Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz
Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 23rd January 2019, 03:06 AM   #8301
wushuliu is offline wushuliu  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
Yes I felt so in the sense that I got the feeling of listening to the master "tape" with the 1121. But my 1021 is not tricked out - I did the low res mod / 1800uF if my memory serves me right - I don't have the unit here. I maintain 2 system in different location - quite different but I enjoy them both really. When I'm at one, I long for the other - and vv.

//
ok. that's helpful. thanks.

Old 23rd January 2019, 08:09 AM   #8302
ynmichael is offline ynmichael
diyAudio Member

Quote:
ynmichael - would you care to state 5 out of your reference tracks that You use for evaluation?

Tidal?

//
CD rip or Hi-res download... general observations I made hold for all tracks tested on

Old 23rd January 2019, 11:04 AM   #8303
TNT is online now TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

So you don't use a few reference tracks that you always revisit after some changes?

//

Old 23rd January 2019, 03:08 PM   #8304
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So you don't use a few reference tracks that you always revisit after some changes?

//
There are a few, but the only change Iíve made is vref, which clearly does only good. So not much relevant

Old 23rd January 2019, 03:09 PM   #8305
TNT is online now TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I would like to listen to what you use for evaluation. I'm curious.

//

Old 24th January 2019, 12:06 AM   #8306
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I would like to listen to what you use for evaluation. I'm curious.

//
Sorry I didn't quite understand why you were asking it at first and I'm not checking my messages as much as before. Literally any decent track works, the better mastered the more obvious the change I'd say. I still need to find a time to have my friend come over and do some ABX tests to be sure. That's all I can say really, hope it helps!

Old 24th January 2019, 12:11 AM   #8307
Peterma is offline Peterma  Australia
diyAudio Member

If the 1121 is better than the 1021 why wouldn't people just buy it instead?

Old 24th January 2019, 12:22 AM   #8308
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterma View Post
If the 1121 is better than the 1021 why wouldn't people just buy it instead?
Because:
(1) Soren claims they're the same, only 1021 is better for DIY. On the latter point I agree with him, it's much easier to ruin 1121 since the board is thinner and generally more miniaturized/fragile. But to claim that the technically superior 1121 sounds the same? Well ABX is almost a must perhaps. You can be the judge of that...
(2) 1021 is cheaper
(3) 1021 came out much earlier and as such has a much much larger user base and support community

(4) 1121 needs separate power supplies which is great but might discourage some people

(5) 1021 has onboard buffered outputs. To be honest now that I think about it, 1021 is the best choice for me since I use headphones. I don't think the onboard opamps will distort the sound that audibly. Maybe it lacks the sweet colorations of "hi-end" amps. But I'm not sure if I should care. So I don't care. 1021 is basically an all-in-one solution for me.

Old 24th January 2019, 01:22 AM   #8309
diyAudio Member

@TNT I didn't want to waste time doing more audiophile tests that can't get me much closer to a statement supported by statistics, but looking back you really did quite a bit to keep us sane... It seemed you're interested so I went ahead and did some comparisons on what I was listening to.

Both tracks are dvorak op. 104 1st mvt. I was listening to the Fourier/BPO version 16/44, you can probably get it as a digital download at a very modest price if you don't have it already. At 6:59 the flutes enter and there's a crescendo from there to around 7:15 where you get some nice dynamics. The flutes sound a bit more natural and frankly just quite a bit deeper in the stage on BAL than SE. And as more instruments enter the expansion of soundstage on BAL just went further than SE.

Now, on the Rostropovich/BPO 24/192 version, flutes and cello sound a bit more muted in the same section, so I went straight to the cello solo at 10:40. On SE, the soundstage felt cut off right at my ears, but the BAL naturally extends much further. I went back and forth between the two outputs, and tried to imagine SE with a larger soundstage and BAL with a smaller one, which has worked well in the past to disillusion myself. Only this time there was no way I could convince myself that SE sounds nearly as open as BAL.

Used HD650, -22db with BAL and -16db with SE. They sounded about the same loudness, but I don't quite believe volume changes things in this case. Both are buffered outputs onboard. SE with 10R 2V output and BAL 20R 4V.

This nicely confirmed all of my past experiences with BAL vs SE outputs on my system. The conclusion isn't definite, however, as I would need a proper ABX test to claim that. It could be that my system is noisy and the balanced output helped a lot there? Can't hear any noise at max volume on a silent track though. I'm guessing you're deciding whether to put back your dual-mono... Just do an ABX and if there isn't a difference no point in wasting a second board on the system. I'm a little shocked by the improvement now that I've been listening to SE for a while. The soundstage is almost the same as my laptop output, though other SQ gains match BAL much more closely with a quick listen. The BAL improvement in soundstage is not something you could forget even long after an AB test...

Could it be because I connected SE to the negative buffered outputs of the inverted (left) channels to keep SE and BAL independent? Could the inverted output be inferior somehow? I don't believe it. And my experiences with SE before I moved the SE connection to the inverted channels agree with what I'm hearing now, which is not bad news in my opinion. I've never listened to the BAL on a single board, but if someone claimed that HD650 balanced has a characteristically large soundstage, I would believe him and just attribute the improvement to that. Hope my excursion into audiophilia again satisfies you

Old 24th January 2019, 02:10 AM   #8310
diyAudio Member

Could also just be very bad crosstalk. I used a 20cm triple core (shielded) wire for connecting SE output to the front panel. Tested a simulated crosstalk audio file online and it has a somewhat similar effect.

Tried outputting high levels in one channel. No sound in the other as far as I can tell. But the effect sounds kind of like a -20db crosstalk... anyways I might measure it this weekend.

Last edited by ynmichael; 24th January 2019 at 02:22 AM.

Closed Thread

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KhzHide this!Advertise here!