipulate this settings?

Hi TNT,

It can be set up in the software configuring the Amanero (config tools - I use vers. 1.16 but there are newer).

There's an output that can either be used to indicate 24.576 MHz clock or Mute condition (see attachment). Since there's another output that can be used to indicate 22.579 MHz the first one may be used for mute.

BTW: In my experience the Amanero is prone to clicks & pops when changing either sample rate or tracks - mostly so in foobar and less so in JRiver (although it's still there to some extent). I'd like to note though that I haven't tried using this mute option so could be that this changes it - which would be very attractive actually ...
Best regards,

Jesper

Attachments

• amanero.jpg
    amanero.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 315