• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

First One - mosFET amplifier module

I now have two modules thanks to felixx.

DC Sense speaker protection - is this needed / recommended, or is there potential for negative effect on audio quality?

Do the large modules use all of the same crimps as the medium module? (There's only a manual for the medium unit).

I'm using a single Hypex SMPS3kA400, is the soft start module also recommended?

My first amplifier build...

Last edited:
I now have two modules thanks to felixx.

DC Sense speaker protection - is this needed / recommended, or is there potential for negative effect on audio quality?

Do the large modules use all of the same crimps as the medium module? (There's only a manual for the medium unit).

I'm using a single Hypex SMPS3kA400, is the soft start module also recommended?

My first amplifier build...

Big project for a first build. I like your boldness... :)

Since nobody answers, I'll try to: if I understood correctly, LC's own speaker protection module is a DC sense that acts in parallel with the signal and shuts down the PS "instantly" when DC is detected. I guess no harm is done to the sound quality.
Check out Hypex' site. I believe no (extra) soft start module is needed for a well designed SMPS.
I don't know that big SMPS but my smaller ones all have extra capacitance (with extra NTC thermistor added in series with input) and one has extra C-L-C to good effect.

Good luck.
M.

Thanks M.

I will definately be installing a soft start module. I have discovered that a soft start module impacts only the mains supply, switching the current through relays, so it can't have any effect on the audio. Soft start only really helps with larger SMPS, soulnd't really be much risk of on/off hump if I was using a smaller Hypex module.

Speaker protection circuits are also cheap, so I'm going to buy one - I can always remove it.

Thanks M.

I will definately be installing a soft start module. I have discovered that a soft start module impacts only the mains supply, switching the current through relays, so it can't have any effect on the audio. Soft start only really helps with larger SMPS, soulnd't really be much risk of on/off hump if I was using a smaller Hypex module.

Speaker protection circuits are also cheap, so I'm going to buy one - I can always remove it.

In kindly insist that you thoroughly study your SMPS' Manual, especially the section pertaining to DC error and soft start, and/or ask Hypex' team for advice.
The SMPS has already a 20 Ohm(19Amax?) NTC Thermistor at its input.

You should consider to choose a "DC error detector/speaker protection" system (like LC's) that is able to be connected to the DC error input of your Very Big SMPS and shut it down in case of fault.
Your SMPS has also an auxiliary, lower voltage, PS in case you need to power the module.

Best wishes.
M.

IMG_20191029_043348.jpg

Working on balanced receiver for First One Large. Receiver from Virtual Zero Audio. Switch between SE and balanced vi relays.

Something I do not understand. VR1 and VR2 adjustment I understand. But what is the purpose off VR3? In my latest I adjusted to equal VAS in both channels. But how comes one channel is much hotter then the other. I am not sure if I dare do use it. Could be a oscillation problem in the hot channel?

Have you got a schematic you can send me Erlend I will tell you what both of them do?

Thanks but Lazy Cat did not realise the schematic. But I can send the explanation for the adjustment procedure?

Looks like I must bring some monoamp versions tonight for the club.
Pity because I wanted to try what the Balanced receiver does for the amp.

email me the installation manual or whatever you have and I will have a quick look for you.

I just sent PDF files from another mail acount then usual.

Thank You

Hi Erlend

TR3 adjusts the output stage bias as you have done, however by adjusting the output bias this can affect the VAS balance bias as well, so the manual says.
So once the bias is adjusted you must recheck the VAS balance and if needed re-adjust. VAS Balance adjustment will also affect DC offset as well so be sure to check this.

The output stage needs to be adjusted to 280ma.

Last edited: