Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 20th January 2019, 09:44 PM   #8251
ynmichael is offline ynmichael
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
This is so true. And should be your first order of business. ATM you are trying to cure hardware harshness with software.
Why would there be harshness in opamps?... I'm expecting less clarity than what is possible though

You really need to just go try it. This approach is groundbreaking. I give you my word

And most importantly, you need to first explain why an absolutely more accurate upsampling would degrade the sound in a way to mask problems "caused by opamp...". Let's not do this again....

Last edited by ynmichael; 20th January 2019 at 09:52 PM.

Old 20th January 2019, 10:05 PM   #8252
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_66 View Post
But his latest SendToHQP v1.04 script is later: 20 oct 2016
This is also the solution that he uses according to this post.
Ummm... I had no idea how it would work in practice after I read the manual (though I was sure I could follow the steps and click the buttons...), so I watched the video. Are you sure it's more convenient....? I admit it's a great way to get DSD files to play properly though, not that I have any in my library...

Edit: It's easier than the video made it seem. You'd select tracks in foobar2000 and then one-click a shortcut to a batch command file and it puts everything in HQPlayer playlist for you. Only drawback is you'd still have to interact with the HQPlayer GUI (sorry Signalyst...). With the UPnP solution, unless you change sampling rate, it's set and forget. You can control everything, including track seek, inside foobar2000 and just leave HQPlayer running. When you have to change sampling rate, you ctrl+p in foobar, toggle one dropdown option, go to HQPlayer to hit play again because it automatically stopped upon sampling rate change, then everything is ready for you in foobar2000...

Last edited by ynmichael; 20th January 2019 at 10:17 PM.

Old 20th January 2019, 10:11 PM   #8253
danny_66 is offline danny_66  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynmichael View Post
Btw, your speakers look awesome! Must've taken a ton of efforts. Great work!

I do have 32GB ram on my laptop so even if I must use RAM disk it should still work...
Thanks, I'm finishing version 2 of my speakers, 99% done

32GB is plenty! That won't be a problem for setting up a RAM disk.

I thought it should be more convenient and that it eliminates the problem of manually switching the sample rate in upnp

Last edited by danny_66; 20th January 2019 at 10:14 PM.

Old 20th January 2019, 10:17 PM   #8254
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks, I'm finishing version 2 of my speakers, 99% done

32GB is plenty! That won't be a problem for setting up a RAM disk.
Nice! Check my edit in the last post. I'll stick with UPnP solution since I don't need DSD playback... Also conversion would be less real-time. I'm keeping the manual in case I decide to use it at some point though.

Is there a way that you could make your speaker design into a kit? Or is it generally too difficult in diy?...

Old 20th January 2019, 10:30 PM   #8255
danny_66 is offline danny_66  Belgium
diyAudio Member

I don't see myself making a kit of my speakers, way too much work.
There's a lot of woodwork to do, I won't count the hours that I've put in it
In a new thread I'll share the crossover, the cabinet dimensions and construction.

OK, upnp is then the most seamless one.

Last edited by danny_66; 20th January 2019 at 10:44 PM.

Old 20th January 2019, 11:03 PM   #8256
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I don't see myself making a kit of my speakers, way too much work.
There's a lot of woodwork to do, I won't count the hours that I've put in it
In a new thread I'll share the crossover, the cabinet dimensions and construction.

OK, upnp is then the most seamless one.
That's fair. At this point it's more than just a pair of speaker and a hobby... Plus it's a huge cost saving, whereas in our case I would advise ppl to carefully consider the option of just getting a dac1541...

I hate to say this but TNT might've been right again. I still believe that HQPlayer is much better than SoX, but it seems closed-form-m (with 16 million taps... though not warmly recommended by the author) is even less harsh sounding. I was listening to Julliard quartet's Mendelssohn string quartet no.2 and poly-sinc-xtr causes a bit of headache with strings on the very high notes, and there were a lot of high notes.

Btw, very good news. It must've been a glitch last night with foobar, maybe I was using the wrong sampling rate over UPnP which forced sampling rate conversion on the fly in FB2K. The CPU usage now in FB2k is about 0.2% with 44.1Khz (slightly more with higher sampling rates). So no huge computation overhead with this method! Also note that my CPU clock is still quite low @1.8~2.3Ghz so really nothing to worry about at all. The cooling fans haven't even been triggered...

Last edited by ynmichael; 20th January 2019 at 11:16 PM.

Old 21st January 2019, 12:00 AM   #8257
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

You only listen via headphones - right? (just curious...)

//

Old 21st January 2019, 12:11 AM   #8258
PKI is offline PKI  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That's Dimdim's mod for earlier revs. If you have rev.3+ there should be vias in the middle of the board which would make things easier. If you haven't made the purchase, consider dam1121 1921/1941

Btw, I have 3*1500uF UCC caps per rail (don't get UCC though you'd have to trim/thin 48 leads by hand...) and if only you can hear the dynamics right now... I don't know enough about opera but Pavarotti has never sounded better. Pretty much perfect. And I'm never biased.

These?
IMG_0212.jpg

Would you mind sharing a link for those 0.68mm leads Nichicon?

I already have the dac. So yuh are saying 19x1 doesn’t require any mods to add more caps?

Old 21st January 2019, 01:55 AM   #8259
living sounds is offline living sounds  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Good points. Not sure if it matters how imperfect the mastering are...
Seriously? Do you think you can perfect your DAC in a way the imperfections present in the soundfile go away? You can only control the final piece in a very long chain.

So again, on the recording / mixing / mastering side of things there were ADC and DACs involved with significantly less processing power and a need for realtime performance, so you can bet their filters don't use a million taps. Yet many suceed in sounding great. Not all of them, but for more reasons than the filters....

I've got 12 bit studio samplers from the 80s that sound really nice... It can surely be done in an FPGA in real time.

Quote:

This might be a motivation for Soren to release his ADC design as a product...something that doesn’t require the far from perfect SD processing
I would buy a SAR chip based ADC designed by Soeren. It could be a game changer.

Quote:

Edit: can you try HQPlayer in 192k/96k with 48khz files? I think it would make a very audible difference... the improvement is what justifies the investment in a more complex implementation, right
I'll look into that.

Old 21st January 2019, 02:23 AM   #8260
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
These?
Attachment 730511

Would you mind sharing a link for those 0.68mm leads Nichicon?

I already have the dac. So yuh are saying 19x1 doesn’t require any mods to add more caps?
Easy questions first... PLG0J182MDO1 Nichicon | Capacitors | DigiKey Double check the lead diameters before purchase... Buy this only if you can't source really cheap 1500uF capacitors. I got 30 1500uF UCC caps that measured +4~7% its rated capacitance and good ESR for much less than $10. Not from Digikey though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
Seriously? Do you think you can perfect your DAC in a way the imperfections present in the soundfile go away? You can only control the final piece in a very long chain.

So again, on the recording / mixing / mastering side of things there were ADC and DACs involved with significantly less processing power and a need for realtime performance, so you can bet their filters don't use a million taps. Yet many suceed in sounding great. Not all of them, but for more reasons than the filters....

I've got 12 bit studio samplers from the 80s that sound really nice... It can surely be done in an FPGA in real time.

Is it true that a larger error will always mask a smaller error? And is it really something to argue against when correcting for the smaller error costs very little?... Now whether the result is audible, that's a much longer answer.

I have no idea what's causing the harshness in the dac. No idea at all. I was just trying filters....

Closed Thread

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KhzHide this!Advertise here!