Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2019, 07:27 PM   #8161
euro21 is online now euro21  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynmichael View Post
The giant power supply circuits in HoloAudio seems distasteful - does it really matter?
Paralleling many equal capacitors increase capacitance and decrease ESR ("faster" sound).
If cumulated ESL is enough small, worth it.
But no free lunch, charging current rising dramatically.

Last edited by euro21; 20th January 2019 at 07:30 PM.
Old 20th January 2019, 11:11 PM   #8162
PKI is offline PKI  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That's Dimdim's mod for earlier revs. If you have rev.3+ there should be vias in the middle of the board which would make things easier. If you haven't made the purchase, consider dam1121 1921/1941

Btw, I have 3*1500uF UCC caps per rail (don't get UCC though you'd have to trim/thin 48 leads by hand...) and if only you can hear the dynamics right now... I don't know enough about opera but Pavarotti has never sounded better. Pretty much perfect. And I'm never biased.

These?
IMG_0212.jpg

Would you mind sharing a link for those 0.68mm leads Nichicon?

I already have the dac. So yuh are saying 19x1 doesn’t require any mods to add more caps?
Old 21st January 2019, 01:23 AM   #8163
ynmichael is offline ynmichael
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
These?
Attachment 730511

Would you mind sharing a link for those 0.68mm leads Nichicon?

I already have the dac. So yuh are saying 19x1 doesn’t require any mods to add more caps?
Easy questions first... PLG0J182MDO1 Nichicon | Capacitors | DigiKey Double check the lead diameters before purchase... Buy this only if you can't source really cheap 1500uF capacitors. I got 30 1500uF UCC caps that measured +4~7% its rated capacitance and good ESR for much less than $10. Not from Digikey though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
Seriously? Do you think you can perfect your DAC in a way the imperfections present in the soundfile go away? You can only control the final piece in a very long chain.

So again, on the recording / mixing / mastering side of things there were ADC and DACs involved with significantly less processing power and a need for realtime performance, so you can bet their filters don't use a million taps. Yet many suceed in sounding great. Not all of them, but for more reasons than the filters....

I've got 12 bit studio samplers from the 80s that sound really nice... It can surely be done in an FPGA in real time.

Is it true that a larger error will always mask a smaller error? And is it really something to argue against when correcting for the smaller error costs very little?... Now whether the result is audible, that's a much longer answer.

I have no idea what's causing the harshness in the dac. No idea at all. I was just trying filters....
Old 21st January 2019, 07:22 PM   #8164
fedde is offline fedde  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Easy questions first... PLG0J182MDO1 Nichicon | Capacitors | DigiKey Double check the lead diameters before purchase... Buy this only if you can't source really cheap 1500uF capacitors. I got 30 1500uF UCC caps that measured +4~7% its rated capacitance and good ESR for much less than $10. Not from Digikey though.
Yes, the part you showed has 0.6mm leads. Lead spacing is 5 mm. Does that fit the holes of rev4&5?

Would this FC cap work for vref as well?
Panasonic EEU-FC0J152 Elektrolytische condensator Radiaal bedraad 5 mm 1500 mF 6.3 V 20 % (O) 10 mm 1 stuks | Conrad.nl

Fedde
Old 22nd January 2019, 05:04 AM   #8165
wushuliu is offline wushuliu  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That's Dimdim's mod for earlier revs. If you have rev.3+ there should be vias in the middle of the board which would make things easier. If you haven't made the purchase, consider dam1121 1921/1941
How do you do the caps mod for the 1121? I don't see any vias on that board...
Old 22nd January 2019, 05:27 AM   #8166
ynmichael is offline ynmichael
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
Thought I should still chime in on this...

Ask TNT or Jogi... I think you might just have to parallel it on the ceramics. My honest opinion is that before I did the vref mod, the bass sounded very thin compared to my (!) laptop output. It was punchy, but something was wrong. Now it's all proper. Of course the dam1021 is more real sounding and detailed in the bass, still punchy with the 1.19 linear filter - which was what I had before the vref mod too.

I would also consider the vref caps as part of Soren's design, though he would obviously deny that. 1941 has 800uF+1000uF per rail at least. 1541 has 1000uF. Note that this "technical reason", which is totally valid by the way (check the measurements posted earlier or on hifidruino), will skew your perception before and after the vref mod since you can't do ABX. I don't think my strong recommendations above need to be qualified, however. This is advice from my failed experience playing with the filters. Anyways, something interesting to think about and keep in mind
Old 22nd January 2019, 07:56 AM   #8167
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
I have never felt the need so I cant help you there.

//
Old 22nd January 2019, 07:59 AM   #8168
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
Once i get to work on one of these i plan to remove all ceramics, replace them with ecpu and probably leave a couple of empty pads for adding electrolytics.
I don't believe that is technically sound (intended!!) These are for HF decoupling - your replacement will not do that job on those frequencies. Don't forget to do before and after measurements - also on the outputs!

//
Old 22nd January 2019, 08:05 AM   #8169
analog_sa is online now analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
your replacement will not do that job on those frequencies.
What makes you say that?
Old 22nd January 2019, 08:07 AM   #8170
diyAudio Member

My current state of insight.

//

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KhzHide this!Advertise here!