• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

First One - mosFET amplifier module

Fake or bad caps....
I bought 8 pieces ELNA FOR AUDIO 10000uf 63v from AUDIOPHONICS to use them in my FO and the measurements showed about 8400 uf.After sales services told me that tolerance is 20% so these caps are OK.But i have never seen in my life before branded product such as ELNA for audio to have such low measurements.They usually have at least 5-10 percent more.I have 7pcs 10 yo ELNA caps and they have 11000uf or more. I am very disappointed and of course I will not use them.Of course they refused my review that's why I'm publishing it here.

New FO modules to be launched in 2018

FO modules v1.6 in final phase of preparation, schematic locked, measurements done. PCB layout on my LCD screen so it looks we could still manage them to be dated with 2018 mark.

FO module v1.6 is unconditionally stable and has been thoroughly sound tested at each step of development with two slightly different amplifiers, one having previous - another current variant, so always better sample proceeded to the next level. Time consuming process gave amazing result, we think. Stay tuned.

Pic showing 500 kHz square wave signal at 20 Vpp on 8 Ohm load.

Attachments

• FO_20Vpp.jpg
    FO_20Vpp.jpg
    481.1 KB · Views: 723
All measurements and listening sessions done with large modules. No worries, medium will share same topology only one pair of output mosfets. Experienced tons of amps in our system, all kind of brands and profiles, without any doubt or exaggeration I can say FO will be fearless giant killer.

Interested... still have to built my L project but wouldn't mind sizing down... .

Any ideas on price setting for the new modules?
And, LC, somewhere you mentioned you where considering encapsulating the modules in resin... . will you stick to that plan?

And while we're at it... I'd be interested in your experiences with the metrum Pavanne compared to the other dacs your using... .

Cheers,

Rob

Interested... still have to built my L project but wouldn't mind sizing down... .

Don't need to, First One L will be produced too.

Any ideas on price setting for the new modules?

Same price range as they were, so prices set in the first post of this theme are valid.

And, LC, somewhere you mentioned you where considering encapsulating the modules in resin... . will you stick to that plan?

Most probably only parts of it, not complete module.

And while we're at it... I'd be interested in your experiences with the metrum Pavanne compared to the other dacs your using... .

Cheers,

Rob

We use Adagio by Metrum, of course slightly modified, in our main system. I like it is true dual mono DAC, L/R channel's GND are isolated. S/N ratio, feed-forward correction and dynamics are state of the art.

Cheers

Entry level First One module, which is the smallest in the new modules family, has size 80 x 50 mm and could be powered with variety of PSU voltages, meaning power ratings from 50 to 150 W on 8 ohm speakers. Less power is to my opinion reserved for chip amps, therefore no interest of mine. I'm sure you'll be enthusiastic using our smallest module which will find place in many active powered speakers and multi-channel home theater power amps.

v1.6 modules

What is the timeline for the new v1.6 modules availability?

Also, Metrum Adagio is under quite a competition over there. Care to share the differences between Adagio and MSB Select/Reference products you have over there?

In 2018 we had a lot of supporting equipment for our R&D purposes like Grande Utopia Focal loudspeakers, Select and Reference MSB DAC, Adagio Metrum DAC, Siegfried Reference monoblock and preamplifier VTL, Reference 10 preamplifier Audio Research and many many more. The aim of having them for comparisons was to be at least on the same SQ level like the ones mentioned.

Over the weekend we had official launch accompanied with presentation of our new First One 600 power amplifier based on v1.6 modules. 8 power devices per channel generously gives 600 W on 4 Ohm load, easly 1200 W on 2 Ohm. The sound through Mini One speakers was appealing, detailed, realistic attributes kind, we enjoyed together with lots of visitors.

Attachments

• IMG_0617.jpg
    IMG_0617.jpg
    983.7 KB · Views: 500
Wow! Looks very cool with the Faraday cage for power supply. Would love to see more pictures of the amp.

Btw, what is the power dissipation of new v1.6 modules with 8 devices? You have some big heatsinks.

Over the weekend we had official launch accompanied with presentation of our new First One 600 power amplifier based on v1.6 modules. 8 power devices per channel generously gives 600 W on 4 Ohm load, easly 1200 W on 2 Ohm. The sound through Mini One speakers was appealing, detailed, realistic attributes kind, we enjoyed together with lots of visitors.