Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

First One - mosfet amplifier module
First One - mosfet amplifier module
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th May 2014, 09:44 PM   #771
Lazy Cat is offline Lazy Cat  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by back View Post
i received four modules yesterday here in crete.

beautiful LC thanks.

they will go inside active speakers so what about grounding?

just heatsink connected to mains earth?
Hi

If the heatsink is the whole amp chassis bolted to back panel of the speaker, then yes, only heatsink connected to mains earth. GND from SMPS output goes to the earth bolt too, meaning all together two wires connected to this earth bolt.

Regards, L.C.
Old 20th May 2014, 09:56 PM   #772
Mark Verhoeven is offline Mark Verhoeven  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Anyone compared the FO to any of the Holton modules?
Old 20th May 2014, 10:53 PM   #773
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taccodude View Post
How high can the temperature go and where to measure.with FO ?Today I hooked up the FO with a simple PSU and not so big Heatsinks. After 2 Hours we reached 62C on the thick Part of the Heatsink where the Finns are,is that still ok?I shut it of then.Sound is good so far,very detailed even in Bass Area ,dead quite,wonder what`s gona happen with SMPS,if it`s really a big jump up.
62 C is too hot too handle, your heatsink is way too small. Idle power dissipation should bring the amp heatsink to 46 C in a long term. Look for the heatsinks which have 0,4 K/W. What do you mean by SMPS big jump up?
Old 21st May 2014, 04:26 AM   #774
diyAudio Member

Ooo yeah SQ will jump up hehe
Old 21st May 2014, 08:21 AM   #775
danny_66 is online now danny_66  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Cat View Post
Look for the heatsinks which have 0,4 K/W.
Ok, good to know.
I still have a Hifi-2000 03/400 case, a 03/300 has 0.41 k/w so a 03/400 is about 0.31 k/w.
That will do nicely with my speakers which dip to 3ohm@100-200Hz

Last edited by danny_66; 21st May 2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 21st May 2014, 11:27 AM   #776
Edgar is offline Edgar  Norway
diyAudio Member

FO arrived to Norway a few days ago. This is a nicely made diy-product you made for us Lazy cat!

I'm figuring out how to mate your amps to my coldamp sps80 psu. I have attached a picture modified from the coldamp manual. I have added a connection from input gnd on amps to earth on smps. In the manual it states: "Note that output GND is electrically isolated from mains and Earth". Does this seem ok to you?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kobling FO.jpg (97.7 KB, 746 views)
Old 21st May 2014, 11:51 AM   #777
diyAudio Member

Edgar, look very carefuly and compare it to stereo connection sch from First One user manual and you will see they are 100% the same.

As we experimented with GND wiring for best results, my advice is to remove all three green wires and connect only main GND pin from SMPS to earth bolt.
Old 21st May 2014, 11:56 AM   #778
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_66 View Post
Ok, good to know.
I still have a Hifi-2000 03/400 case, a 03/300 has 0.41 k/w so a 03/400 is about 0.31 k/w.
That will do nicely with my speakers which dip to 3ohm@100-200Hz
Hi Danny

That would be just perfect.

Regards, L.C.
Old 21st May 2014, 02:14 PM   #779
camelator is offline camelator  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Cat View Post
Edgar, look very carefuly and compare it to stereo connection sch from First One user manual and you will see they are 100% the same.

As we experimented with GND wiring for best results, my advice is to remove all three green wires and connect only main GND pin from SMPS to earth bolt.
Agree, and please LC correct me if I am wrong, but I think it is better to have a star ground. To do it, it is better to link speaker GND together to PSU GND and PSU GND to amplifier GND.

Am I Right?
Old 21st May 2014, 04:11 PM   #780
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelator View Post
Agree, and please LC correct me if I am wrong, but I think it is better to have a star ground. To do it, it is better to link speaker GND together to PSU GND and PSU GND to amplifier GND.

Am I Right?
No, not in this case, speaker GND has to be connected on the First One module, mandatory.

In previous post I have explained correlation between GND and earth potential. Star GND has nothing to do with earthing and is already done on First One PCB.

First One - mosfet amplifier moduleHide this!Advertise here!