• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

First One - mosFET amplifier module

Hi, can you direct me to some link where temp coeficient of this heatsink is noticeable?

First One has 280 mA idle current (sum current per rail) so at +/-63 V module is dissipating 35,28 W idle power and that is quite a lot because it is constant, filling heatsink thermal capacity substantially, something not to underestimate at all.

Dissipation is 0,67Kw

Hi LC, two red beauties are here, Thanks

One question:
What about single SMPS3k instead of dual SMPS1200, sound wise ?

Same SMPS generic, never tested but yes, very much possible the same sound character although with unlimited power. :cool:

Dissipation is 0,67Kw

Theatsink=Troom + 35,28 W * 0,67°K/W=23°C + 23,64°C=46,64°C (idle)

Quite high heatsink temperature in idle state, I would suggest to use 0,5°K/W or even less. :cool:

Important notice to GB members

Hi all dear :wave2:

Guys don't be fooled with a small size of the First One modules possibly holding in your hands just now, got to know this: this is a very BIG amplifier considering sound signature, be prepared to be strongly surprised immediately after turning this little beast alive.

At the moment, all GB members already received the modules, please slowly prepare all the mechanics, chassis, heatsinks, terminal connectors, etc., but please don't do any wiring yet. On daily basis testing of the First One in the chassis is taking place, the aim is to find out the best possible grounding scheme and I can tell you all that we already have it. Final touch in day or two and then new detailed chassis wiring scheme will be published in this thread or maybe just sending it to PM of GM members, we'll see.

Regards, L.C. :cheers:

Attachments

• First One chassis 5.jpg
    First One chassis 5.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 847
Hi LC,
it really sounds good. I really enjoy this project.

Please excuse my stupid question, but on page 1, it is written:

"Maximal power (20 Hz - 20 kHz, THD 0,1 %)
160 Wrms/8 Ohm
250 Wrms/4 Ohm"

So why a SMPS1200 is needed ?

Regards,

Christian.

Because of its output current capability, speaker's impedance can easily go as low as 2 Ohm anywhere in impedance curve, so if we calculate current needed ... :yes:

Actually,
I don't Have the specs of my speakers : my brother built them. They are 2 ways speakers, 8ohm, 89db.

For the SMPS, it is a Connexelectronic 500R. I use it for my L15D:

SMPS500R +-55V (dual voltage) 230V Power Supply

Is this helpful: (If i have misunderstood the subject someone please pop in and correct)
low impedance load needs current elastic.
High impedance load needs voltage elastic.
Example SMPS500R. Current x Voltage = watts (7,8125 x 64 = 500), therefor buing SMPS in same wattage envelope rule = high voltage 64V you get less current (optimal for high impedance load), and buing lower voltage type one gets more current (optimal for low impedance load).
LC's recommended PSU cover i guess both low/high (4ohm/8ohm) impedance loads by being a 1200watt supply.
Therefore if on a budget and you go SMPS500R way, for 8ohm use 64V type and 4ohm 40-50V (last is a guess without investigate further).
For having enough PSU fuel for the amp module not degrading sound performance if using SMPS500R i think you need one SMPS per amp, but of course you can start with your SMPS +/-55V feeding both amps but be aware from some volume and up you degrade the amps sound performance because PSU can't deliver fuel, also because your load seems 8ohm optimal is 64V supply.
Seems a compromise though going SMPS500R way and covering wide impedance load spectra and high volume, but if one never goes highest volume and never replace speakers with other loads, the optimal voltage/current SMPS500R could be used for lover cost.

Last edited:
Actually,
I don't Have the specs of my speakers : my brother built them. They are 2 ways speakers, 8ohm, 89db.

For the SMPS, it is a Connexelectronic 500R. I use it for my L15D:

SMPS500R +-55V (dual voltage) 230V Power Supply

Speaker's impedance is likely to be more than 4 ohm anywhere on the curve. :)

As SMPS500R is softly switched it has less efficiency, more idle dissipation when connected to the First One, so I definitely recommend you to use one per channel, dual mono configuration for sure. ;)

LC's recommended PSU cover i guess both low/high (4ohm/8ohm) impedance loads by being a 1200watt supply.

Thanks BYRTT for your support helping GB members with thorough and very useful advices. :worship:

Guys, I have a lot of positive experiences with SMPS1200A400 in over a year period of testing, long term loud listening exhibition sessions, different private systems, customers etc., not even one remark whatsoever raised up till now. As BYRTT already said I picked it because it is universal, providing high power, high voltage and high current, so it covers most types of system configurations, delivering clean power instantly, current on demand always there when needed and best of all in a coolish possible behaviour as cool can be. :cool:

Hi LC, I would have a question regarding the recommended Mica insulator to be ordered:
A 25x20mm for TO-247 I suppose : correct?
It seems these are not stocked by the main distributors but are pretty easy to find on ebay though they come on different thicknesses (0.1, 0.2 or 0.25mm). I guess thinner is better for thermal conductivity. Any concern with using 0.1mm thickness?