• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Pulsar Clock - Ultra Low Noise OCXO

Hi Pulsar,thank you for your encouragement:).I received your power board today,nice,I install it this weekend,I tell you what I think.I agree that the most important line is after the XO board,but that which is done before are also heard,for proof, a Amanero will have a different result than a Raspi or Cubie.

Is there a way to mod the BII to integrate the Pulsar clock and reg?
Dominic,
like for the AckoDAC S03 case that I mentioned in post #16 the problem is to install a DIL14 on a SMD landing pattern. Unfortunately I couldn't find neither a B II board nor images of the B II PCB without the Clock in order to verify a possible solution.
If the B II have the same 3 pin clock interface hidden under the clock of the B III board the solution could be immediate. To check this you have to verify the presence of 3 through holes on the rear side of the B II board right behind the clock, if you find them, please, send me a picture for information. Thank you Dominic.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Pulsar,

The BII does not have the 3 through-hole pads under the clock that is on the BIII boards. So it will take some ingenuity to adapt your DIL14 device to this legacy (but still great!) DAC with an SMD-mounted clock.

The BII DOES have a place where a Twisted Pear Trident regulator can be added AND this CAN be used as a mount-point for your reg on that board... just need to check pinouts, I think they are the same, but DON'T trust my memory!

Greg in Mississippi

I am Stig Bjorge of the Lyra phono cartridge company. However, I am enjoying high-bit, high-oversampling digital file playback, and I have been a member of the SDTrans group for several years, and I am also a personal friend of Shin Nakagawa who makes the Fidelix Caprice ES9018S based DAC-Preamp. I have been instrumental in negotiating agreements in use of technology solutions like f.ex. I2S over HDMI (originally developed by PS Audio in the USA).

Through my company, I purchased a few sets Pulsar clocks so we could test a 45/49MHz pair as well as a 90/98MHz pair. My Fidelix Caprice already had the Chiaki-developed "sync option" with NDK 90/98MHz non-oven clocks. Especially since I have two identical Fidelix Caprice available, I thought it would be a great opportunity for a direct comparison.

Bunpei helped me install a suitable clock receptacle into one of the caprice, and 3.3V power is supplied by an external Kenwood instrumentation power supply. This made it possible to switch between 45MHz and 90MHz clocks for comparison. (At this point we have not made circuitry for "on the fly switching" between 44.1kHz and 48kHz ladders, so we stay with the 44.1KHz ladder for the time being.)

We then performed listening comparisons between the original (Chiaki modified) synchronised 90MHz Fidelix Caprice, and the identical Fidelix Caprice with Pulsar Clock (initially 90MHz) installed.

Sources were 44.1kHz files ripped from CD.

It immediately became clear that this was a "day and night" comparison since the differences were NOT subtle, but "straight in your face". The DAC containing the Pulsar Clock was easily "the winner"

At a later stage in the testing we compared 90MHz vs 45MHz Pulsar Clock in the modified Fidelix Caprice, and it became apparent that a slightly bright and edgy character of the 90MHz clock became smoother and musically friendlier with the 45MHz Pulsar Clock which we in the end chose to keep for all further listening.

After the testing was over, I proceeded to play higher sampling and bitrate files downloaded from HDTracks etc.

I actually own the EMM LABS DAC2X and matching TSDX disc transport, and in recent months it has become clear that this costly equipment really is a musical reference that I prefer in most cases when listening to digital. The only downside is that input connections are very limited (SPDIF up to 192kHz etc) so I am not able to play I2S direct from the SDTrans to my frustration.

Recently (after I acquired the DAC2X) I have been a bit frustrated with the lacking sound quality from the SDTrans that I use with two different DAC solutions. A couple of the engineers I work with (I am not one myself) is working on an advanced project to create a high level I/V converter and power supply fitting for the SDTrans and companion Chiaki DAC. So the idea has for a long time been to keep on improving the SDTrans based system to exceed the sound of any other digital system that it is compared to.

However, today playing through the relatively simple and compact Fidelix Caprice with 45MHz Pulsar Clock, I finally achieved a sound that I have been looking for. I am not necessarily saying that it is absolutely better then the EMM LABS DAC2X, because I cannot switch using the same source, but the overall listening results are on par with what I expect and accept in my listening room.

It should be noted that my absolute reference remains analog sources since we are a developer and manufacturer of analog products. And maybe it is the most difficult task for digital equipment to stand up to a true analog reference (we are talking cartridges and tonearms that EACH retails for more than US$10000 and the turntable itself and also the phono amps for several times MORE than that amount.)

So I personally think that the Pulsar Clock persevered in this test; so that I can fully recommend it.

Last edited:
Very nice report,can you say why you prefer the 45/49MHz Pulsar instead 90/98MHz please.

Like I have stated in my "review", it is for sonic reasons. The sound became calmer and relaxed with more "meat" on instruments and voices, and at the same time more "precision" and "clarity", so we plain simple preferred it. Besides; technically our DAC does not need the higher clock rate, so the 45/49 is "sufficient".

We have done several other comparison with normal "non-oven" crystal oscillators of various grades also testing 45/49 and 90/98. However, it seems to be a general tendency that the lower oscillator frequency "you can get away with" still achieving your technical goal, the better the sound will be. 45/49 seems to be a good compromise for what WE are trying to achieve :)

Pulsar Clock Plots

Is it possible to see a typical phase noise plot down to 1 Hz (or lower)? Your specs are very good, but I'm somewhat skeptical. If they are the real deal then I don't see a problem with the pricing.
The phase noise performance of any clock is tightly related to the clock frequency, for this reason we publish here two different plots for a low and a high frequency.
The test was performed from 0.1 Hz to 1 MHz in standard conditions, i.e. in absence of vibrations.
Please note that we don't provide a generic plot for all the devices with a certain frequency, but we provide and certify each plot related to a well defined device identified with its serial number that, in this case, is visible in the annexed full product range picture.
Each Pulsar Clock is provided with its own certificate as shown in the picture.

Attachments

• 00421814F.jpg
    00421814F.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 1,599
  • 00921114C.jpg
    00921114C.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 1,527
  • Pulsar Clock and Pulsar Power.JPG
    Pulsar Clock and Pulsar Power.JPG
    316.2 KB · Views: 1,520
  • Certificates.JPG
    Certificates.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,499
Last edited:
Implementation of the Pulsar power supply on the clock board of Ian,i have removed the PH connector,and solder the pins of the Pulsar power instead,pretty easy to do.I am very happy with the result.
Very good support from the team Pulsar,thank you again.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Xo 1 partagé sur ZimageZ

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

XO2 partagé sur ZimageZ

XO3 partagé sur ZimageZ

Pulsar Clock: Features, How to order, Datasheet & Price Summary

To help those who asked us how to find easily the information on the Pulsar Clock
we post here this summary. Information is also available here.

SPECIFICATIONS
Phase Noise: Pulsar Clock exhibits one of the best phase noise profiles available on the market, phase noise figures are provided in the datasheet for each frequency
Standard Frequencies: 11.289600 MHz 12.288000 MHz 22.579200 MHz 24.576000 MHz
45.158400 MHz 49.152000 MHz 90.316800 MHz 98.304000 MHz 100.000000 MHz
Power Supply Voltage: + 3.3 Vdc
Output Waveform: HCMOS
DIP14 Pinout: directly plugs into clock sockets or can be soldered
Low Steady State Current: 50 mA Max
Low Warm Up Current: 150 mA Max
Quick Warm Up: 120 seconds Max

FEATURES
· Ultra Low Phase Noise
· Femtosecond Jitter
· Very Low Power Consumption
· Laser Etched Serial Number
· Easy Installation
· Designed for High-End Audio DAC
· Makes digital music a unique listening experience

DATASHEET
Link to the latest version of the Pulsar Clock Datasheet
Current Revision 1.0.1 of the Pulsar Clock datasheet is annexed to this post

PULSAR CLOCK PRICE
Frequencies up to 98.304 MHz: ea. 350 Euro + V.A.T. where applicable + Insured Shipping & Handling
100 MHz Frequency: ea. 310 Euro + V.A.T. where applicable + Insured Shipping & Handling

HOW TO ORDER PULSAR CLOCK
Pulsar Clock are classified as dual use items so before shipment you could be requested to sign and End User Statement.
To order Pulsar Clock just click here and compile the Google Forms made to provide us in a safe way all and only the necessary information to send you the End User Statement and the Quotation for signature.
When we receive the signed documents we send you the Invoice and the relevant PayPal payment request.
Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions are available in the Google Forms.
PayPal accepts all the main Credit Cards providing you many guaranties for a safe purchase.
Upon payment Pulsar Clocks are delivered with a UPS Insured Shipment.

PULSAR CLOCK REVIEWS
Review #1
Review #2

Attachments

• Pulsar Clock on DIL14 Socket.jpg
    Pulsar Clock on DIL14 Socket.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 831
  • Pulsar Clock 98.304.jpg
    Pulsar Clock 98.304.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 819
  • Pulsar Clock Full Range.JPG
    Pulsar Clock Full Range.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 811
  • Pulsar Clock Dataheet Rev 1.0.1.pdf
    104.1 KB · Views: 167
Pulsar Pulsar Power: Features, How to order, Datasheet & Price Summary

To help those who asked us how to find easily the information on the Pulsar Power board
we post here this summary. Information is also available here.

SPECIFICATIONS
Output Voltage: +3.3 Vdc
Input Voltage: +5 Vdc to +9 Vdc
Output Current: 800 mA
1.6 μV rms Total Integrated Noise from 10 Hz to 100 kHz

FEATURES
· ADM7150 Core, the 1.7nV/√Hz Ultralow Noise, High PSRR LDO by Analog Devices
· Ideal for Pulsar Clock, superb for Analog Audio
· Capacitors Synergy Design with Triple Technology, C0G + Tantalum + X7R
· Tunable Noise Loop, add your favourite Capacitor
· Any-board Install Accessories, it comes with 3 type of mounting pins/socket and 2 jumpers.
· Three Pin Regulators 2.54 mm (0.1") Standard Interface
· Input & Output status LEDs
· Small Size Board
· Input Bead Filtered with Easy Bypass feature

DATASHEET
Link to the latest version of the Pulsar Power board Datasheet
Current Revision 1.0.2 of the Pulsar Power datasheet is annexed to this post

PULSAR POWER PRICE
Pulsar Power Board: ea. 36.00 Euro (VAT Included)
Worldwide Registered Shipping & Handling Contribution: 12.50 Euro

HOW TO ORDER PULSAR POWER
To order Pulsar Power just click here and compile the Google Forms made to provide us in a safe way
all and only the necessary information to send you the Invoice and the relevant PayPal payment request.
Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions are available in the Google Forms.
PayPal accepts Credit Card payments providing you many guaranties for a safe purchase.
Upon payment Pulsar Power are shipped with registered mail.

Attachments

• Pulsar Power Datasheet Rev. 1.0.2.pdf
    459.3 KB · Views: 160
  • Pulsar Power Board with Items in Package and Dimensions.jpg
    Pulsar Power Board with Items in Package and Dimensions.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,839
  • Pulsar Power Boards.JPG
    Pulsar Power Boards.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 618
  • Pulsar Power Board on BIII DAC.jpg
    Pulsar Power Board on BIII DAC.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 390
I am on my way implementing an ES9018 based DAC and I am not sure if there is a big difference running with one 100MHz clock in asynchronous mode or with dual 45MHz, 49MHz clocks in synchronous mode, any experience here?
phi,
our team had the opportunity to compare the two configurations that you mentioned and, starting from the conclusions, synchronous configurations are better then the asynchronous ones, the differences are clear even if they are not exactly "big".

First of all it is clear that any comparison must be made with homogeneous components, I mean that all the three clocks (45, 49, 100) must share the same technology, classical or thermally controlled, so what we say in the following is always referred to a set of three traditional clocks or to a set of thermally controlled clocks.
Independently by the technology the advantages of synchronously feeded data are perceivable, there is less digital harshness in the sound and better focus on the audio scene even if it is less relevant then the one perceivable between different technologies.

The hardware of our main synch and asynch test configurations are described in a previous post available here. The comparision was made on PCM and not on DSD files.
The synchronous configuration requires extra hardware so the cost of a synchronous configuration is obviously a little bit higher, but our team agrees that the advantages well worth the extra-cost.
The same kind of benfits of a synchronous configuration were listened during synch vs. asynch playback with a SDtrans 384 Player equiped (and not equiped) with a Sync board.
The same kind of impression on the benefits of a synchronized signal are also reported by Bunpei in this post.

From a technical point of view this is probably due to a dual effect:
1) A synchronous flow of data doesn't require the ES9018 to fit the phase of the incoming data with the one of its clock. Even if the ES9018 makes for sure this process in a notable way it is always a source of little artifacts so synchronization is a benefit.
2) Any synchronization hardware (Ian's Fifo, Acko's S03, Chiaki/Bunpei's SDTrans 384 + Synch Board, etc.) performs also a very good dejitter and reclock function so the ES9018 is fed with a better signal and can perform its internal dejitter process with much higher precision and great benefit on the output signal.

In the end I just mention two details of our configuration that in our experience demonstrated to be effective to improve the sound quality:
a) Absorber feet reduces the vibrations that reaches the clock. It is well known that any clock is sensitive to the mechanical vibrations that are transformed in jitter on the output signal and this becomes relevant when it is added to a significantly low phase noise.
b) In our configuration we obtained the best results modifying the DualXO board, as indicated by Ian, removing the original ADP151 regulators and powering the board directly with a 3.3V ADM7150 regulator, always from Analog Devices.

Hi,

I'm trying to get a better opinion re: sampling rate vs phase noise inherent to clock speed, all with regard to Ians Dual XO and a tda1541A running in simultaneous mode (up to 384.xxkHz).

I can afford to replace one clock, not both.. and so figured to use the clock that allows for direct multiples of the 44.1kHz sampling frequency.

Question is.. with the 44.xxMHz clock I can get to Fs = 352.xx kHz , but I see that phase noise is higher than 22.xxMhz which can get me to Fs = 176.xkHz. Of course both will allow for playback at 44.1kHz if no upsampling (via PC) is employed.

Can anyone please shed some light on which is likely the best way to go with regard to clock speed, Ians Dual XO, and sampling rates.

Thank you,
Shane

I had the chance to listen to the Pulsar clocks (45Mhz and 49 Mhz).

The advantage of the Ian clock card is that it’s really easy to change the clocks ; consequently the Pulsar are replacing two Crystek CCHD957, also at 45 and 49MHZ.

The first impression is a pronounced decrease of any form of aggressiveness, which you can hear immediately with a Sennheiser HD800. Then as we go along the listening, I realized that with the Pulsar the difference between each recording is way more pronounced: every piece of music has his own savor in a way.

Then what hits you also is the possibility to increase the volume without the soundstage being projected in the front at the same time, there is more space between the instruments.

Just like a change of DAC-Amp..., the Pulsar clocks are a leap forward in the quality sound reproduction.

Hi,

I am very interesting in pulsar power board & clock. I am using dddac pcm1794 nos Dac. I want to change the LE33 and LE50 to pulsar power board in digital section. And also I have two questions:
1. Can the pulsar power board suited for PCM 1794 analog section too? (Can I change ADM7150 to ADM7151 to get 8V?)
2. Is there a 12MHz pulsar clock To change the TentLabs's 12MHz clock?

Best regards!

Jason

I am very interesting in pulsar power board & clock. I am using dddac pcm1794 nos Dac. I want to change the LE33 and LE50 to pulsar power board in digital section.
Jason,
the DDDAC1794 NOS provides 12V to the many LFxx widely used in this interesting project while the Pulsar Power board accepts only a maximum of 9V in its current version. This limit will be superseded in the next generation of Pulsar Power boards increasing the nominal voltage of the input tantalum capacitor.
The Pulsar Power board was originally designed with Pulsar Clock in mind so it is currently available only in the 3.3V version, the 5.0 version will come in the future.

1. Can the pulsar power board suited for PCM 1794 analog section too? (Can I change ADM7150 to ADM7151 to get 8V?)
The ADM7151 maximum output voltage is 5.1V so it can't be used to power the 8V analog section.

2. Is there a 12MHz pulsar clock To change the TentLabs's 12MHz clock
Pulsar Clock is not currently available in the 12.000000 MHz frequency and in a DIL8 pinout.