• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

Murata polymers

ESR tends to help with digital, it seems. However I agree you can't know till you do. I've been impressed with the new OSCONs thus far, but we'll see...

Might want to try Murata polymers for digital, better performance than any other polymers I know of. They are a bit smaller and will fit the SMD footprint of a lot of normal SMD electrolytics for swapping. Lower ESR/"faster" is what digital needs.

Who want to pay for the POC ? I believe Soekris maid him parts sourcing already. Murata makes also very gods ceramic above the curent spec... but pricy iirc !

But maybe for a V2, some vias could be added near the main smt can caps pads for the tweaking lovers ? And a version wiyhout the main caps already soldered !

I believe we ask a lot as the low cost must depend of the industrial production process in a factory. But sure some good designs can be improved, but beta test can be expensive with such devices (many parts with low tolerance, very small smt mount, etc !).
lower esr is not always better, some other strange interactions makes sometimes a better sound with higher esr ! Dépends where on the shematic, no ?

Bah, we will test ourselves very soon now !

Happy New Year to all.

Might want to try Murata polymers for digital, better performance than any other polymers I know of. They are a bit smaller and will fit the SMD footprint of a lot of normal SMD electrolytics for swapping. Lower ESR/"faster" is what digital needs.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm always in need of more listening of the same songs over and over! Ha... er...

Maybe they make something that'll fit the frustrating Crown XLS.

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Hi Søren,

Can you any give any detail about how input switching is handled in the initial firmware release and whether this will be available as a remote controlled function in the foreseeable future?

Also what are the signal level requirements for the digital inputs? AES/EBU is 2-7Vpp and SPDIF 0.5Vpp so do we need to do level conversion on these signal levels before hooking up to the DAC board?

cheers
Paul

Last edited:
Does the Z of the SE output was given already ?

Does this output need an external unity gain stage for impedance adaptation to sound better if directly connected to an amp ?

(even if this one has a low input impedance and of course if the case where the volum is managed in digital before the DAC)

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Does the Z of the SE output was given already ?

I'm sure it's been posted to this thread but the information is on the Soekris.eu website.

"The basis R-2R network has an output voltage of 1.4V RMS and output impedance of 625 ohm and can therefore drive a lot of things directly. There is also onboard balanced output drivers that can drive high impedance (>= 300 ohm) headphones directly."

The basis R-2R network has an output voltage of 1.4V RMS and output impedance of 625 ohm and can therefore drive a lot of things directly. There is also onboard balanced output drivers that can drive high impedance (>= 300 ohm) headphones directly.
[taken from the website]

Yes, I know very well that it is capable of driving high impedance headphones directly according to the specs. My question was to Søren if he actually tried and tested this.
Well, we'll have to see.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yes, I know very well that it is capable of driving high impedance headphones directly according to the specs. My question was to Søren if he actually tried and tested this.
Well, we'll have to see.

My testing so far is done with my HD-650 headphones driven directly from the DAC. And it sounds great....

The used LME49724 balanced driver are spec'ed to deliver typical +- 80 mA, so you could probably drive even lower impedance headphones and/or drive them balanced....