• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

Hello everybody,
Looking for a DAC to go with TVC passive preamp, 2A3 direct coupled and full range speakers, listening mostly classical music. I hestitate between DDDAC1794 NOS with ils passive IV and the soekris R2R.
I saw this one is very good but can lack à bit dynamics and sound flatteur ?
What do you guys would advice ?
Jules

Firmware version 1.05 is now up on Soekris Engineering, Inc. | Downloads
The issues on version 1.03 and 1.04 should be fixed, and I have worked hard to limit (hopefully eliminate) clicks and pop when changing between PCM and DSD and between sample rates.... Reports very welcome.

I can confirm. Pops and clicks are gone with 1.05 (rev1 board + amanero)
Thanks Soren

Rev 3 have 400 uF per vref rail, the vref buffers now have 25 mohm output impedance but are otherwise the same.

My recommendations are still don't touch the buffers but add as much capacitance you feel like, that's why there now actually are holes to do it easily....

Great, since they are at the vref output 6.3v caps will be enough, right? I take it there is a 5v regulator before, and then vref reg takes it down to 4v, and these are at its output? even considering +-20% it should be fine then....

I saw this one is very good but can lack à bit dynamics and sound flatteur ?
What do you guys would advice ?
You probably refer to the early boards.
I don't have any lack of dynamics or flat sound. My board is modded with the first Vref mod (4 caps and resistors and compensation) plus the clock and resistor mod.
Has gained a lot in three-dimensionality and has the cleanest and deepest bass from all DAC's I tried so far.

You probably refer to the early boards.

I don't have any lack of dynamics or flat sound. My board is modded with the first Vref mod (4 caps and resistors and compensation) plus the clock and resistor mod.

Has gained a lot in three-dimensionality and has the cleanest and deepest bass from all DAC's I tried so far.

Ok with bass quality, but as I listen mostly classical music, I need magic medium and trebble, very transparent and involving with great timbres and Dynamic for micro détails, and modulation.
Do still recommend Soekris over DDDAC1794 ?

Ok with bass quality, but as I listen mostly classical music, I need magic medium and trebble, very transparent and involving with great timbres and Dynamic for micro détails, and modulation.
Do still recommend Soekris over DDDAC1794 ?

Get a dam1021 v3 and add some caps to the vref now that its simple to do with the newer larger holes. You should be very impressed. (still very in awe with my setup months later)

The clock mods are just adding more capacitance to the V3.3 rail caps located near the clock. I personally use the 2 pins (V3.3/GND) at the end of the FPGA programming headers (nearest to the clock, GND having an arrow). Unlike the vref caps (which tend to tighten up the bass orders of magnitude), the clock caps typically have little noticeable effects (its subjective, might help with jitter, etc).

Last edited:
I need magic medium and trebble

Don't we all need magic mids and treble? But magic is very subjective... everyone has his/her own perception of that.

My AYA TDA1541 DAC might sound more involving or pleasant, but in my opinion that is because it adds a bit here and takes a bit away there.
It's a great sounding DAC, but more true to the source is the DAM1021. It's like you are looking onto the stage, fullscale with even the tiniest detail recovered.
I'd call that "my magic".

I have not heard the DDAC.

Thanks for your replies. I'm tempted.
Some advices maybe :
- to connect to Sowter TVC 9335, raw se output or buffered ?
- is it possible not to oversample ?
- for DC power, I was thinking about 12V LiFePO4 battery with caps, as it is quiet and low DCR, any experience ? Or other high quality PSU (shunt régulator....)?
- What would be the best USB I2S interface ?

That is a lot of question, hope someone will be able to help me

Jules

Some advices maybe :
theres no dc on output so id be more inclined to use a jfet buffer circuit
there is a nos filter for the soekris with similar signature also my fav
- for DC power, I was thinking about 12V LiFePO4 battery with caps, as it is quiet and low DCR, any experience ? Or other high quality PSU (shunt régulator....)?
i use lifepo4 3.3 cells throughout but thats quite a bit of work
at the moment im favouring the diyinhk usb/i2s it runs completly and directly with 3.3v the magic number

Jules

Some advices maybe :

Jules

For driving a TVC, I'm not sure how the raw out will do.
I use the raw out, and am quite happy with them, but I never tried the buffered out.

There is a NOS filter that you can try. One think I like about this dac is there are different filters to try. Some people did quite a bit of work on filters before a few were settled on.

I use lifepo4 batteries, but not to generate +12V. You would actually need + and - 12vdc, so you looking at eight batteries, four for positive and 4 for negative.

I have removed many of the regulators, and use lifepo4 batteries to supply power directly to the DAC, but this is more of a "radical" mod.

Randy

Thank you Nige2000,
The diynihk looks very nice. They also have very precise voltage regulators for +_12V or 3.3V. What would you advice for dam1021 powering ? For batteries, I will try later.
For TVC connexion on the raw se output, you sais there was no DC, what does it mean ?
You talked about à Jfet buffer, diynihk propose à LME49880 DIP Version Dual JFET Input Ultra High Quality Audio Operational : do you think it could be à good match ?
Jules

1.05 firmware ... no more pops, great work Soekris.

As to the sound, this DAC is the best DAC I've tried so far. It's directly connected to my GM-70 monoblocks. Superb sound, very true to the source, like Stixx said, that's the real magic.

Yes indeed. pop's are gone, very pleased with the DAC and thanks.

However... I tried to load the moredamfilters party pack as I like the NewNOS filter (on F7). If you load the party pack, DSD does not work anymore.

Is it possible to have and DSD and the NewNOS filter at the same time?

Yes indeed. pop's are gone, very pleased with the DAC and thanks.

However... I tried to load the moredamfilters party pack as I like the NewNOS filter (on F7). If you load the party pack, DSD does not work anymore.

Is it possible to have and DSD and the NewNOS filter at the same time?

Yes, but somebody then need to take the new DSD filter coeffs from 1021filt_104.txt and add the the other filter packs.... The filter file format has not otherwise changed.