• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

ok in that case will try with the volume control via Foobar software

I have another question that if Amanero supports DSD I believe it will convert to PCM right in the amanero usb receiver chip right? In that case how do we keep the setting at the Foobar software? Output to DSD so that the DSD is received in the receiver and then the output is converted to PCM at the usb receiver and the PCM i2s signal will be decoded at the DAC? Please check the image attached

Attachments

• dsd.PNG
    dsd.PNG
    63 KB · Views: 685
The Amanero board (much like most current USB interfaces) supports DSD in two ways:

1) Receives DoP from the computer, converts it to "native" DSD and then outputs it as such from its I2S pins, or

2) Receives "native" DSD from the computer and then outputs it as such from its I2S pins.

It can not do DSD to PCM conversion. It's not its job.

The DAM accepts either "native" DSD or DoP on its I2S input and converts it into PCM so that it can be converted to audio by the R-2R ladders.

In foobar you just set it up so that it outputs DSD when you play a DSD file. That's all.

I tried today with the volume control in foobar and with amanero and the volume was changing. It worked.

I have a problem in playing the DSDs that whenever the DSD track was changing there is a little pop in the beginning of the track. Does anyone know how to deal with it. It looks like the synchronization issue. Is there anyway I can get rid of this. I tried using various options
when playing FLACs its not happening.

DSD : Amanero driver
KS Amanero and all other options but when used with PCM mode from the player the pop is little and yet bearable but yes can be pointed.

Can anyone help me how to deal with it.

Did anyone tried roon player integration with Amanero?

Last edited:
DSP and 1021

I am currently using the 1021 followed by an analog active crossover. I have tested the MiniDSP HD. The benefit is obvious - it is very easy to work with when it comes to adjusting for loudspeakers and the room. However, the 1021 is better sounding. Out of ignorance, has anybody tried a Minisharc or similar with two 1021's for DSP crossover? And are there things to be aware of if going that route?

I haven't yet tried it. There have been some discussions in this thread about using the 1021 for active crossover speakers. Since the 1021 reclocks everything it is difficult to make the boards in sync with each other. The boards will be close in time but not guaranteed to be the same clock. The 1121 would be a better choice for multiway speakers. On the 1121, the boards can be synced to a single clock. I was planning to head in the direction of a minishark feeding three 1121 board for an active speaker. I am building the speaker first. I will start out with the Hypex DLCP which I already have before building the 6 channel DAC.

In the photo part of DAM1021 rev5. As you can see, the two previous opamps have been replaced by a single OPA1602, while the VRef have been changed (for better?). Comments are stimulated

https://i.imgur.com/11Dr2kD.jpg

The Vref doesn't look to have changed much but the capacitor layout most certainly has as its now comparable to Soren's commercial products.

How often and what is your source?

//

It is pretty random like once a minute, sometimes more often sometimes less. It is low level, sounds like dust on a record in a way, so it is just annoying on quite music.
One source is a raspberry connected with short cables, the other source is optical spdif. The noise is identical with both sources.
In the meantime I tried to downgrade to 1.06 again, but it does not work. Umanager is recognized by zTerm, the firmware seems to load just fine, but after restart I still read 1.19 in umanager. I tried different upload speeds but no luck. I had the same problem with loading 1.19, after several tries with a low conspeed the upload worked, but downgrading seems to be impossible. As good as the dam sounds, these serial connection issues are really annoying for me. Maybe the problem is the close proximity of the raspberry to the serial connection cables, they are not shielded in the box. Somebody has an idea?

I can also add to that that exact setting must be met, so flowcontrol has to be set to off (I set both hard- and software flow control to off), speed as previous poster mentioned, one stopbit and 8 databits, parity bit off.
It's quite old fashion, but once it works it should be very reliable.

Edit: I also found that working with another program sometimes make setting up easier, I'm using Linux so not sure you're using that or windows (windows I don't have experience with setting up serial).

Good luck

Last edited: