• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

Hello
I've one question:
at the moment I've a Dam1021 v.3 with standard software,connected in I2S with INPSLCT0 and INPSLCT1 at GND:

with SDtrans 384 it works perfect at any sample rate
with windows Media Player and Amanero only at 44Khz and loose the lock many times every 3 or 4 seconds, at 96Khz no lock
with Cubietruck and direct I2s don't lock
with Cubietruck and Amanero 44.1Khz loose the lock many times every 3 or 4 seconds,at 96Khz only sometimes loose the lock

If I remuve INPSLCT0 and INPSLCT1:

with windows Media Player and Amanero only at 44Khz and loose the lock many times every 3 or 4 secondsas before, at 96Khz no lock
with Cubietruck and direct I2s at 44.1Khz loose the lock many times every 3 or 4 seconds, at 96Khz no lock
with Cubietruck and Amanero at44.1Khz loose the lock many times every 10 seconds,at 96Khz keep the lock
What do you think about? Do you have any suggestion?
I've tried the I2s Cubietruck out with a 4399 dac without any problem.
The type of wire and the connection lenght is the same in all the tests.

Thanks for your patience
Guglielmo

Do you have a working serial interface?
I would try to reprogram it to make sure it's not some strange firmware problem.

Also, how long are your I2S lines? They should be as short as possible.

After enjoying the virtues of umanager and feeling comfortable with it I decided to try 1.06.

Asked to update and then said Yes - umanger said resetting and something else signifying it was done though the cursor never returned to the left side of the screen and I cannot remember what it did when I installed 1.05.

I let it sit like this for five minutes and then exited TERA TERM. Hoping something would happen

Turned the DAC on and off.

Re-entered TERA TERM and now after typing +++ nothing happens.

What does one do?

(worst fears realized - should have left it at 1.05)

DAC still plays. Due to the space between gaps I think it remains with 1.05 though I no longer have the facility to change polarity or filters. Obviously.

Ended up turning the DAC on and off three or so more times. Re-booted the computer. Went in and out of TERA TERM numerous times.

Is there anything that can be done?

My confession: since I intend to use a long RS232 cable to get the computer away from the system I had set the baud rate to 9600 just to see what would happen. It was very slow, that's for sure. Could that have anything to do with this problem?

Hello
I've one question:
at the moment I've a Dam1021 v.3 with standard software,connected in I2S with INPSLCT0 and INPSLCT1 at GND:

with SDtrans 384 it works perfect at any sample rate
with windows Media Player and Amanero only at 44Khz and loose the lock many times every 3 or 4 seconds, at 96Khz no lock
with Cubietruck and direct I2s don't lock
with Cubietruck and Amanero 44.1Khz loose the lock many times every 3 or 4 seconds,at 96Khz only sometimes loose the lock

If I remuve INPSLCT0 and INPSLCT1:

with windows Media Player and Amanero only at 44Khz and loose the lock many times every 3 or 4 secondsas before, at 96Khz no lock
with Cubietruck and direct I2s at 44.1Khz loose the lock many times every 3 or 4 seconds, at 96Khz no lock
with Cubietruck and Amanero at44.1Khz loose the lock many times every 10 seconds,at 96Khz keep the lock
What do you think about? Do you have any suggestion?
I've tried the I2s Cubietruck out with a 4399 dac without any problem.
The type of wire and the connection lenght is the same in all the tests.

Thanks for your patience
Guglielmo

You are powering the "dirty" side of the DAM's isolators, right?

dimdim,

I would not use the DC-DC converters for powering. You can bypass those and use external supplies. I have a mordant "fear" DC-DC converters. But to be fair I bet the ARDUINO has plenty of them, too.

Plenty of PS stuff laying about my house; would make two supplies for each "end".

I would prefer using your approach, just for compactness sake.

Can you point me towards some kind of tutorial to show me the basics of setting this up?

Are your SHIELD pcbs available?

I wonder if by the time I finished with the AD isolator it would be the size of your whole ARDUINO arrangement?

Thanks and take care,

It's true that the Arduino DUE does have a switching P/S on board that cannot be readily replaced by a linear P/S. But it could be done, if one is sufficiently determined. The Arduinos are open source hardware - you can very easily figure out what to do to change the P/S.

I'm afraid that I don't have an exact tutorial on setting things up. A very good start would be the shield's description. From the description you can figure out what parts you need for your implementation. Perhaps I should write something more straightforward.. I'll think about it. Maybe it deserves its own thread.

Yes, I do keep a few spare PCBs because people ask for them all of the time and I can't help being a people pleaser. :)

My Arduino rig has the footprint of an Arduino Due (the shield needs no extra space) plus some space for the TFT (usually it is flush mounted to the case's front, so it doesn't really take up much space).

After enjoying the virtues of umanager and feeling comfortable with it I decided to try 1.06.

Asked to update and then said Yes - umanger said resetting and something else signifying it was done though the cursor never returned to the left side of the screen and I cannot remember what it did when I installed 1.05.

I let it sit like this for five minutes and then exited TERA TERM. Hoping something would happen

Turned the DAC on and off.

Re-entered TERA TERM and now after typing +++ nothing happens.

What does one do?

(worst fears realized - should have left it at 1.05)

DAC still plays. Due to the space between gaps I think it remains with 1.05 though I no longer have the facility to change polarity or filters. Obviously.

Ended up turning the DAC on and off three or so more times. Re-booted the computer. Went in and out of TERA TERM numerous times.

Is there anything that can be done?

My confession: since I intend to use a long RS232 cable to get the computer away from the system I had set the baud rate to 9600 just to see what would happen. It was very slow, that's for sure. Could that have anything to do with this problem?

Check if it reset itself back to 115200 baud. Also from what I remember only the FPGA firmware was updated to 1.06, uManager was kept at 1.05.

Check if it reset itself back to 115200 baud. Also from what I remember only the FPGA firmware was updated to 1.06, uManager was kept at 1.05.

It is the other way round, uC firmware should get ver. 1.06. the fpga stays 1.0.5.

The default serial port speed is 115200 baud. Do you get some some output on the serial interface from the DAM after powering it up? Normally it displays firmware version, volume, input and filter setting. Then the RS 232 connection should be establised.

If you type +++ the next must be a pause of a second, not "enter" or something like that.

P.S. if you use the isolated serial interface, switch to the real RS 232 and redo the firmware update.
I once, by accident, interrupted the firmware update and after that the isolated serial interface was nonresponcive, but the RS 232 worked.

Last edited:
Thanks, dimdim and zfe,

The update was made using the non-isolated port with the BRAINBOX USB-RS232 adapter. I have no way of using the isolated port since I removed one of the GMR isolators that it uses (the one combined with the IIS input).

I had installed an RS232 PCIe adapter and have tried using that. Nothing happens. Both devices are listed in DEVICE MANAGER as working.

I figured the update would reset baud rate to 115200 so that is what I had used initially ALONG with trying 9600 just to be sure after 115200 did not work.

All I get is a blinking cursor on TERA TERM. There is no communication between the DAM and TERA TERM, damnit.

I left the board off all night hoping, like with motherboard BIOS problems I have experienced sometimes, just leaving it off sets things right. Did not happen.

I had become comfortable with umanager so I know I did nothing wrong with the procedure.

I had previously updated to 1.05 FPGA and firmware without incident. Was using Paul's filters but was curious to hear the SOEKRIS filters and hoping that last little bit of silence between tracks had been eliminated. One wonders what is the point of those old orchestral CDs with the ridiculous segmenting? Would be good if those could be played without the blips.

The only thing I can think of is there a "time-out" aspect to unmanager and the slow baud rate took me over the limit? To repeat, all went normally, I was told the download had occurred. I asked to update, umanager asked me if I was sure, I typed "Y" - it said it was re-setting. The cursor remained blinking in this same position. I left it sit there for at least five minutes. I could not remember what it looked like from the last session. But I figured after this length of time it had to have done what it needed to do.

Thought it was strange, though, that I could no longer type - no keystrokes were responded to - I reset the DAM - nothing happened so I was not able to exit TERA TERM as I would have liked to. I had to force it.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hey Rick,
excuse my bad English, I will always translate everything by Google.
I bought a DAC1101 and wondered why he sounds much worse at the line output than my slightly modified DAM-DAC. After many exhibitions I found the cause, Soeren used as a switch for the outputs to CPC1017 or the CPC10120 that are CMOS relay with non-linear characteristics. Easily measure the difference between the input and the output of this component in normal operation clearly shows that the component does not behave uniformly neutral. So I have the CMOS switch away and replaced with simple mechanical switch. With this small change in the unit changed significantly. Now it is the best DAC I have here and my selection is not small, consistently R2R and usually very expensive. I hope that it is now understood.

Translation is OK but please use very simple, straight forward and to the point sentences and no slang or strange analogies. This helps the understanding.

//

Well, it is working.

I think this is what happened:

After another few rounds of loading TERA TERM and trying both baud speeds and nothing I turned off the DAC.

I then reloaded TERA TERM and the same old thing, nothing happening when I type +++, and then I realized (this time only) that I had not turned the DAC back on so I turned it on with TERA TERM running and got the stuff on the screen you see when you exit umanager. I cannot tell you how happy this made me.

Went back into umanager and it had installed 1.06 AND had kept my baud speed of 9600 so I guess FPGA retained that setting and all of the others for that matter.

None of this makes any sense but who cares?

I guess 1.06 has made no inroads in shortening the gap between tracks.

So far I must say the SOEKRIS Soft filter sounds very good to me.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Robert, Thanks for the info and tips!!!!

@GregStewart:

You should take the time and install ARCHPHILE on your RPi. This MPD-based distro is reduced to the lim in operation and let RPi sound significantly better compared to squeezelite usage.

I've tested all the relevant available distros and Archphile soundwise clearly do best.

Further I recommend to power the Pi via it's GPIO- pins (5V-Ground) through a solid PSU.

I run my DAM like that using I2S connectivity (Create solid connection and keep wires as short as possible)

Greetingz, Robert

Robert,

I already have Archphile on my list already due to a strong recommendation from the guys who make the MamboBerry DAC (which BTW sounds much better than a $110 R-Pi HAT DAC should ever sound!). I'll move trying it up on my priority list.

I already have a good power supply for the Pi connected through the 5v-Ground pins on the expansion header using an Ian Canada R-Pi adapter board which also sports u.fl connectors for the I2S pins. I've hard-wired short u.fl leads at the DAM end and have the DAM in a separate enclosure to lower radiated interference from the Pi.

See attached pix of my R-Pi->DAM connection and the related power supply array... the one on the far left powers the Pi, with about 15,000uf of filtering and a good LT3083 regulator chip. 1 of the other full supplies has 30,000uf of Mundorf, the other 5 47,000uf of Jensen 4-Pole caps each. The smaller transformer is for a power-on mute.

Greg in Mississippi

Attachments

• R-Pi-DAM.jpg
    R-Pi-DAM.jpg
    874.1 KB · Views: 771
  • R-Pi-DAM-PSUs.jpg
    R-Pi-DAM-PSUs.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 737
Hi Greg!

Very impressing! This is what I would call a PSU;-)

I generally recommend to keep power wires' lenght at least after the last capacitor-bank below 10cm in order to achieve as good as possible 'on demand' performance of your caps. If not possible, place the last cap-bank as close as practicable to the consuming device.

Very interested in your personal Archphile- experience;-)

Greetingz, Robert

Hi JJansen,
After many exhibitions I found the cause, Soeren used as a switch for the outputs to CPC1017 or the CPC10120 that are CMOS relay with non-linear characteristics. Easily measure the difference between the input and the output of this component in normal operation clearly shows that the component does not behave uniformly neutral. So I have the CMOS switch away and replaced with simple mechanical switch. With this small change in the unit changed significantly.
A friend asked me to do that modification for the line out section (CPC1017N).
Just to proove that it makes a difference a wire is soldered in parallel to the CPC1017N load pins (3 & 4). Nice improvement.

Apart from loosing the switched by dac1101 feature: any reason not to keep that short wire? Phones are rarely used.

Would you pls kindly indicate where the mechaical switch is loacated? a picture would be great, of course.

br
Ulli

A friend asked me to do that modification for the line out section (CPC1017N).
Just to proove that it makes a difference a wire is soldered in parallel to the CPC1017N load pins (3 & 4). Nice improvement.

Apart from loosing the switched by dac1101 feature: any reason not to keep that short wire? Phones are rarely used.

Would you pls kindly indicate where the mechaical switch is loacated? a picture would be great, of course.

br
Ulli[/QUOTE]
I once privately replied